Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3PD. Issues: Paint pits, paint drips, front hood gouges, door sill scratches, no frunk mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update!

At the service center right now.
they said the hood would be a replacement but the back bubbling paint would have to be done by the body shop and repainted. The paint chip on the front bumper would have to be a repaint as well.
He didn’t specify on what he’ll do for the door sill scratches or center console scratches.
I asked if a swap was possible but he said that wasn’t an option, only a refund.
He’s pushing (of course) for a repair than a refund but I don’t know. A brand new car having to be in a body shop already has me a bit hesitant.
He did mention I wouldn’t be able to order the same trim (p3d) if I choose to return which makes this more complicated.

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
Thanks for the update.

As these cars are painted at the factory with all the panels on, be careful if they swap a panel, the metallic/pearls may be hard to match.

Is your service center technically “open” on the weekend? Mine is closed so I don’t know if anyone is there.

My car (took delivery yesterday) has a deep chip down the metal on the bottom outside edge of the driver door. Clearly someone opened the door into something. It sucks but I’m thinking I’ll probably just ask for a free touch up kit and do it myself. I have read many many horror stories here of cars coming back worse than when they entered body shops. Be careful my friend.

If you’re good with your hands consider doing the small chips yourself. Fill with paint until level with the surface, then wet sand with 2000 grit, then polish over with a DA. Will be barely noticeable, if at all.

I’m in a state that makes you pay in full before delivery, so I owned the car about a week in advance of delivery. There would have been no way for me to reject at delivery, only return.

Update!

At the service center right now.
they said the hood would be a replacement but the back bubbling paint would have to be done by the body shop and repainted. The paint chip on the front bumper would have to be a repaint as well.
He didn’t specify on what he’ll do for the door sill scratches or center console scratches.
I asked if a swap was possible but he said that wasn’t an option, only a refund.
He’s pushing (of course) for a repair than a refund but I don’t know. A brand new car having to be in a body shop already has me a bit hesitant.
He did mention I wouldn’t be able to order the same trim (p3d) if I choose to return which makes this more complicated.

Will Tesla give you a loaner while your car is being repaired? If so, you should probably go that route.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Just got back from the service center and have some so/so news.

1. Hood would be completely replaced
2. Bumper would be completed replaced
3. He'll give me a new plastic door sill piece
4. Usually he doesn't do it but will also change out the center console
5. Will paint the rear panels (where the bubbling occurs)

To get into specifics, he said swapping to a brand new vehicle located at Tysons, VA is impossible and not allowed. I have to either repair the car or keep it. No swaps.
More importantly if I choose the return route, the refund would take 4-6 weeks (not a big deal), but I can't buy the P3D for a whole year. No exceptions. This is what's really holding me back and I'm conflicted.
I'm also a bit weary knowing that they have to tear open to car to replace the center console AS WELL as dissemble the rear two panels to repaint it.
I asked for some compensation like FSD but he says he doesn't have the power to that.
I'm pretty torn on this decision.
I was contemplating on asking for monetary reimbursement and just leave the rear paint bubbles but think that would be shot down as well.

He was really pushing the repair route and thats understandable. Real nice guy, seemed to try to understand my concerns. Still, knowing that a brand new car needs paint work done and needs to be dissembled has me very anxious. He said he'll order the parts to have ready in case I want to go that route but the bubbling in the rear has to be sent to a Tesla body shop. Man, this blows.

What would you guys do? Return it and just not drive a Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Can you return it and buy again under your wife's name? Just throwing out an option. That wouldn't trigger the 1 year no re-sale policy.

Unfortunately I'm single. I would be lying if I said I didn't think about that though. I've contemplated on using a family members name but don't want them involved in this whole situation.
I was considering tweeting to Elon or something but I don't think he cares too much about a single sale gone bad lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool
Get it fixed and quit bitchin. These are all pretty small cosmetic issues in the grand scheme of things. Drivability isn't affected AT ALL. Personally- I'd be happy with the hood/bumper replaced and some touchups. The center console I think is overkill. Get a $40 wrap and install it yourself- it'll go better with your interior anyways. With all that being said-NONE of this should happen from the manufacturer. I feel sorry you're in such a dilemma.

