TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New 75D or Inventory 90D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by NathanielHrnblwr, Jul 18, 2017.

1. NathanielHrnblwr

I didn't want to thread hijack someone else's thread but I have a similar question. I've priced a 75D @ 91,800 in the design studio. Some inventory 90D's are close to that making the delta trivial.

Besides the additional range, am I getting anything else with the 90D over a 75D new build?

Conversely, am I giving anything up besides it not being 100% new and having some miles on it? I've heard something about motors but unsure if it applies to this scenario.

The new 75D's don't have SAS but I am not overly concerned - likely prefer without due to potential issues down the road.

thx

2. jskenney

jskenney Happy Member

I've had 2 inventory cars, and they both were in great shape.

The 90D sales are amazing right now, for the same price you can get 30+ more miles and a few options for a nice discount. There are quite a few with low miles as well.

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

i dont see any reason not to get a 90D unless you dont see one in the configuration you want, it will have more range for similar price.

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

How not brand new is the Inv 90? I mean, its going to be less than a year old, right? Warranty just like it was brand new? More bang for the buck, right? Tesla will treat it as brand new/newly ordered. So why not do the Inv 90? I would.

5. jskenney

jskenney Happy Member

I would expect them to be march 2017 builds or newer.

6. NathanielHrnblwr

Yeah, these are the ones listed in EV-CPO. 2k miles or less depending. Irrelevant to me if it had a few thousand miles if the savings is ~$10-$20k, it's still 'new' and qualifies the rebate(s). I just didn't know if any internals were significantly different that would warrant moving to the 75D.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'd say it's a really good trade-off. The differences are really minor, and you get significantly more range. If the 90D has SAS, that's even better. I wouldn't get a car without SAS (IMHO).

8. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Member

Yep, got my S90D new about 6 weeks ago and love the car. Pretty well loaded with options, minus the dual chargers and rear facing seats. Had 26 miles on it. Just finished a 1400 mile road trip and needed the 300 mile range on one of the legs. If I could have swung the extra for the 100D range, I probably would have gone that route.

9. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Go with the 90D.

10. Krash

Krash Supporting Member

Only reason to get a 75D now is to get the newer drive unit. For bonus points wait a month and try to get an inventory 90D with a build date June 15th or later so you get the new drive unit anyway. I love air suspension but if you don't love it definitely don't get it. Typical air struts only last ten years.

11. NathanielHrnblwr

Thanks of the reply. Why would I want the newer drive unit in a 90d? Wouldn't the 'tried and true' unit be better vs. a new unit? I understand in the 75D it gives it better performance but haven't read anything like that for the 90D. Is there any confirmation that the 90D built after 6/15 got a different DU?

I never had air suspension so I can't say I love it. For me, I wouldn't know what I'm missing if I didn't get it. I have no inclines that would need heigh adjustment in the car. Other than that, why would I want SAS? Is it really better than a coil ride?

Current cars have stiff Billsteins so practically anything seems softer. :)

12. hmmm

hmmm Member

Right now I would go the 90D route as there is a fair number of heavily discounted ones out there. Check a recent thread in the "Tesla for Sale" aub-forum, at least a dozen of 90Ds sold with discounts >$15k over the last week. The car that started the whole thread was a 90D @ $75k...

Happy hunting!

13. VikH

VikH Member

What was the verdict on the supercharging/DC charging counter for 90 packs? That would be my only concern.