Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85D owner, long distance travel question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't found it hard to hit rated range on level ground in moderate temperatures at 65MPH or so. The trouble is that it's hard to go that slow! Even so, a lot of the range pessimism is just leaving a margin for the unforeseen. You don't want to hit a 20 mile detour and suddenly be screwed because of it.

I agree with the several previous posts about plugging the car into a 110v outlet. Its really not a big deal, a lot of people have block heaters on cars so seeing an extension cord going to a car isn't such a crazy proposition. Additionally, the car will be fully charged in a day or so if left alone or driven minimally. Bring a decent extension cord and you should be able to find an outlet somewhere. Ask around, I have yet to find a place that had any hesitation letting me plug in to a 110v.

As uncomfortable as it may be to "impose" on people to plug in your car, I generally try to talk with people before just plugging in. I do this so other people see how easy an EV is (particularly a Tesla) to charge to help educate them a little bit on EVs. If you sense someone is hesitant, offer to pay them $10 (explaining that $10 more than covers the cost of the electricity).