Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85D owner - couple of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car last Friday (March 20th). Awesome drive btw, I love it.

Winter driving range is not too bad when you are very careful. Got 337Wh/mi at 14F outside temp (range mode, 64F inside temp, seat heater) driving at 60mph for around 15miles and city driving at 35mph for 7-8miles.

So, I do have a couple of questions.

1-Folding mirror : can they open and extend into something or there's a sensor? At one point my driver's side mirror did not extend in my garage (very tight) so I'm thinking it did not because the car knew there was something close OR it was a glitch.

2-Auto dimming mirrors - any way to disable them? Could not find the option anywhere

3-Front console owners : can you post a picture from the front of the car - I'm wondering how the cigarette plug and/or USB ports are accessible

4-Any way to navigate media folders (USB) on the steering wheel?

5-What's the proper way to drop the album artwork for USB albums? Cover in Metadata (ID3 tag) or custom filename in folder?

6-Suspension geo-fencing. I kind of assumed the car would geo-fence the area where I would leave my car at HIGH. From experience it seems it drops a point with a radius when you hit the suspension button. So lets say there is a small stretch of road I need to drive in "high". Do I need to hit the "high" button at the beginning and end of the stretch so when I come back the other way, it works ?

7-Power off option : is is a good idea to use the "power off" option when leaving the car for extended period of time? (e.g. airport). Does it force the deep-sleep right away?

That's pretty much it!

(attached file for range - watch out, it's in kilometers and Celsius, not miles and Fahrenheit)

rangemode.jpg

DIBS! I want to help him first!

1. By the window switch, between the L/R mirror adjustment, there is a button. They are not Geo tagged yet. Good feature request though.

2. No

3. Just buy it. You are a guy with no purse, you will not regret it.

4. No. Good request though.

5. Nothing you can do. It's a complete crapshoot on the accuracy of the album art. Sometimes you get a proper picture, sometimes you get the artists IMDB picture, etc.

6. Yes. Not entirely sure the range of the fence. Someone with air please answer.

7. Not necessary. It's only going to bleed off 5-6 miles per day. Something you might have to learn is that the car is already pretty smart. It's tough to do something that teslas hasn't already thought of. Not to say you shouldn't try though.

1. By the window switch, between the L/R mirror adjustment, there is a button. They are not Geo tagged yet. Good feature request though.

Yep, Auto-folding is off right now and I'm using the switch. I was just wondering if the mirror will extend IF there are going to hit something.

3. Just buy it. You are a guy with no purse, you will not regret it.
Yep, waiting for the correct color right now. I just need to connect 2 things to the 12V jack and I need a splitter... I just want to know if my splitter will fit.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yep, waiting for the correct color right now. I just need to connect 2 things to the 12V jack and I need a splitter... I just want to know if my splitter will fit.

This post may be of help (also note the extended a little further down in the thread)...
Request - someone with the Tesla Front Console, some questions

Word is also that the piano black still fits in the nicely with the interior design of the car, so you may want to consider getting it rather than waiting for the obece which has a pretty decent waiting list. This is especially true if you keep the storage bin open for the cup holder area, thereby hiding the trim area anywas.

Yep, Auto-folding is off right now and I'm using the switch. I was just wondering if the mirror will extend IF there are going to hit something.

The parking sensors enable the car to know how close it is to the wall. So in my opinion the answer to your question is yes it will not extend the mirror(s) if they will come into contact with nearby obstacles(s).

When you get close to something and if you have the parking sensors, you should see curved lines in the left-hand display that indicate there is an obstacle nearby.

I recommend you check with your service center, just to be on the safe side.

7 - Power Off option: This is essentially the same as getting out and closing the door. It will not force "sleep" any sooner.
If you're leaving it for an extended period, turn off "Always Connected" as well as turning on Energy Savings. Then don't check up on it too often, let it sleep.

I have the console and the only problem is closing the area above the 12V plug and usb. I use a 12V car charger for my dumb phone and it the blocks the lid from closing. I an going to see if I can find a usb charging cable that will work with my phone. It I can it will then be able to close.

I have the console and the only problem is closing the area above the 12V plug and usb. I use a 12V car charger for my dumb phone and it the blocks the lid from closing. I an going to see if I can find a usb charging cable that will work with my phone. It I can it will then be able to close.

Would something like this help?

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger for iPhone/iPad/iPod Lightning/Micro - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

1-Folding mirror : can they open and extend into something or there's a sensor? At one point my driver's side mirror did not extend in my garage (very tight) so I'm thinking it did not because the car knew there was something close OR it was a glitch.

The mirrors extend automatically if auto-folding is turned on when you open a door. That's true if you folded them manually or not. If auto-folding is off then they won't extend regardless of how they were folded (automatically via a previous setting or via the button on the drivers side door). I don't think it uses any of the Autopilot sensors to decide to do this or not.

2-Auto dimming mirrors - any way to disable them? Could not find the option anywhere

No.

4-Any way to navigate media folders (USB) on the steering wheel?

No.

5-What's the proper way to drop the album artwork for USB albums? Cover in Metadata (ID3 tag) or custom filename in folder?

It retrieves art from the Internet. Doesn't pay any attention to art on the USB.

6-Suspension geo-fencing. I kind of assumed the car would geo-fence the area where I would leave my car at HIGH. From experience it seems it drops a point with a radius when you hit the suspension button. So lets say there is a small stretch of road I need to drive in "high". Do I need to hit the "high" button at the beginning and end of the stretch so when I come back the other way, it works ?

It geofences around an area where it'll drop will depend on accuracy of where the car thinks it is which is going to vary from day to day. So I don't think there is a clear answer to this. It shows you when it drops automatically and it's always been good enough for me to drop the car where I saw the need and let it figure out where to auto drop.

7-Power off option : is is a good idea to use the "power off" option when leaving the car for extended period of time? (e.g. airport). Does it force the deep-sleep right away?

I don't think you need to do this. If you have sleep turned on the car goes to sleep pretty quickly. I've had it go to sleep after trips into restaurants.

3. Front Console: sorry, I don't know how to get a picture up here. I did measure for you. The compartment in front of the 12 v and 2 USB ports goes from 6 inches in front of the ports at the base to 8 inches at the top of the compartment. The front, that sits at an at an angle (hence 6 inches at the base and 8 at the top, swings up and over to be a cover if you want to close it. Hope that helps.