TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 85 D problems charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MichFin, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MichFin

MichFin Member

I've had my 85D for a couple weeks now and on at least 3-4 days the car did not charge overnight. Also, sometimes when I plugin I sometimes get errors. lastly I've set the amps to 40 in the car controls but when I get back in the car I see it at 30 amps.

I have a dedicated 100 amp electric meter with it's own fuse box for 2 chargers one for my Volt and one for the Tesla. Is there anywhere I can get additional error message detail from the car or HPWC?

Thanks in advance.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Sounds like there's something flaky. If you are getting errors ("check charge cable") and/or you walk out to find the ring around your charge port is red, then you'll have to investigate a problem of interrupted service, especially if combined with the 25% reduction in charge current (the Tesla backs off when it detects a considerable voltage anomaly - that can be due to the electric service or a misbehaving appliance in the home).

It's too hard to tell with just your description - it could be the charger in the car, the HPWC cord and/or unit, or an electrical supply problem inside the house. Contact Tesla service; they can pull logs to tell you what happened and when.

3. MichFin

MichFin Member

I have the service guy coming out to service the mirror I will have him take a look at it.

4. FlasherZ

You might call them in advance so they can get the logs pulled to know where to look.

5. MichFin

MichFin Member

Thanks... I'll do that.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

95% of the time when I have problems charging (and that in and of itself is rare), I have the orange blinking lights and the screen tells me I didn't push the charging cable in all the way ("not fully inserted"). The 4.9% of the time is user error on properly activating the public charger before connecting it to the car. The last 0.1% of the time it has been an actual error of the device. For me, that 0.1% was a single occurrence at a 1a Supercharger, but 2a worked fine.

Hopefully you get everything worked out easily!

7. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

if you have a level 2 charger for the volt try charging the Tesla with it. .

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This got me thinking of a side-note as well. The Model S remembers the charging settings for a charger based on GPS location. Thus, if you charged using a HPWC at 80a and then plugged into a 30a J1772 for the Volt afterwards, the car would have automatically switched to 30a and remembered 30a the next time you plug in the HPWC.

9. FlasherZ

Not the case.

It's only the case if you manually changed the setting. If I plug the HPWC into my car (80A), then plug my UMC into the car (40A), then the HPWC again, it will go back to 80A. It's only when you set a custom value below the maximum that it will remember it.

10. MichFin

MichFin Member

It charged fine last night and I watched it on my phone showing 40 amps. I guess I must be inserting in wrong but I never thought I was that stupid :crying:

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Aha! The SC must have manually lowered me to 40a the last time my car was in for service then. I was on the way to work and got worried when the charging screen had 40a listed rather than 80a (grayed out since I wasn't parked though). Thank you!