Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 5mp camera upgrade possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with your theory is that we know that cars have been delivered without USS and also without the newer revision cameras.

Then go find a 2023 model without USS and not the larger lens camera shown. Not sure if I have to prove anything to you tbh. There’s hardware proof out there. If you’re a naysayer then exit this thread lol.

We have a Nov. 2023 Austin-built Y that has the older-style cameras and no USS. They look identical to the ones on my 21 M3P.

Attachments

• 21_M3P.jpeg
    21_M3P.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 23_MYLR.jpeg
    23_MYLR.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja and Ts91
Then go find a 2023 model without USS and not the larger lens camera shown. Not sure if I have to prove anything to you tbh. There’s hardware proof out there. If you’re a naysayer then exit this thread lol.
There are numerous recent deliveries throughout the monthly delivery threads that had the older looking camera design but had no USS sensors. These cameras likely have nothing to do with Vision-only parking aids or else why would Tesla have shipped the old camera/no sensor cars??

We have a Nov. 2023 Austin-built Y that has the older-style cameras and no USS. They look identical to the ones on my 21 M3P.
Then you should pull out your camera and read the part number on it. Tesla is always changing part numbers on cars and there no definitive way of knowing unless looking at the part. This goes for center console upgrades, hv battery, heated steering wheel, powered trunk etc.

This thread isn’t about USS and 5mp cameras tied exclusively together with 2023 cars…it’s about can we upgrade to 5mp cameras? from what is rolling out on physical cars and from the EPC…there’s a new cameras labeled 1495864-20-E and 1495865-20-E

It is assumed that is the 5mp cameras. There are no other camera listed in the EPC for side repeaters meaning they have switch over.
52418CF9-EFA4-4C59-B6B0-FA2E5CBD2E0F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: randmness
Then you should pull out your camera and read the part number on it. Tesla is always changing part numbers on cars and there no definitive way of knowing unless looking at the part. This goes for center console upgrades, hv battery, heated steering wheel, powered trunk etc.
A different part number doesnt necessarily mean the camera itself is spec'd differently.

Our 2023 LR Y does not have the new lens style, but maybe we have secret 5MP cameras though 😂

from product dev perspective, if the camera image is only used for object detection and FSD, not sure why it needs a super high resolution camera. the driving camera constantly taking video footage and that is a lot of data to churn by the processor. however if folks prefer high resolution image for better video recording, that is a different story.

I guess it is good to find a good balance, generally higher resolution image processing will need higher computing power (faster CPU) which in turn drains more energy and reduce our driving miles.

It's also worth pointing out that many camera systems are capable of delivering multiple resolution video streams (even simultaneously) so even if Tesla put a 5MP part in the car, it wouldn't necessarily be used at that resolution until the Gen-4 AP computer arrives later next year.

Owners with the "new" cameras have reported no difference in visual quality compared to old cams on their other cars.

The Ryzen processor should have no issues
That's not the most critical processor dealing with the camera feeds. The AMD CPU only handles the infotainment system. There is another computer processing those 9 cameras' videos continuously for self-driving, autopilot and safety features. That's the one to be hammered if cameras all quadruple their video resolutions.

Reactions: CSGeekme
Was at the delivery center in Dallas today helping a friend pick up his Austin-built Model Y. There were all makes/models awaiting pickup.

Only the Model 3s had the new cameras. Everything else was the old style, even Model Ys produced 12/2022.

Tomorrow, I pick up my Model 3 Performance, and can confirm the camera type. But based on the fact every single new 3 I saw today had the new camera, mine probably will as well.