TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New 75D or Showroom (11/17) 100D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Damien Sandow, May 24, 2018.

?

Which would you buy?

1. New 75D

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Showroom (11/2017) 100D

35 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

The title really says it all. Which would you choose?

The details:
    New 75D would obviously come with everything I would choose, and when I price them out they come to around $89k - $90k.

Showroom 100D - 5k miles, old MCU, current one I am looking at doesn't include the PUP, but has leather seats, pearl white, and Autopilot - $91k.

The question is really, would you take a new 75D or take one with some miles and get the larger battery? This is certainly personal, but I am at a standstill. I plan on taking the car on a couple longer trips a year, so the added range would probably be nice, but running it through the abettertripplanner it didn't save a ton of time.

2. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Do you need the extra range?

3. pkodali

pkodali Banned

I would honestly go with the showroom 100D for that price

• Like x 1
  4. kev1n

kev1n Member

well i think the first question is, if the 100D is spec'd to your liking. if it is. id take the bigger battery over the new MCU. has better value.

remember to use a referral code!

5. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

Updated the original post that I do plan on taking the car on a couple longer trips a year

6. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

Is the update to the software on the old MCU bring it close to the performance of the new one?

7. arcus

arcus Active Member

I guess it boils down to which one is more important: longer range or PUP? I have base 75 (RWD) and range is not an issue 99% of the year. For that once a year road trip we make I wish I had a bit more - partially to be able to skip some of the SCs along the way, but also to charge a bit faster. At the same time, there's more and more SCs being installed everywhere, so range should not be an issue as much as it used to.

8. kev1n

kev1n Member

the new MCU is faster but that doesnt mean the older one is complete junk. it is good enough and gets the job done. youre not going to be using the touchscreen much while driving anyways. if its really a concern to you, id suggest stopping by a service center and playing with both.

• Like x 3
  9. arcus

arcus Active Member

Completely agree. For the functionality related to operating the vehicle there is no difference at all. It is not that the old MCU became obsolete overnight :)

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

If you plan on doing more road trips, the 100D is awesome. It's really not about the extra range (for me) as much as it's about the quicker charging curve. It literally saves me a good 30-40% of charging time on a road trip, and that's not even counting overnight charging.

• Like x 2
  11. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

#11 Astraviel, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    For me if I didn't care about range and only did mostly city driving I'd choose the new 75D. I wouldn't buy a car without the PUP, and I wouldn't buy a brand new car without the new MCU. Much more future-proofing with regards to that.

Additionally, can you imagine how many people have farted on the driver's seat of your showroom car? Can you? The answer is no.

• Like x 1
  12. Electricious

Electricious Member

#12 Electricious, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Personally for me not having the PUP would be a deal-breaker. Otherwise I'd totally go for the 100D.

I'm sure some would disagree but for me it is strange for a car in this price range to be bought without the PUP features and you may have a very hard time selling it later without the PUP package as well.

Why don't you ask them to find you an inventory 100D with PUP? I bet it will be around the same price.

• Like x 1
  13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Owned 3 Tesla’s P85+, P85D and now P100D ...I would go for battery size all the time ...

14. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

Was there anything much different with the ordering process in November when this car was manufactured or are the options pretty similar to what you get now?

15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Options are similar only major difference is new MCU which is overrated ..get the bigger battery you won’t regret ...I always found my 85 battery lacking and my new 100 is a nice sweet spot

16. Electricious

Electricious Member

I think air suspension became standard at some point...

• Like x 1
  17. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

[​IMG]
    What do we think? Did I do well?

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  18. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Hell yes. You're gonna love it! Of course I might be biased, but I was a 75D buyer who 8 months into it started seriously regretting battery choice….. Ended up driving me nuts and here I am with a 100D, but I don't think you'll regret this decision in the long run.

Between the bigger battery or a more responsive MCU, I'll still gladly pick the bigger battery.

• Like x 1
  19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Congrats !!! I had two MC Reds now have Pearl White with same interior...great choice !

• Like x 1
  20. mikevbf

mikevbf Active Member

Good Job finding a sweet deal! Enjoy your ride.

• Like x 1