How good is your service center and how close is it to your house? Do they answer the phone? Will you get a loaner?
For what it's worth I had paint work done on mine after delivery (fingerprint in paint on top of bumper!) and it looks great. I had PPF put on and the guy said it looked better than what he's seen from the factory.

How good is your service center and how close is it to your house? Do they answer the phone? Will you get a loaner?
For what it's worth I had paint work done on mine after delivery (fingerprint in paint on top of bumper!) and it looks great. I had PPF put on and the guy said it looked better than what he's seen from the factory.

Distance wise about twenty minutes. Can't say on the quality of service though as I never had to bring it in. They answer well on the weekdays, not so much today.
How soon after taking delivery did you have to do the repaint?

I have only had good experiences with paint and body work from reputable shops so I wouldn’t personally have an issue with that option. The professionals there may even see other blemishes and items you didn’t notice and get them fixed.

I hate the piano black so I would wrap...after they fix it. I’m with you. I would know the scratches are under there and it would bug me.

I’m glad they’re being responsive even if the options aren’t great. It’s good to hear they’re taking it seriously.

Just got back from the service center and have some so/so news.

1. Hood would be completely replaced
2. Bumper would be completed replaced
3. He'll give me a new plastic door sill piece
4. Usually he doesn't do it but will also change out the center console
5. Will paint the rear panels (where the bubbling occurs)

To get into specifics, he said swapping to a brand new vehicle located at Tysons, VA is impossible and not allowed. I have to either repair the car or keep it. No swaps.
More importantly if I choose the return route, the refund would take 4-6 weeks (not a big deal), but I can't buy the P3D for a whole year. No exceptions. This is what's really holding me back and I'm conflicted.
I'm also a bit weary knowing that they have to tear open to car to replace the center console AS WELL as dissemble the rear two panels to repaint it.
I asked for some compensation like FSD but he says he doesn't have the power to that.
I'm pretty torn on this decision.
I was contemplating on asking for monetary reimbursement and just leave the rear paint bubbles but think that would be shot down as well.

He was really pushing the repair route and thats understandable. Real nice guy, seemed to try to understand my concerns. Still, knowing that a brand new car needs paint work done and needs to be dissembled has me very anxious. He said he'll order the parts to have ready in case I want to go that route but the bubbling in the rear has to be sent to a Tesla body shop. Man, this blows.

If they treat you like this while you still have leverage (lemon law, return window, etc), imagine how they'll treat you once the car is fully in your hands.

Hard pass.

I would just let them touch up everything, no repainting. Once you start replacing body panels there is no going back, it’s too risky, if the paint don’t match you are stuck with it.

Ask them for a monetary settlement. It’s going to cost them a considerable amount to replace panels and paint.

Leaning towards just keeping the car and getting it fixed.
I'm tired of this whole song and dance.
The refund will also be complicated as I'll only be refunded less than the actual sticker price as I was taxed on the difference after I traded my original AWD in (tax paid of $670 vs 3K+).
I'm definitely going to get front bumper, front hood, and door sill replaced.
Need to decide if I want to get the midconsole and back panels replaced though.

Leaning towards just keeping the car and getting it fixed.
I'm tired of this whole song and dance.
The refund will also be complicated as I'll only be refunded less than the actual sticker price as I was taxed on the difference after I traded my original AWD in (tax paid of $670 vs 3K+).
I'm definitely going to get front bumper, front hood, and door sill replaced.
Need to decide if I want to get the midconsole and back panels replaced though.

The midconsole is really no big deal at all. Just a couple screws and the whole thing comes right out. It’s very minor work to be honest.

I’d lean the way you are - replace the damaged panels, touch up the paint and it’ll all be good. Gotta keep it all in mind ... aside from the hood, the rest is all cosmetic paint stuff. Nothing that affects the structure, drivability or function of the car.
Should it get fixed? Sure. But the car itself is solid. :)

I appreciate your dilemma. We all want things to be perfect. My last car was a Toyota, it had some scratches on the lower front fender at delivery. I was gutted and wanted to walk away.

They offered to buff it out, and once I got over my initial reaction I let them. It was not at all visible after that.

Good luck with your decision.

The earliest appointment is 9/30 but my return period is 9/27. Should I get something in writing or something?
I don't want a situation where they seem as though they're going above and beyond to get this fixed and then right when I'm outside of the return period, they hit me with a "tough luck. Actually we can't replace the mid console, or trim, or etc etc."