Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beyond grateful for the battery
B5B439A6-DCE7-4747-B358-A08871BFA7A9.jpeg

Since you have a Ludicrous car this is encouraging!

How does your regen performance feel at assorted temperatures? That is another aspect of lithium plating that will need to be long term managed from day one to maintain long term health.

The regen has not been limited at all except near full as expected but it hasn't been below 50 F since I received the new battery. I agree the charge peak is not a metric we should care much about. The taper is far more important as the area under the curve is what impacts overall charge time the most. My concern is that after only 5-6 minutes on a hot day it goes down to 70 kw and stays there until the normal taper, indicating some thermal issue but I am not sure of it is the car of supercharger cable. Overall it is significantly improved over my 85 charge curve which is the orange line on the graph I shared but I think if you draw a straight line across the peaks of the gray line, that is how it should charge if all is well.

As for the construction of the battery, I believe it is a reman 100 pack with two modules removed. My old battery had 72 kWH usable when it needed to be replaced (faulty pack seal that allowed water in) and the new one has 82 kWH usable. Doing a little math with the 101 kWH pack, 4 kWH reserve and a little wear on the pack and the 82 kWH seems reasonable with 14 of 16 modules. My rated range went from 231 to 260 switching packs.

Max discharge doesn't seem to add up for a P85DL. I see you're only at 75%, but I'd be curious to see what you're max output is. It needs to be able to achieve over the normal ~1500A, am I missing something?

There was another post on this and the math makes sense. So @ 400V and 1500 amps, which is what we know the 85 pack could do, we have 600 kW out of the pack max. I get that there is voltage sag under load and we are never really at the full 400V but working with theoretical maxes comparatively still highlights the new battery has the power. The new P100D cars can get 1735 amps max out of their packs and since max current is based on number of cells in parallel and max C rate then we can assume the same would apply to the new 350V pack. So @ 350V and 1735 amps we can get 607 KW theoretically. So the battery should be up to the task and after driving both I think I gained a little. Still need to get to the drag strip to test. The new battery also does not fall off so quick like the original 85. Holds full power acceleration much longer and doesn't feel sluggish at low SOC like my original 85 did. Feels like a P90D in my opinion. Still no P100D though :) Some day

There was another post on this and the math makes sense. So @ 400V and 1500 amps, which is what we know the 85 pack could do, we have 600 kW out of the pack max. I get that there is voltage sag under load and we are never really at the full 400V but working with theoretical maxes comparatively still highlights the new battery has the power. The new P100D cars can get 1735 amps max out of their packs and since max current is based on number of cells in parallel and max C rate then we can assume the same would apply to the new 350V pack. So @ 350V and 1735 amps we can get 607 KW theoretically.

I agree with you and the math if that is what the car/cabling/contactor, etc can all handle. However, I was looking at the screenshot he posted above and max discharge and amps show differently.

I agree with you and the math if that is what the car/cabling/contactor, etc can all handle. However, I was looking at the screenshot he posted above and max discharge and amps show differently.

That data is not from my car, which is a P85DL. Looking at the signature of who shared that, they have a normal S85 I think. So the lower max power numbers would make sense. The part number, voltage tag and other battery capacity info is right in line with my battery though. I just don't have the special cable to read my CAN information.

Reactions: gaswalla
I did a few more supercharge visits over the weekend and still have a reduction, seemingly from thermal issues, after 4 minutes of 112 kw charging. When it is 90F out it goes down to 70kw and when it is 60-70F only down to 90kw, then when it hit normal taper charges as expected. I have never seen a charge curve with 2 flat spots unless there was an issue. Was wondering if any of the other people that have this pack have logged any supercharger data, like RM/SOC versus charge rate? I have a service appointment Thursday and would appreciate any data to help my case as of course Tesla is currently saying " no error so everything is fine". Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Hi @Roadrat11s, I have multiple Teslas and have had this issue as you describe. I did a lot of reading, and on my recent trip through AZ, I utilized the 'wet towel on the supercharger handle' method with huge success (maintain high kw charging rates). Basically, V1 and V2 chargers reduce the charge rate to keep the handle from getting too hot. Putting a wet towel (add an ice pack if you really want to see a difference) keeps the handle cool and keeps the charge rate elevated.

View attachment 501277 Done charging! Confirmed 289 miles rated as the Tesla app suggested previously!

Ok, that makes my day better. My 2013 S85 just had pack failure today out of the blue no warning. The max charge for it recently was at 247mi rated range which I figured was pretty good for 90k miles on the odo and a 7yr old battery. Was told it would likely be 2 weeks before it is up and running again.
20200914_114506.jpg

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hi @Roadrat11s, I have multiple Teslas and have had this issue as you describe. I did a lot of reading, and on my recent trip through AZ, I utilized the 'wet towel on the supercharger handle' method with huge success (maintain high kw charging rates). Basically, V1 and V2 chargers reduce the charge rate to keep the handle from getting too hot. Putting a wet towel (add an ice pack if you really want to see a difference) keeps the handle cool and keeps the charge rate elevated.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had read about this being a possible concern so I drove an hour to a V3 charger and still have the sag after a few minutes. If I unplug for 5 minutes it will charge at full speed again for a few minutes. I know the issue you are talking about is common for M3 and 100 pack S/X because they can maintain such high charge rates over long durations but even a V2 supercharger without the active cooling in the cable should be able to hold 120 kw for what should be 10 minutes before my car should start tapering. Seems like a thermal issue with my car but both louvers open, so I am not sure if the cooling system has other issues or looses cooling capacity over time? I was just hoping to have data from someone else with the same battery for my service appointment Thursday showing that if the car can provide proper cooling it shouldn't slow down like mine.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I did a few more supercharge visits over the weekend and still have a reduction, seemingly from thermal issues, after 4 minutes of 112 kw charging. When it is 90F out it goes down to 70kw and when it is 60-70F only down to 90kw, then when it hit normal taper charges as expected. I have never seen a charge curve with 2 flat spots unless there was an issue. Was wondering if any of the other people that have this pack have logged any supercharger data, like RM/SOC versus charge rate? I have a service appointment Thursday and would appreciate any data to help my case as of course Tesla is currently saying " no error so everything is fine". Thanks in advance.
You sure the handle isn't overheating? You can try the wet towel on the Supercharger handle trick to help rule that out. https://twitter.com/Out_of_Spec/status/1282464387819876352

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
You sure the handle isn't overheating? You can try the wet towel on the Supercharger handle trick to help rule that out. https://twitter.com/Out_of_Spec/status/1282464387819876352

To remove that as a possibility I went to a V3 supercharger. One of the main differences is that the cable/handle is liquid cooled in order to support the higher 250kw charge rates. So my packs max power at ~120kw barely warms the handle. I am aware that v2 chargers are susceptible to cable/handle overheating. Even on the V3 supercharger I had the reduction after just a few minutes. That is why I was asking if anyone else with this battery could share their charge curve to compare.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and JRP3
Yes, the car (battery) has it's own temp monitor (BMS).. the handle getting hot is just a weak point in V1/2 superchargers.

What is the max rate folks have achieved on the new battery? I'm wondering if >120kw is possible on a V3

I wonder if tesla is going to start putting battery packs made up of the fat cells into refurbished / new tesla S/X packs "for real". I would guess that they're already using the S/X platform for internal mules due to the convenience of having the packs so self contained and easily swapped.

Would they physically fit into the pack or is it too shallow if you stayed within the existing footprint?