Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 5mp camera upgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been curious about this as well. My guess is that Tesla is using the same connectors as well to save cost etc... I really hope that we're able to swap the hardware over and it be plug in play. That would be great.

Is it possible to upgrade from the old 1.2mp cameras to the new ones? the 5mp ones
In a word NO I asked Service Center guys. 2018 or earlier cars. And I had a mobile guy here last week. He said the car was made to be easily upgradeable. ALL the cameras can be changed out even the windshield but it still has to be done in house. If you want the new cameras you have to buy a new car when they build them (who knows when that will be)

You need more CPU power to handle the higher resolution camera videos. The existing hardware may not be able to cope with the 5 MP camera videos.
This.

It's hugely taxing to run inference on higher resolutions multiplied by all the cameras. It's all about the fps in this case.

That being said if they want to not carry old parts (old cameras) and the fit and harness is the same, and you replaced the cameras with the new ones they would likely make provisions to just serve lower resolutions to the computer so you wouldn't see any benefit anyway.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
The question is whether or not Tesla started using the new HW4 autopilot chips when they switched to the higher-res cameras. They likely need the faster AI chips to handle more pixels. If they are still using the old HW3 chips, then the new cameras are not really providing much, if any, value. Of course Tesla won't confirm any changes until all their vehicles are shipping with the new hardware.

This.

It's hugely taxing to run inference on higher resolutions multiplied by all the cameras. It's all about the fps in this case.

That being said if they want to not carry old parts (old cameras) and the fit and harness is the same, and you replaced the cameras with the new ones they would likely make provisions to just serve lower resolutions to the computer so you wouldn't see any benefit anyway.
I thought EM said when they tossed NVIDIA for their in house card it could do 34 teraflops. If you're talking about eh touchscreen there's an ancient old Intel Atom chip in it. (2008 release)

As I said earlier, a mobile guy came to my house on another matter and he said the cameras were very easy to change
I was being a bit sarcastic. However, 5 megapixel cameras do not exist yet on Tesla cars so every speculation is fair game. 😁
In the event the 5Mp cameras are made available to current cars with older cameras, I think the new cameras will have Wi-Fi so trained squirrels 🐿️ can hold them in return for food. Failure to comply will result in them holding camera hostage in trees 🌳 until payment is received.

This.

This explanation is reasonable and highly probable in my non sarcastic view.

Yet your answer contradicts your previous answer when you said No. And as we have no confirmation of new cameras or CPU the last one I would take advise from is a mobile service person.
No contradictions. He said it would be easy to change. But NO, they are not available nor do I think Tesla will upgrade them for free. The service center they are for cards built 2018 and prior BUT the cameras on those years are inferior to current ones
SO to summarize
1 - NO you can't get them
2 - They are easy to upgrade
3 - Cars 2018 or older are on the list but not necessarily 5mp.

So unless and until the the TechnoKing / Chief Twit says they are on the car they probably aren't

No contradictions. He said it would be easy to change. But NO, they are not available nor do I think Tesla will upgrade them for free. The service center they are for cards built 2018 and prior BUT the cameras on those years are inferior to current ones
SO to summarize
1 - NO you can't get them
2 - They are easy to upgrade
3 - Cars 2018 or older are on the list but not necessarily 5mp.

So unless and until the the TechnoKing / Chief Twit says they are on the car they probably aren't
Yet he didn’t ask about Free. He has a Model Y which is a 22, and likely didn’t care what you think of Musk. Yet you answered….