TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 85D owner...question on web browser

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by grantgro, Jul 8, 2015.

1. grantgro

grantgro Member

Overall love my 85D...absolutely the best car I've ever owned. My one complaint is the speed of the web browser. I do have LTE enabled but there is significant lag when scrolling through websites even on wifi. Will this be improved in software updates?

2. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

My S 85 is the same. Fast car, slow browser. A few days ago the browser displayed a message saying I was using an old version of Safari and provided a link to upgrade. Being paranoid I declined and will wait for Tesla to send an upgrade.

Nice to see you have LTE. I'm on 3G. I've heard rumors some new vehicles have 4G.

If that's true I hope an upgrade is available for older cars (mine is 9 weeks "old"). :)

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Don't worry... It wouldn't let you upgrade that way even if you tried. :wink:

4. tezzla

tezzla Member

I use a WiFi hotspot that gets 25Mbps and it's still slow. So it's not the 3G/LTE that is slow, it's the (hardware) processor Tesla uses.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

People who know way more about these things than I do say it's the browser itself that is slow. Two years ago Elon mentioned possibly changing the car browser to Google Chrome, and also allowing third party apps, but we haven't heard anything since then. Their software priority seems to be autopilot now rather than the web functions.

6. W0QR

W0QR Member

I have this complaint too. I hope it's the browser and not something more endemic. Not a whole lotta apps available so wish that would get opened up.

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It's a combination of an underpowered (by 2015 standards), really long-in-the-tooth processor underneath (an nvidia Tegra 2 from circa 2011) and a very ordinary browser implementation.

While the browser implementation can be redeemed a bit with future software updates, the hardware update/retrofit will be a bigger deal, of course.

The browser is the only truly embarrassing part about the car. When I demo the car, I always state a disclaimer first about the poor browser. I'd rather hide the Web icon if the UI lets me.

8. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

I too would find a clunky browser infuriating, but on the other hand what other car web browser are you comparing too?

I'm sure it's not a high priority for Tesla because there isn't much in the way of competition out there.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

More likely it's because autopilot and navigation are higher priorities.

10. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Basically, no one uses the web browser. It's more of a showpiece. :)

- K

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

No one uses it? I sure do. Yes, it's slow but it's still very usable.

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, I use the browser frequently to access my Supercharger Trip Logger app: SuperCharger Trip Logger

The browser has one very annoying bug related to scrolling and page updates that affects my app, but other than that, the browser is pretty usable for basic stuff.

My Supercharger app allows you to track all the metrics between SC stops on a road trip and generated tables like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=81988&d=1432567738.jpg

13. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

I wouldn't mind if Tesla added the ability to
    - Allow us to add the car to our phone's plan (not tied to a carrier)
    - Allowed us to use the car as a hotspot, with a decent browser (when stopped)