Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 5mp camera upgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but my car has the mcu3, the same CPU that the 2023 models have, which also have 5mp cameras..
We are all getting terms mixed up lol

HW3 which is what nearly all of us have (except early owners) is driving autopilot. It's the AI chip for full self driving.

The media control unit (MCU) is either atom or Ryzen

My understanding was that the new 5mp cameras were coming with hw4 which is what the Cybertruck will have. Although I havent researched this before replying.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
We are all getting terms mixed up lol

HW3 which is what nearly all of us have (except early owners) is driving autopilot. It's the AI chip for full self driving.

The media control unit (MCU) is either atom or Ryzen

My understanding was that the new 5mp cameras were coming with hw4 which is what the Cybertruck will have. Although I havent researched this before replying.
ohh so there are 2 different CPUs on the car, 1 for Autopilot and 1 for Touchscreen (MCU)

My understanding: The cameras feed the Autopilot computer (HW3), which contains custom Tesla AI chips for processing. It is currently unknown if Tesla has started using the next gen AI chips that were supposed to start production this year. The older (2018-2022 and maybe 2023) Tesla AI chips are pretty much maxed out by the previous ten 1MP cameras according to some in the hacker community (@greentheonly on the Twitter). Based on some pictures of newer 2023 Model 3s, it appears many of the cameras are different models than the 2022s and are most likely the new 5MP Samsung version reported in numerous media outlets. If this is the case, then there is a good chance the newer AI chips are also in these 2023 vehicles. More processing is needed to handle more pixels. Nobody knows for sure yet though. The MCU is the infotainment system in the vehicle. It's currently based on the AMD Ryzen processor and is much faster than the older Intel Atom. The MCU has nothing to do with Autopilot camera feed processing.

It is unclear what exactly constitutes HW4. For all we know, it will include the new high-res radar Tesla is looking at. Tesla almost never lets anybody know about these types of HW changes until the entire fleet has been upgraded. They will start using new hardware in some models initially without anybody knowing.

My understanding: The cameras feed the Autopilot computer (HW3), which contains custom Tesla AI chips for processing. It is currently unknown if Tesla has started using the next gen AI chips that were supposed to start production this year. The older (2018-2022 and maybe 2023) Tesla AI chips are pretty much maxed out by the previous ten 1MP cameras according to some in the hacker community (@greentheonly on the Twitter). Based on some pictures of newer 2023 Model 3s, it appears many of the cameras are different models than the 2022s and are most likely the new 5MP Samsung version reported in numerous media outlets. If this is the case, then there is a good chance the newer AI chips are also in these 2023 vehicles. More processing is needed to handle more pixels. Nobody knows for sure yet though. The MCU is the infotainment system in the vehicle. It's currently based on the AMD Ryzen processor and is much faster than the older Intel Atom. The MCU has nothing to do with Autopilot camera feed processing.

It is unclear what exactly constitutes HW4. For all we know, it will include the new high-res radar Tesla is looking at. Tesla almost never lets anybody know about these types of HW changes until the entire fleet has been upgraded. They will start using new hardware in some models initially without anybody knowing.
All signs point to yes RN it’s swappable

Old camera
030A1A7A-5544-4AD8-9259-385DBF58A1F0.jpeg

New camera
E43D6872-00DA-43F5-A008-AA1315A7B311.jpeg

EPC (no other versions of side cameras listed) they do have a new chrome shroud listed which makes me think that if older cars needed new camera they would stick on the chrome shroud.
66E3DC36-278C-4ACC-922B-6152A70A7A6C.jpeg

Buying from service center (note this is for revision D camera) I have light bleed bc mine is 2018 and I was curious on the cost. Now they have 5mp so of course I want that.

4CDC55BC-5B4D-4AD2-A9AD-17238BD395D8.jpeg

*if anyone wants me to test mule this and try 1 camera I can. Possible (with moderator approval) TMC gofundme?*

Last edited:
Reactions: ebradway

Old camera
View attachment 878417
New camera
View attachment 878418

EPC (no other versions of side cameras listed) they do have a new chrome shroud listed which makes me think that if older cars needed new camera they would stick on the chrome shroud.
View attachment 878420

Buying from service center (note this is for revision D camera) I have light bleed bc mine is 2018 and I was curious on the cost. Now they have 5mp so of course I want that.

View attachment 878421

*if anyone wants me to test mule this and try 1 camera I can. Possible (with moderator approval) TMC gofundme?*

I'd love to know how this goes

Old camera
View attachment 878417
New camera
View attachment 878418

View attachment 878420

View attachment 878421

Are we 100% sure those are the new (5mp) camera part numbers?

people these are not the new cameras from samsung, those are not coming till next year, its been shown the "newer" ones here have no better visuals then the current ones, if these were the new Samsung 5mp for HW4 tesla would have told you about it lol
This is likely the correct answer. These look to be just a newer revision 1.2MP camera part, possibly Tesla changed suppliers. There is zero indication that these are 5MP units and it certainly seems questionable that the Gen 3 AP hardware is equipped to handle a multitude of 5MP cameras.

This is likely the correct answer. These look to be just a newer revision 1.2MP camera part, possibly Tesla changed suppliers. There is zero indication that these are 5MP units and it certainly seems questionable that the Gen 3 AP hardware is equipped to handle a multitude of 5MP cameras.
But someone on the internet said so, so it must be a fact! Lol

• Funny
Reactions: reystar
If people are taking delivery of sensor less cars…it is assumed that these cars carry the 5mp cameras.

I am meeting up with someone and testing between my car and his new 2023 model Y on sentry mode resolution later this week. If the resolution on the same area / object is better I have to assume it is the new camera.

They have also updated the pillar camera as well. Look closely the the size of the lens (he mixed up the b pillar: left is with ultra and right is without)

The larger lens is on new cars right now.
4A0CEDBD-2A9D-4FED-A5E7-8ACF04920DF6.jpeg
24031274-BCD5-45F2-9767-936B3FA4C861.jpeg

Last edited:
Better visibility for sentry mode especially for license plates
If you want to read license plates and have a video recording in case of an accident, get a high resolution dashcam recorder.

- You will get a continous recording, while sentry only save recording if you press the horn or click the display icon.

- Also sentry only records sequentially one camera at the time, so you might not get the image at the impact.

Having a dashcam is a good complement to sentry, as sentry provides rear side views and a dashcam records the speed.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
If people are taking delivery of sensor less cars…it is assumed that these cars carry the 5mp cameras.

I am meeting up with someone and testing between my car and his new 2023 model Y on sentry mode resolution later this week. If the resolution on the same area / object is better I have to assume it is the new camera.

They have also updated the pillar camera as well. Look closely the the size of the lens (he mixed up the b pillar: left is with ultra and right is without)

The larger lens is on new cars right now.
View attachment 879063View attachment 879064
The problem with your theory is that we know that cars have been delivered without USS and also without the newer revision cameras.

Reactions: randmness
people these are not the new cameras from samsung, those are not coming till next year, its been shown the "newer" ones here have no better visuals then the current ones, if these were the new Samsung 5mp for HW4 tesla would have told you about it lol
It seems that anyone now with a new (?) Tesla can get the last FSD update when getting a new subcription.

While users with very high Safety Score and may be older (?) Tesla still don't get the latest FSD.

Unlikely. These are most likely the new cameras that are software limited to a lower resolution. I find it hard to believe Tesla is a deploying a new camera only to change again in a few months.