Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 70D vs CPO P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there's any way of knowing today what the relative value of ANY car will be in five years. Tesla has changed everything. It's a whole new ballgame. Five years from now a brand new ICE luxory car will, IMHO, have far a depreciated value far lower than a five year old luxury ICE today. Will people be buying ICE BMW's and Mercedes' and Lexus' five years from now? Probably, but not nearly as many as are being sold now, and that's directly the result of the change which Tesla is bringing to the automobile industry.

At the same time, while our Model S's will still be great cars in five years, they won't come close to comparing with what's available five years from now. The 85D already has almost the same 0-60 performance of the P85, so I'm not sure the "amazing performance" of the P will necessarily equate to much of a difference in value in five years. I would caution against buying any high end car, ICE or Electric, with an expectation of significant resale value years down the road. I specifically excluded residual value from my TOC calculations when I made the decision to purchase my Model S, and it's still a bargain and assuages the feelings of guilt I had over spewing emissions into the air during my 190 mile daily commute.
I agree that it's very difficult to predict resale value of the Tesla.
I didn't figure it into my cost calculations at all since I generally keep my cars a long time (my other car is a 16 year old Land Rover which is still running strong... with lots of money applied to repairs but still cheaper than a new ICE every 4 years). I plan to keep the Tesla "forever" but don't expect it to cost much for repairs in the far out years... except for the battery (unknown).

P85 performance will still kill most ICE cars in 5 years.

tires wont last as long & launching out of a corner is hard in wet/bad traction w/ a P85

autopilot and that stuff wanted? (I personally would go out of my way to find a non AP car)
I haven't driven a newer suspension car hard enough to see any difference.

a few things that were changed are better some stuff was changed to be 'worse' (rear seat latches, seat heights - not sure how NG seat height is compared to '12 and very early '13 cars but the loaners I drove were too high for my liking)

I still plan on keeping my P for a ling time. Haven't driven an AWD to compare but I am learning to drift a bit
and still liking my car more and more + have tapped out all of my miles on many trips.

a 70D does seem pretty sweet. efficiency and awd
but the P85 already took the ~2 year depreciation.
I'd get the exact same thing I have if I was looking at CPOs, maybe a + but the I'd rather have 19" staggered and that makes it pretty close to a P+ w/ 21"s
suspension difference supposedly is just a small enhancement to the + ~ improvemt to handling was something like 50% wider rears, 20% stiffer bushings , 30% bigger sway bar.

Last edited:
haha. does it beep at you?
Yah. As you pass each cone, it chimes and the left panel of the instrument cluster shows the arcs. (This of course is because the grid lanes are relatively narrow so the cones are "close" by parking sensor standards.)

I didn't notice any parking sensor UI or sounds during autocross itself; but I wasn't really listening for that or watching the instrument cluster. (For example, I have no idea what speed range I was in during the sessions as the P85D gives no time to look. :) )