Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85D owner...question on web browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall love my 85D...absolutely the best car I've ever owned. My one complaint is the speed of the web browser. I do have LTE enabled but there is significant lag when scrolling through websites even on wifi. Will this be improved in software updates?

Overall love my 85D...absolutely the best car I've ever owned. My one complaint is the speed of the web browser. I do have LTE enabled but there is significant lag when scrolling through websites even on wifi. Will this be improved in software updates?

My S 85 is the same. Fast car, slow browser. A few days ago the browser displayed a message saying I was using an old version of Safari and provided a link to upgrade. Being paranoid I declined and will wait for Tesla to send an upgrade.

Nice to see you have LTE. I'm on 3G. I've heard rumors some new vehicles have 4G.

If that's true I hope an upgrade is available for older cars (mine is 9 weeks "old"). :)

People who know way more about these things than I do say it's the browser itself that is slow. Two years ago Elon mentioned possibly changing the car browser to Google Chrome, and also allowing third party apps, but we haven't heard anything since then. Their software priority seems to be autopilot now rather than the web functions.

It's a combination of an underpowered (by 2015 standards), really long-in-the-tooth processor underneath (an nvidia Tegra 2 from circa 2011) and a very ordinary browser implementation.

While the browser implementation can be redeemed a bit with future software updates, the hardware update/retrofit will be a bigger deal, of course.

The browser is the only truly embarrassing part about the car. When I demo the car, I always state a disclaimer first about the poor browser. I'd rather hide the Web icon if the UI lets me.

Yeah, I use the browser frequently to access my Supercharger Trip Logger app: SuperCharger Trip Logger

The browser has one very annoying bug related to scrolling and page updates that affects my app, but other than that, the browser is pretty usable for basic stuff.

My Supercharger app allows you to track all the metrics between SC stops on a road trip and generated tables like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=81988&d=1432567738.jpg