TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New 75D vs CPO 85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Buster1, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Buster1

Buster1 Member

So I've been wracking my brain on this for some time.

If I design my new 75D, bare bones, except silver 21s, and Obsidian...it comes to $80k, or $72,500 after tax incentives.

If I search for similar 85Ds on EV CPO, I can find this car
    Model S 85D 5YJSA1H28FF092793 | Tesla
    which is nearly identical, but is a 2015 with 26,000+ miles.

It lists for $74,500

What am I missing? I know the CPO has smart suspension and premium lighting and sound. (Do the new cars have smart suspension anymore, I can't find it). Is that it? Lighting, sound, and suspension? For $2k more. Apparently, the new 75D is faster too, and it's range is pretty much the same as an 85D.

I know I asked a lot of questions, but why are the 85Ds so pricey? Why wouldn't I just get a new car?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Get a new one.

The only option I think you are short changing yourself on is the premium sound or whatever it's called.

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Well, that 85 also has pano, leather seats, AP etc. So if you spec out a new 75D as close as you can to the 85D, you are at $97,500 before incentives.

And the new 75D isn't faster, 85Ds all got a software speed "upgrade" at some point to like 4.2 seconds so the numbers on the CPO site are not accurate.

4. psgabin

psgabin Member

except you get all new hardware which is 5he most future proof.cameras computers etc. get a new build

5. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Pano, sure. But the new 75D has a glass roof. Okay, I get that pano opens.
    Leather seats. Does the new 75D not have that?
    AP? The CPO 85D has "AP 1 convenience features." Similar to the 75D with AP hardware?

Those are honest questions. With the battery sizes being so close, the CPO seems overpriced.

6. nagypite

nagypite Member

and referral code - 1000$ and free supercharging

7. whitex

whitex Active Member

New 75D (manufactured this quarter, so not today's inventory) is faster or the same 0-60, it has 72KWh usable while 85 has 77KWh so ~15 miles less range, AP2 hardware which has a chance to actually be better that AP1 (it's not there yet) as far as safety features and EAP goes, plus 75D has a faster charger (48A but could be 72A as rumors have it all new cars will some with 72A now) vs. CPO has 40A (upgradable to 80A for $2K).

It is up to you now to decide what the other options, such as 21" wheels or pano, are worth to you.

8. jankratochvil

jankratochvil Member

85D has faster supercharging than 75D as it has more cells charged in parallel.

9. pcdefl

pcdefl Member

If you need to access steep ramps you might need SAS smart air suspension, new only available now on the 100D as far as I can see; this might set you to the CPO (has SAS) instead of the 75D (SAS not possible)

10. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

However I think there is a good chance the new 75 is really a software limited new 90 pack based on the same modules used in the 100 KWH pack.

11. Az_Rael

Not by default. Multi pattern black seats are what it comes with, which are textile.

12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I would get the new 75.

13. Az_Rael

I don't think I would buy a CPO 85D for that much, however I have seen P85Ds for that much (I just bought one for 75,500). THAT might be worth going used for.

14. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Go new. New hardware, facelift, range probably isn't significantly different between a new 75D and a 2015 85D with 26K miles, both will have free supercharging, use a referral code and get an extra $1,000 off. All things point to new for me! Good luck. By the way, cool book!

15. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Ahhh, I see. Was wondering about that. Thanks.

16. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Or a Model 3 if you know someone who is willing to pick it up for you and they currently own a tesla. Might be able to pick it up in by December.

17. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Thanks...but no thanks. I need the added range and seating. So it's an S for me! ;)

18. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Depends On 85D Year. If older than late 2016. I say take new 75D more efficient and AP2 for future use.