Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 70D vs Classic 85 Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped my car off for service and picked up a loaner. My car is a very late 2015 70D picked up in December. It got some rock chips on the hood and one on the windshield during transport, so the SC said they wanted to replace the whole front end. I just took it in to have the parts replaced and I've already driven 8,000 miles. So, I have a fair bit of experience with the 70D. I test drove several cars in mid to late 2014, but I never got any significant seat time prior to picking up my car. After two days of driving the loaner, which is a 22,XXX VIN 85, I have to say, I am struck by how different the cars are. I really debated whether to get a CPO P85 or a new 70D. In the end I went with the new car because of the awd option and the ability to add autopilot (which I have not done yet). They are both great cars. These are my thoughts on the differences:

• The interior quality is much better on the new cars. Everything just feels nicer and more upscale. The new stalks are an improvement too, I think (or maybe I am just used to them).
  • The new car handles better and has much improved steering feel. This is subjective, but the 85 front end feels a bit loose in comparison.
  • The upgraded sound system (in the loaner) seems to be a good improvement over the base system in my car (not generational, just an observation).
  • Even though the 70D is listed as a tiny bit quicker, the 85 feels a good bit faster to me. I can only imagine what the P85 would do!
  • Personally, I don't think the NG seats are any better than the original seats. I need a lumbar cushion either way because the lumbar is too high for me even at the lowest setting.
  • AWD makes the car feel much more stable, but hammering the throttle in the rear wheel drive car is really fun in a corner.

Overall, I miss my car and will be happy to get it back, but the classic 85 is quite a nice car as well. It's very fast and the rwd is entertaining.

The new stalks are an improvement too, I think (or maybe I am just used to them).

Just to show how you get used to things, every time I have a loaner with the new stalks I am constantly hitting the cruise control when I'm trying to turn on my turn signals! I know it was controversial at the time, but I really do like the placement of the "legacy" stalks.

Just to show how you get used to things, every time I have a loaner with the new stalks I am constantly hitting the cruise control when I'm trying to turn on my turn signals! I know it was controversial at the time, but I really do like the placement of the "legacy" stalks.

This got me curious - what is the difference between old and new stalk? I don't even know if I have the new one (Q3 2015 delivery)

This got me curious - what is the difference between old and new stalk? I don't even know if I have the new one (Q3 2015 delivery)

Cruise and Turn Signal stalks are in reverse positions and the gear selector has been re-designed (I do like the newer gear selector). Legacy cars had the turn signal stalk on the bottom and the Cruise stalk on top.

I also took an older 85 and noticed it had a bigger stalk that lit up with an orange color. My newer one has sleeker stalks that do not light up and slightly different in dash computer view of the car, radio, etc. I assumed it was also because the loaner had no AP.

Good impressions. We went the high spec CPO route, buying a low mileage 2013 P85 that was outfitted with every option except the rear jump seat and the winter package.

I had a loaner for 2 days last year, drove it about 400 miles so was able to get a good feel for it. It was a later 2014 85. It had 21" wheels, but no air suspension. It had the standard stereo, where our P85 has the upgraded. This car didn't have the tech package, ours does. The loaner had piano black interior accents and the yacht floor, ours has gloss obeche wood and a carpeted floor. Both cars have the standard leather seats. The loaner had the newer stalks, and the driver assistance package (AP ready, AP wasn't out yet).

For ride quality, I couldn't really tell the difference between our car with air suspension and the loaner with coils. Both cars rode fine, were quiet and handled nicely. I felt our P85 handled the mountain pass curves a bit sharper, but am willing to accept that this comes down to bias...
Driver aids: Our car doesn't have 'em. No parking sensors, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, AP, nothing. And that's just fine. I don't even use our dumb cruise control. I shut all those nannies off on the loaner. The lane departure warning (where it shakes the wheel when you get close to the lane lines) is especially annoying, and having the speed limit show up as a nag in the dash board just makes me feel even more guilty for speeding a few miles over the limit.
For performance, there was a noticeable difference between our P85 and the standard 85, although I suspect part of that may have been due to software limitations in the loaner.
For sound, the UHFS in our car was much better than the standard. It makes the car feel so lush with that rich sound filling the interior. The standard was nice, but the UHFS is enveloping. I'm not an audio snob, so these are the musings of an uneducated listener...
For fit and finish, despite the loaner being a much younger car (in both years and miles), our car felt tighter. I believe this has to do with the loaner nature of the car, and that it was different enough to be noticed.
The column stalks: I was constantly fiddling with the cruise stalk on the loaner. I'm fine with the stalks in our car because I'm used to them now, but I think the newer positions are much better. The original turn signal, wiper combo stalk is completely hidden from the driver's view. I'm fine with it now because I'm used to it. My wife doesn't like it because she forgets what function does what.
The Tech Package: Oh, so worth it. This was a feature I originally didn't care about and figured I'd enjoy if we got it. And I still don't care to much about the automatic rear hatch, but everything else is great. The biggest thing: if you don't have the tech package, you don't get turn-by-turn navigation. That means, you've got this huge, 17" screen showing you a google driven map, and it will show you where you are, and where your destination is, but IT WON'T TELL YOU HOW TO GET BETWEEN THOSE TWO POINTS! Normally, stuff like that annoys me to the point of NOT getting it just to spite the manufacturer, but because all of the other Tech Package features are really nice, the whole package is worth it, mostly for the navigation, but also for all the other details too.

I've driven a friend's 85D, and just recently had the opportunity to test drive a P90DL. I can definitely feel the AWD feel. I like the RWD better, but this is personal preference.

I have a 70D that I have had for nearly 6 months, and I still occasionally hit the wrong stalk. It may be partly because I drove Mercedes for many years, and all the cars had the earlier stalk arrangement (like the early Model S cars), with the cruise control stalk above the turn signal stalk. But that is likely an excuse. I think it is just inevitable that one will occasionally hit the wrong one.

Good information. I myself was not too long ago debating lower optioned new 70 or 70D vs higher optioned CPO 85 or P85. I opted for the latter (CPO P85). Auto-pilot seems to be the biggest consideration; lots of people love it. However, I am indifferent towards it (note: I have tried it several times on test drives), which helped the CPO come out on top for me.

I'm getting a grey car, but I don't know if it's dolphin grey or steel grey (delivery expected mid/late march). It's a 2014 car, and that's when the color changed. Which one it is might end up being a surprise.