Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 75D for $90k VS 2016 90D for $74K which to go for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 75D for $90k VS 2016 90D for $74K which to go for? Besides the model, the specs are pretty much the same between the two. I may be wrong, but I think the tax credit is only for new, if yes, then it is really only a $8k difference.

Thank you

Tax credits are only for new.

The biggest difference will be AP1 vs AP2.5 - unless the 2016 is a very late build, it'll have the single camera and Mobileye chip that started the autopilot adventures, which has been better up until very recently, but will never develop much more than it can do now. The new car will allegedly eventually learn to drive itself completely.

Have a close look at the two interiors - Tesla has made quite a few minor changes over the last couple years, and you might prefer either version.

New 75D for $90k VS 2016 90D for $74K which to go for? Besides the model, the specs are pretty much the same between the two. I may be wrong, but I think the tax credit is only for new, if yes, then it is really only a $8k difference.

Thank you

New 75d as will have AP2 hardware and you will be a little more future proof, new MCU, new build quality also and little things like more intuitive FWD buttons, better seal designs, better door latches etc.

Have a 90D here and really don’t get many more usable miles than a new 75D. Don’t even care in typical city driving even, and they perform the same now also.

If you could do anything, the 100D is best if driving longer distances or especially if in s cold climate ... range is king.

Reactions: r0xx0r
Go for the newest version of Model X. If it possible & you need range, toss your money into for a 100D.

Like many people above said, the 2018 X has some advantages:
+ AP2.5 - Ability to have Full Self-Driving this August.
+ Fixed the FWDs paint scrub problem, no more noisy FWD.
+ Slightly faster MCU called MCU2.
+ Better interior finish, including graphite trim (the 2016, 2017 have chrome trim)

i have an early build 2016 P90D (same 90kwh battery) and my VIN is just under 6700. new X's are in the 100,000+ range...

my car has flaws in build quality straight up. panel gaps, improper alignment of doors, noisy creaky interior with rattles and squeaks, and worse sound proofing and noisier road noise through the doors, windows and floor than the newer cars.

i drove a 70,000 VIN a few months ago and the build quality is head and shoulders above the early VINs and the chairs must be redesigned as well because they are so much more comfortable than mine are. also suspension is better on both 20" and 22" wheels it's not jarring and uncomfortable and cabin noise? way quieter than my car in every way.

or you could wait a few more months for the redesigned X, that will have the Model 3 style air vents as we've seen earlier today, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Yoonoo
Tesla patent hints at possible Model S, X refresh with new HVAC system

Tesla Patent Suggest Model S, X Will Get Model 3-Like HVAC Setup

it looks as though #108 on the patent drawing might be the new screen/MCU? also note the new shape of the dash to accommodate the vents.

You think that's a new MCU ? as it looks kinda small.. I too was trying to figure out where the new MCU would go in that drawing as I can't imagine them making it smaller than the current one

You think that's a new MCU ? as it looks kinda small.. I too was trying to figure out where the new MCU would go in that drawing as I can't imagine them making it smaller than the current one
just a guess as i can imagine the screen would need to move out of the way of the vents.

to be honest a newer design that's not such a long reach would be really nice.

Thank you

This is a no-brainer to get a brand new 75D. $8K is nowhere near enough depreciation to compensate for a 2 year old car. There have been so many updates to the X over this time too, making it a significantly better proposition today.