Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3PD. Issues: Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, no frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur

The photos you posted show some defects that are beyond what we would accept.

Tesla should not have delivered this vehicle as a new car.

Is this is the car you purchased after trading your AWD? Did Tesla offer you a "deal" on the P3D that enabled your crunched numbers to result in a more satisfactory bottom line?

I have to echo the question above...why did you accept delivery? In my opinion, that's on you.

Something doesn't add up in this whole scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
If you think the condition is that bad, why did you take delivery of it?
The service center garage is pretty dark. It's not as though I was going to ask them to pull the car out to the front parking lot so I can look at at inch by inch. The door sill issue I was going to let go if that was the flaw. When I got home I noticed that the hood edge was catching the light. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a chunk of metal missing and than I went on a goose hunt to find all the issues.

The photos you posted show some defects that are beyond what we would accept.

Tesla should not have delivered this vehicle as a new car.

Is this is the car you purchased after trading your AWD? Did Tesla offer you a "deal" on the P3D that enabled your crunched numbers to result in a more satisfactory bottom line?

I have to echo the question above...why did you accept delivery? In my opinion, that's on you.

Something doesn't add up in this whole scenario.
Yup, this is the car I purchased after I traded in my AWD. No deal, I paid full sticker (minus the one comp. feature of white interior). After crunching the numbers, it was 12K+ I had to pay extra to go P3D but I don't have regrets about that. I do have regrets that I accepted this POS car that gave me.

Well you do have 7days/1000 miles to return it.
Contemplating on doing that. I'm not sure HOW they'll even fix these. I'm a bit blown as I found these flaws after I installed my door sill protectors and handle wraps. Man, I just have terrible effing luck.

AGAIN MY BLACK CONSOLE CAME SCRATCHED AND STAINED (like water marks). I'm really starting to think them having a dark garage is intentional.

Reactions: Petrocelli
If it was my car, having paid full price, I would return it immediately and wait for a flawless (as possible) replacement.

Be firm but pleasant with the return, even though you are simmering inside. You don't want to create animosity from the sales/delivery team.

I can't imagine Tesla wouldn't sell you another of the same trim, but if that's their position, then I'd walk.

Oh and my brakes sqeak.

Its weird, leading up to delivery, I was stressing the freak out that I would get a beat up car. As luck has it, my worst fears came true.
Regardless of if I rejected delivery or not, I'm just really bummed at this whole situation.
I'm bummed that my AWD wasn't flawless and now I'm bummed that the p3D is 10X worst than the original. How is this even possible for cars with 3 miles on the ODO.

When I see people complain about Tesla's build quality, I just tell myself its because people only use forums to complain. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt but that was before I took delivery of my P3D today.
The MD service center is a bit dark so its hard to really see any flaws but once I came home I did a brief once over and GEEZ, what the eff.
Not to mention that there were some "dirt" finger prints on the vanity mirror. Not only that the black console was all scratched up. I know its glossy black plastic and I know it scratches easily but I don't like when it COMES scratched.
I think its from when the delivery advisor had the key cards resting on the gloss black WHILE still wrapped in a crinkled plastic wrapper and it probably slid around.

I'm still a bit irked. My AWD had little issues but this is definitely more.
I emailed them the due bill right now but still, I'm irritated to the point on whether I should ask for a vehicle swap or something. What the heck.

Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, little scratches here and there, no frunk mat given.
Am I being too anal?

I'm still irked that my plastic came scratched up though.

Imgur

How many miles were on the odometer at pickup?

I normally think most of the complaints are much ado about nothing, but the metal gouge would be a big no-no for me. Same with the chipped paint.

The marks on the plastic inside the door sills though isn't a big deal - getting in the car once makes that happen. Same thing on other cars I've had too - it's not a Tesla feature. :)

All this said, I'd either ask then to fix the paint and repair the hood, or take the car back. Those gouges are deep but thankfully the hood is easily replaced - 4 bolts.

Oh - and the mat? You're better off with the 3D MAXpider ones anyway ...

There are a few cardinal rules that people must follow

A - Don't pick up the car at night. You won't be able to see any of the paint defects, and with a Tesla the paint is really what you have to watch out for.

B - Try to insist on seeing it outdoors

C - Try to get them to assign a detailer to you to fix some of the obvious stuff. Sometimes its hard to tell what needs a due bill and what can be done right there

D - Don't feel pressured to take delivery. Either delay it for them to fix the issues, or simply get another VIN if it's really bad.

E - Assume the worst when picking up the car. That way you can be pleasantly surprised if you get lucky.

How many miles were on the odometer at pickup?

I normally think most of the complaints are much ado about nothing, but the metal gouge would be a big no-no for me. Same with the chipped paint.

The marks on the plastic inside the door sills though isn't a big deal - getting in the car once makes that happen. Same thing on other cars I've had too - it's not a Tesla feature. :)

All this said, I'd either ask then to fix the paint and repair the hood, or take the car back. Those gouges are deep but thankfully the hood is easily replaced - 4 bolts.

Oh - and the mat? You're better off with the 3D MAXpider ones anyway ...

My AWD also had the scratches on the sill but less severe. The passenger side is pristine as it was on my AWD. I'm starting to think its just a negligent tech./test driver who is just dragging his feet while getting in the car.
I mean its impossible to get a flawless car, I understand that but the gouges, then the paint issues, AND THEN the little scratches (probably 5 areas) here and there on the actual door corners, the scratched glossy plastic, etc. Needless to say, this was a pretty sucky experience.

Oh and my brakes sqeak.

Its weird, leading up to delivery, I was stressing the freak out that I would get a beat up car. As luck has it, my worst fears came true.
Regardless of if I rejected delivery or not, I'm just really bummed at this whole situation.
I'm bummed that my AWD wasn't flawless and now I'm bummed that the p3D is 10X worst than the original. How is this even possible for cars with 3 miles on the ODO.
Wow 3 miles, that was my next question. My car has 12k miles and it has less chips. That looks like a 1k mi loaner.

Reactions: tvad
My AWD also had the scratches on the sill but less severe. The passenger side is pristine as it was on my AWD. I'm starting to think its just a negligent tech./test driver who is just dragging his feet while getting in the car.
I mean its impossible to get a flawless car, I understand that but the gouges, then the paint issues, AND THEN the little scratches (probably 5 areas) here and there on the actual door corners, the scratched glossy plastic, etc. Needless to say, this was a pretty sucky experience.

So -- did you talk to them about it yet? The paint can definitely be fixed. The hood, yeah, worst case, they replace the whole thing.

As for the plastic scuffs - well, yeah. You're gonna do it too. That one I'd probably let go. Hit it with a little bit of this stuff and it'll clean right up ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMLWH8/

Sorry man. This is excessive; they should be fixing it no questions asked.