Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New: 3rd row seats now 'standard' (9/16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alternative theory:

It is associated with the non-folding seats. Perhaps without a third row there would be standard folding seats, but those are not ready yet for... reasons. Maybe they will have more granularity if a more final seat setup appears later, say, mid-2016.

If this was about an uproar last year, why "launch" with non-standard third-row and only change minds now?

The third row appearing as standard could be associated with second row seats' mention moving from Signature only to standard. And if so, it could be associated with the wider mess.

Perhaps because the "launch" hasn't happened yet and some of this stuff is still being sorted?

Possible, of course. However it is kind of big thing to say third row goes from optional to standard now, because of an uproar last year. If that theory was a motivator, I would have expected it to have happened earlier. Hence I'm looking at alternatives. Of course it may be merely marketing working on outdated materials or making a mistake.

This will be easy enough to estimate in time:

If a folding second-row for Model X appears and makes the 3rd row optional with it, then you get the point I was driving at. Until then we'd get the non-folding second row with standard third row.

If this doesn't happen (or we don't hear from behind the scenes that something like this happened), then my speculation of course is likely wrong.

Same with a compromised-at-launch Model X. If a folding second-row appears within a reasonable time, say within a year or such ballpark, I would say the it probably was just delayed and launch thus compromised with the non-folding option only.

If this doesn't happen, then my speculation of course has likely been wrong.

These things may be connected or they may not, but we will see over time as the Model X offering evolves and we hear more of the story behind the scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

Facts just mess things up. Please stop.

We hardly have all the facts. Hence there is a certain valid need to fill up the rest. It is not in Tesla's interest to spill all the beans, but it is in the interest of some of us to know and understand them.

I have a vested interest too, in the form of a Signature reservation, you know. I think it is good to try and understand what we are getting and why - to gain perspectives on what may be appearing later.

That said, in addition to thinking things through as above, I am patiently waiting for September 29th as well and recommend everyone with a decision to make does the same. Premature conclusions rarely help when it is a matter of days now to learn probably a lot more.

However it is kind of big thing to say third row goes from optional to standard now....

It didn't. I think you missed the point. You're assuming it was optional just because it was listed under the signature items and Tesla clarified that by relocating the text.

If everything is going to picked to death in excruciating speculation it becomes no fun to post anymore, at least for me; I'll leave others to post further updates.

Last edited:
Perhaps because the "launch" hasn't happened yet and some of this stuff is still being sorted?

they "launch" probably won't happen until 6 months after they start delivery. maybe longer. hell they keep changing what's standard vs optional in the MS and it's been 3 years of this comedy now.

- - - Updated - - -

If everything is going to picked to death in excruciating speculation it becomes no fun to post anymore

but I thought that was the entire purpose of car enthusiast forums :p

Great for those of us who where getting them anyway. Bad for those who did not want them.
I personally don't like paying for stuff I do not want :) Strange that Elon turned in the "3rd row optional" statement.
I don't think it's a coincidence that this changed in the Design Studio after all the forum uproar. Part of me thinks that maybe EM said, "OK, just throw it in - they can't complain if it's free!"

He must be new.
Oh, wait, did you mean Elon? Pretty sure he's been with the company for a little while now.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't take it too hard, somebody has to be new. And trust me, it could be worse. You could be the guy three posts above. :biggrin: (Yes, inquiring minds what to know, three posts above from what starting post.)
Well if the alternative to "new" is "old" then I'm OK with that. :) And yeah, AR does get a lot of razzing, though I have to say it's at least partially self-inflicted.

It didn't. I think you missed the point. You're assuming it was optional just because it was listed under the signature items and Tesla clarified that by relocating the text.

If everything is going to picked to death in excruciating speculation it becomes no fun to post anymore, at least for me; I'll leave others to post further updates.

I have definitely been appreciating your updates Nigel, but completely understand your statement!

That's the configuration my kids like the most in our old minivan... great for legroom!

Saying that I think there will be some serious ironmongery involved hidden below the floor, and I very much doubt you can just unbolt row 2.

View attachment 94465

Given the seatbelt is mounted at the top of the seat in the event of an accident many 000's of lbs will trying to pull the top of the seat forward. The seat and pedestal will act as a big lever at the base of the pedestal. This will make the torque forces pretty immense at the base trying to rip the seat out.

This could be offset somewhat by putting a large beam under the floor to turn the pedestal base from the primary load into the fulcrum. In such an approach, I'd expect the joint between pedestal and underfloor structure to be welded.

Of course this is wild speculation, but I can see there will have been lots of very tough engineering issues around these seats.

I agree it is unlikely to be easy. I'd probably be satisfied with removing the seat from the pedestal. Maybe that will be possible. Perhaps make a table to attach to the remaining pedestals.

What I want the option for is to cover the whole middle area for sleeping.

Not sure how to incorporate the pedestal into the hot tub configuration... Maybe some kind of fountain?