Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a model s September 2016 75d owner trying to help out a friend and coworker decide on their first Tesla. They have the option to bulid a new 75d to spec or take an inventory 90d at a deep discount. Both vehicles are in the 90k range after all options are considered. Now that the new 75s have a performance bump, the line stars to blur. The 90d has the tan leather, and my experiences have been that the newest white and black seats are infinitely more plush and comfortable to be in, which would be an advantage in a vehicle that is so fun to drive. My suggestion is to build a 75d to he and his family’s liking, as the latest iteration of the model s is super comfortable to sit in and drive. His main hang up on this idea is the range of the 90d. I was hoping to generate a good discussion of pros and cons from experience on this forum so that I may point him here to read and make a decision not only based on my experience, but of other owners all over the world, and to welcome another member to our Tesla family!

I would think about the following:

- Make sure to account for the range loss in cold weather depending on where the car will live. It may be more needed than one thinks. When in doubts, alway gets the largest battery you can afford, all else being equal.
- Does the inv. car comes with life time SC vs the current SC plan tied to the owner? That would impact resale if he is not planning on keeping the car "for ever".
- Have him take a new 75d and an existing 90D for a spin. Is the comfort level that much better for *him*. For instance, I prefer the nextgen seats vs. the current seats, it's a very personal preference, each bottom is different.
- How much does he value getting "his" car, fully spec'ed to what he really wants vs. "getting more car for the money"?

Based on what you've shared, I would go with an inv 90D, but as always, YMMV.

I'd take the 90D, for the same price you get significantly more range at a trade off of it having a 1000 or so miles on it?

Most of the 90D inventory cars have the newest seats, so its probably the same. If not though, I'd suggest he sit in them and compare. Even still I'd prefer a slightly less comfortable seat and 30 miles of extra range.

Plus the resale on the 90D would be much better.

Personally, I do not think range is an issue, especially sense Tesla is covering the US with superchargers about 100 miles apart. To me the issue is inability to get air suspension. Also AP2 cars should not depreciate as fast as AP1. AP2's should be safer once the 8 cameras and 12 sensors are brought on line. Call the Tesla inventory people. They have more cars that don't show up on their site. Good luck. You will enjoy what ever decision you make. Welcome to the family.

We live in Southwestern Pennsylvania, so winter temperature is a concern, my experience has been a total of 30 miles lost to cold weather off of my range per day with an hour commute each way which leaves me around 200 real miles starting from a 90% charge (preconditioning done in the morning while on charge and preconditioning before leaving work included) starting from 228 and returning home with 110 (45 miles one way)

Last edited:
I think the range issue should be thought through on their driving needs. I have an 85 and have had only one issue that worked out fine in the end. But I live in Santa Cruz, CA. It is rarely hot or cold. I didn't see the age of the 90. That would make a difference for me.

I had to go through this same decision last week, I picked up an inventory 90D with a 10k discount over a new 75D, as with those discounts the delta between a new 75D and a 3 month old 90D is only about 6k, and that amount for 40 more miles seams worth it to me (just for additional range on long drives and assumed shorter supercharging stops on those trips). Granted I did like the idea of 4.x 0-60 times which have been made moot with the new upgrades.

I took the car on a 1200 mile drive on vacation last week (actually starting immediately after delivery), and had to hit less superchargers when compared to the same trip last year in my 70D, which was really nice. Does your friend plan on making any long treks?

How much benefit he sees from the added range of the 90D depends a lot on how many road trips/long driving days he has. I have a P90D with comparable range to the 75D and range has never been an issue. If he takes a lot of long trips the added range of the 90D may be a time saver.

I had to go through this same decision last week, I picked up an inventory 90D with a 10k discount over a new 75D, as with those discounts the delta between a new 75D and a 3 month old 90D is only about 6k, and that amount for 40 more miles seams worth it to me (just for additional range on long drives and assumed shorter supercharging stops on those trips). Granted I did like the idea of 4.x 0-60 times which have been made moot with the new upgrades.

I took the car on a 1200 mile drive on vacation last week (actually starting immediately after delivery), and had to hit less superchargers when compared to the same trip last year in my 70D, which was really nice. Does your friend plan on making any long treks?
there is a lot of travel for work that can span 200+ miles. Supercharger access is plentiful and my opinion on the 75d was purely based around the inside and comfort level of the new interiors. I had a chance to see a new s and x and the subtle changes are nice, especially on the x with new buttons and doors.

All options being the same, for about the same price, a low mileage 90D in good shape is a better deal than a brand new 75D. The advantages are; better range, power (not just 0-60, higher voltage can means more power at the same current levels, so lower losses and wear on the power system), faster supercharging, higher resale value, and last but not least sooner delivery! The disadvantages are only if there is some option in the new car (like the new seats) that are not on the inventory car, and potential wear on the car so I would prefer to see it first (is't not a P so less likely it was abused by joyriders). There is of course the potential disadvantage that friends or coworkers with 60/70/75's could feel slight jealousy ;)

When buying our 60D (now 75D) I tried to find a deeply discounted inventory 90, even with AP1, but unfortunately there was none that had all the options we wanted at a price similar to the 75D. Tried twice, once in October and then in November 2016, but since the 60's were going up in price, ordered a new one before the hike.

I am a model s September 2016 75d owner trying to help out a friend and coworker decide on their first Tesla. They have the option to bulid a new 75d to spec or take an inventory 90d at a deep discount. Both vehicles are in the 90k range after all options are considered. Now that the new 75s have a performance bump, the line stars to blur. The 90d has the tan leather, and my experiences have been that the newest white and black seats are infinitely more plush and comfortable to be in, which would be an advantage in a vehicle that is so fun to drive. My suggestion is to build a 75d to he and his family’s liking, as the latest iteration of the model s is super comfortable to sit in and drive. His main hang up on this idea is the range of the 90d. I was hoping to generate a good discussion of pros and cons from experience on this forum so that I may point him here to read and make a decision not only based on my experience, but of other owners all over the world, and to welcome another member to our Tesla family!
Should be a simple decision. If their family do a lot of road trip or long distance driving, go for 90D. If they mostly just do city driving locally, and not many long distance, go for 75D.

Other consideration is whether they got charging at home, if not 90D is better coz they can load up as much juice as possible in a supercharger.

Reactions: EinSV