Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW 7 SEAT OPTION WITH PICS!!!

Is this better than old one

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see how this is more practical for carrying cargo, but isn't nearly as nice for carrying people. They should offer both this 7 seat config and the older monopost style at a premium.

I agree! I would definitely pay more for the configuration I have right now. It's SO convenient with the kids - and one of the reasons I also have towing, so I can always pull our dump trailer behind should we need to haul lots of things or just a small tow thing (have no idea what they're called, basically a grate with a barely elevated side) for other things such as taking the trash in or hauling extra golf clubs with a full car.

I have the monopost 7 seater and I love how each seat can be moved independently and if you notice the new middle seat headrest is slightly lower then the old one. I feel the new 7 seater is a little cheap in terms of functionality that it's all moved manually by pulling up a lever and will not be able to be moved from the touchscreen. I also don't like the carpet in the second row...just my opinion.

I wish there was a choice to have the old option. Whatever. Just another reason to hold on to my current model x much longer than I would have normally. This along with the unlimited supercharging not being followed to my next car unless I buy this year.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
The Portland Oregon / Washington Square mall showroom has a Model X 7 Seater on display.
I talked to the sales gal who drove it over on a late Friday (that was 1 week ago).
Saw the 7 seater in person, and I like it. I think the 7 seater is more practical in this configuration. Yes you lose motor control and the automatic nature of the pedestal seats. But you gain huge storage capability. Specifically, that one feature that I love of my 5 Seater.

Two key differences between the 5 seater and 7 seater (besides seats) is the under seat storage - (think under airplane seats), and the 7 seater requires top gaps where the 3rd row interfaces with the fold down section.
In the 5 seater because the bench doesn't slide front to back, you have permanent storage locations. Perfect for hiding pricy electronic gadgets. Always within reach, and never in the way.

Do see the new 7 seater for yourself. I think it's a worthy change to the line up.

I have mixed feeling about this. Folding flat is nice especially when you plan to camp in the car. Lack of leg room will be concerning.

If someone has a new 7 seats, can you fold down either the 40% or 60% 2nd row to give easy access to third row with room to stretch the legs for long trip when only need 5-6 seats? Wonder if that will be the way to go when people want both the cargo space and the ability to haul 6 people for long trip.

I did a test drive in normal 7 seater and then found the new configuration 7 seater in the lot and was able to play around in it. My thoughts:

Old 7 seater:
- Rear view is totally obscured. (fix: I'll just use the digital backup cam)
-Sitting in the third row, while spacious enough and comfortable, I feel like I am being imposed on by the tall seats, could trigger a claustrophobic person.
- Monopost seats look really neat
- All seats Move independently.
- Lots of floor space.
-Cant fit long objects in the car...
- Seat angles do not adjust (good for car boosters)
- Seats still slide and tilt forward if you want to maximize cargo area.
- Seats can be slow and only adjust electronically.

New 7 Seater:
- Rear view is usable due to the 2nd row middle seat being not as tall.
- Third row not claustrophobic anymore due to the middle headrest allowing better view of the cabin.
- There are a lot less electronic movements (for better or worse) the middle seat moves mechanically. Its quicker, but not as cool.
- 60/40 Split
- Floor space kindof disappears a bit with the fold flat 2nd row.
- Long objects would fit with everything folded flat.
- Feels more like a real 7 seater SUV. (for better or worse)
- Fit and finish on 2nd row feels more "normal" and well made, but not as "high end" and tech.
- Seems a bit harder to get into the 3rd row.

I ended up getting the old version 7 seater, (due to inventory discounts on the slightly older model), I really can't say which I would prefer more everything equal.

I think both are fine options, but get the new 7 seater version if you really need the fold flat because you might be sleeping in the car, transporting odd shaped objects, or if you REALLY need to be able to see with your own eyes out the back.

P.S. I actually really think the 6 seater is the best version; but we really did need 7 seats for carpool purposes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jouley
To me the only reason I am looking for a 7 seat is the rear AC. We test drove a 5 seater and the rear was hot the entire time, went out in a 7 seat car and the back was much better. I will most likely never put the back row of seats up but the rear a/c is worth the $3000 in my book.

Reactions: boaterva
Note that I found the driver side middle row slides much further forward for ease of access to the third row. The passenger side doesn't move much at all, unless you manually move the seat forward.

That being said, I would much prefer the new 7 seater than the old 7 seater. The ability to fold flat is great. I only have the 6 seater, which I don't like as much.

Note that I found the driver side middle row slides much further forward for ease of access to the third row. The passenger side doesn't move much at all, unless you manually move the seat forward.

That being said, I would much prefer the new 7 seater than the old 7 seater. The ability to fold flat is great. I only have the 6 seater, which I don't like as much.

Why do you not like the 6 seater as much?

Why do you not like the 6 seater as much?
I feel that the monopost has more that can go wrong with it than the manual seats. Plus 7 vs 6. So the 7 has more room for things since the middle folds flat. I had a ladder plus a bucket of tools, and a backpack and a camera bag in the 6. The ladder barely fits diagonally (folding W ladder) and almost rubs against the middle seats. The 7 would be easier to fold the seats down.