Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3PD. Issues: Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, no frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So -- did you talk to them about it yet? The paint can definitely be fixed. The hood, yeah, worst case, they replace the whole thing.

As for the plastic scuffs - well, yeah. You're gonna do it too. That one I'd probably let go. Hit it with a little bit of this stuff and it'll clean right up ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMLWH8/

Sorry man. This is excessive; they should be fixing it no questions asked.

Eh the delivery person tried it. I pointed it out to him briefly and he said "it'll remove easy!" and tried his cleaning product. After him scrubbing back and forth I told him not to worry about it. I felt bad cause he seemed a bit embarrassed as he claimed it would be a easy fix. Plus as you mentioned its a door sill scuff, its whatever. Now if it was ONLY the door sill scuff, that's fine, but coupled with all this stuff. I'm irritated even more at that scuff.

I emailed my service center with the photos and also pointed out that this car is in worse shape than my AWD in august, which wasn't pristine as well. I told them I wanted to get this issues rectified before my 7 day return period or if I could swap for a better condition car (Tysons, VA has 2 of the same models right now).

After a few minutes of sending that, the hive mentality of your replies got me and I sent a follow up email saying

"Actually, I would also like to know what the process is for returning or swapping the vehicle.
I'm a bit appalled at the condition the car was in.
In hindsight, I should not have accepted the vehicle."

I hope it wasn't too confrontational :(

The service center garage is pretty dark. It's not as though I was going to ask them to pull the car out to the front parking lot so I can look at at inch by inch.

Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do! Pick up the car during daylight hours, bring a flashlight, move it to a location with sufficient light to inspect it thoroughly and only accept it if you are completely satisfied with it.

I’ve spent at least 45 minutes inspecting the three Model 3’s that I picked up this year, and I rejected two of them for similar defects. Rejecting a car at delivery is no big deal, but going the refund route is a huge mess. You will wait 60 days to get a refund, and they will try to prevent you from reordering the same trim. It should only be used as a last resort.

I would see if they are willing to put in writing that they will fix all of the issues and if so I would go that route. If not, I would return it.

Eh the delivery person tried it. I pointed it out to him briefly and he said "it'll remove easy!" and tried his cleaning product. After him scrubbing back and forth I told him not to worry about it. I felt bad cause he seemed a bit embarrassed as he claimed it would be a easy fix. Plus as you mentioned its a door sill scuff, its whatever. Now if it was ONLY the door sill scuff, that's fine, but coupled with all this stuff. I'm irritated even more at that scuff.

I emailed my service center with the photos and also pointed out that this car is in worse shape than my AWD in august, which wasn't pristine as well. I told them I wanted to get this issues rectified before my 7 day return period or if I could swap for a better condition car (Tysons, VA has 2 of the same models right now).

After a few minutes of sending that, the hive mentality of your replies got me and I sent a follow up email saying

"Actually, I would also like to know what the process is for returning or swapping the vehicle.
I'm a bit appalled at the condition the car was in.
In hindsight, I should not have accepted the vehicle."

I hope it wasn't too confrontational :(

Well, I'm one for giving a fair shot - so if it were my car, I'd give them a chance to make it right before I went down the "swap or replace" path. But that's me.

Curious what they say tomorrow. My personal suggestion would be to go there IN PERSON - it's much harder to deny the issues when it's in live and not via email. I realize it's your time and all, but some things are worth an investment in time ...

AGAIN MY BLACK CONSOLE CAME SCRATCHED AND STAINED (like water marks). I'm really starting to think them having a dark garage is intentional.

I use black liquid shoe polish that has a foam applicator. Come on, folks. Surely you can fix a few things. And sometimes the "stain" comes right off with a cloth. Often it is just hand lotion left by a lady passenger. I also have had black fingerprints on my driver's side headliner, which came off with a little water, a little rubbing alcohol and a teensy bit of liquid soap (not even a drop) applied with a sponge. It disappeared like magic.

I did not have to go to a service center or complain on a forum. I just fix it myself. It's really easy, people! Even I can do it.

I use black liquid shoe polish that has a foam applicator. Come on, folks. Surely you can fix a few things. And sometimes the "stain" comes right off with a cloth. Often it is just hand lotion left by a lady passenger. I also have had black fingerprints on my driver's side headliner, which came off with a little water, a little rubbing alcohol and a teensy bit of liquid soap (not even a drop) applied with a sponge. It disappeared like magic.

I did not have to go to a service center or complain on a forum. I just fix it myself. It's really easy, people! Even I can do it.
I don’t believe you have looked at the OP’s photos. If you had you would see paint chips and flaws that cannot be fixed at home to look as a new car should.

Reactions: dmurphy

The black console can't be fixed unfortunately.
Imgur

I mean things like the silver scratch on the door trim, I don't really care about that but someone scratching up the interior irritates me. I'm not sure whether they can replace that whole glossy piece. I know someone here will say "you can just get a wrap and hide it" but the fact is I know that its scratched up.

Well, I'm one for giving a fair shot - so if it were my car, I'd give them a chance to make it right before I went down the "swap or replace" path. But that's me.
The problem is that once you wait 7 days you’re stuck with the car and possible service hell. The quality of your service center and the local body shop doing the work should also factor into whether or not you try to get it fixed. Do they answer the phone when you call? If not, accept it as is or return it.
Tesla really needs to extend their return window to not count the time the cars are getting fixed. It’s possible that they can fix the issues but I wouldn’t want to give up the ability to return it until after the work was done.

Really appreciate all the responses guys. Really helps calm my nerves.
It seems as though even the senior members seem to be in agreement that this is an actual cause of concern.
I plan on dropping by the service center tomorrow so see what can be done.
I'm leaning for a swap but if they say that's absolutely out of the question, I honestly don't know what I'll decide to do at that point.
As @Daniel in SD mentioned, once I'm past that 7 days, I'm stuck with the vehicle. I'm assuming that means if I drop off the vehicle tomorrow and they say repairs will take 10 days then I have no other recourse but to keep it.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I just can't understand why anyone would post something like this on a forum in the first place. I mean there are so many whiny people complaining about xyz that I am just gobstruck by the meaningless lives so may people live. Really so much time to complain about a stain? or a panel off by 1/16" of an inch or whatever trivial ultra first world issues you are consumed with today. Man, go get on a bicycle and ride up a mountain, smell the air, walk. Go visit a children's cancer ward and read to a child or play a game with them, go to a nursing home and play gin rummy with a stranger.

Umm...I can do all of those things AND inspect my car before taking delivery of it to make sure it’s in good condition.