Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way will they be using the new cells for old vehicle replacement packs even if they could. I think they could fit them but they might need to redesign the entire pack housing.

As to if they would or wouldn't is just a question that should be answered with a spreadsheet.

As to if they could or couldn't that's a question that's addressed by your cad/cam/engineering team that's looking to integrate the new cells to the plaid and S/X cars after the current contract for 18650 cells expires.

It's *very* likely they already have some mule packs already, perhaps not in a "full" pack deployment architecture, but given how easy it is to swap packs on the S, they're the ideal platform for acceptance testing for any new cell chemistry.

If the Plaid generation packs have a different physical architecture, that'd have knock-on impacts to the rest of the S/X that would have other potentially undesirable costs against an already fully depreciated/amortized assembly line/product. If they make the pack somewhat backwards compatible, it radically simplifies legacy support for the older S/X cars. If they use a new battery sled, it probably unlocks some substantial advantages in the new iteration of the car, at some cost to retooling and losing easy legacy support. Again, get out the spreadsheets...

We don't know how long they plan on keeping the 2012 S cars on the road.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Probably not vertically. The new battery is 15 mm taller (80mm vs 65mm) and it requires top and bottom cooling. On their side, double layer, the pack will be about 86 mm high but the cooling will not increase the height of the pack.
I've heard the existing 18650 packs have about 1.5 inches, (38mm), of free space above the cells. I think the new cells may only be cooled on one end.

Just sharing in case this helps anyone: P85 was delivered on Christmas Eve 2013. At about 75,000 miles, after washing (and blow-drying) the car it would not start for about 30 minutes so I sent the incident to the Service Center and they asked me to bring it in. (Will probably not use the blower around the charge port in the future, just in case, although I told the service desk staff and they didn't say anything.)

They had it for about 12 days, just got it back today so I will try to determine if the replacement battery seems to change performance or range. As we go into the season where Tesla throttles back on charging/range, it might be hard to discern. They gave me a loaner for about 5 days and then asked me to swap it for an Enterprise rental. I didn't bother with a rental because my wife's car isn't used much.

Summary from the invoice:

Concern: Customer states - "At 3:30 on August 15 the car would not start. Received dash warnings: "Power reduced Vehicle systems shutting down/unable to start vehicle Service is required" Please advise" (dash picture attached)
Performed inspection on HV system. Found pyro fuse cover deteriorated allowing moisture into the pyro fuse tray. Removed & reinstalled HV battery pack to test pack. Removed & replaced pyro fuse & cover plate.
Correction: HV Battery Enclosure Leak Test and Troubleshooting
Correction: Pyrotechnic Battery Disconnect (Remove & Replace)
Correction: HV Battery Swap (Remove & Replace)

Part Quantity

ASY-HV BATTERY,85KWH,REMAN,SX(1597780-01-A) 1.0
(Shear plates were also replaced.)
Pay Type: HV Battery Limited Warranty $0.00

battery 9 2020.jpg

My concern is that after only 5-6 minutes on a hot day it goes down to 70 kw and stays there until the normal taper, indicating some thermal issue but I am not sure of it is the car of supercharger cable. Overall it is significantly improved over my 85 charge curve which is the orange line on the graph I shared but I think if you draw a straight line across the peaks of the gray line, that is how it should charge if all is well.
Are you sure this isn't the normal #chargegate speed? My P85 charges at 70kW unless it's almost empty, at which time it can crank at 120 kW for a few minutes. But it quickly ramps down. I thought this was the new normal.

Looks like you got the new 85 pack as some others :)
If you can report here how it performs (SuC speed, capacity). Thanks

Thought I would share my last 3 SuC visits. I still have an odd flat spot but overall performs pretty well. I can get 160 miles of rated range in 40 minutes. Not quite the 0-80 percent I was originally sold on but close enough to use the car for road trips again. On my P85DL (310 wh/mi rated) I have 261 rated miles or about 81 Kwh usable. Not bad in my opinion since my original 85 only had 232 miles or 72 kwh available when it died. Let me know if you guys think this looks like a normal charge curve; my service visit resulted in passing the thermal test so nothing is wrong in Tesla's eyes.

upload_2020-10-2_9-16-43.png

Thought I would share my last 3 SuC visits. I still have an odd flat spot but overall performs pretty well. I can get 160 miles of rated range in 40 minutes. Not quite the 0-80 percent I was originally sold on but close enough to use the car for road trips again. On my P85DL (310 wh/mi rated) I have 261 rated miles or about 81 Kwh usable. Not bad in my opinion since my original 85 only had 232 miles or 72 kwh available when it died. Let me know if you guys think this looks like a normal charge curve; my service visit resulted in passing the thermal test so nothing is wrong in Tesla's eyes.

View attachment 594555
It stays above 100kW up to 40%.
Hope it holds this for a long time for you. Great replacement imho

Ok, that makes my day better. My 2013 S85 just had pack failure today out of the blue no warning. The max charge for it recently was at 247mi rated range which I figured was pretty good for 90k miles on the odo and a 7yr old battery. Was told it would likely be 2 weeks before it is up and running again.
View attachment 588336

reman battery installed 254mi rated at 98% charge so better than the one it replaced by a few miles :)
Screenshot_20201002-211733_Drive.jpg

As another data point, my 2013 S85 (43K miles) is being replaced with a 1088815-01-B (ASY,HV BATT,S3,BB,REMAN,MDLS).

I hope my relatively low mileage car gets a battery with an appropriate capacity (my original battery indicated 212 miles at 90%).

They originally blamed my problem on the battery coolant heater, which I paid to replace. The same problem ("car may not restart--service required") came back, and after a 3.5 week wait for another service appointment, they decided it was the battery. At least I'm within the 8-year battery warranty, having bought the car 7 years and 8 months ago.

As another data point, my 2013 S85 (43K miles) is being replaced with a 1088815-01-B (ASY,HV BATT,S3,BB,REMAN,MDLS).

I hope my relatively low mileage car gets a battery with an appropriate capacity (my original battery indicated 212 miles at 90%).

They originally blamed my problem on the battery coolant heater, which I paid to replace. The same problem ("car may not restart--service required") came back, and after a 3.5 week wait for another service appointment, they decided it was the battery. At least I'm within the 8-year battery warranty, having bought the car 7 years and 8 months ago.
I sure hope you demanded a refund on your coolant heater, as it was obviously a misdiagnosis.

Send to NHTSA immediately. Here is the link to file a complaint: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Think I will wait on that, 1 bolt is not worth the effort haha yes I am lazy. SC Littleton said it's fine don't worry about it!

From watching Rich Rebuilds I know the battery wont fall out even if only 2 or 3 bolts are holding it in. I will still make them tighten it up on my next trip back to get my other car with a motor issue when it is done being fixed.

I did wedge myself partially under the car with a flashlight to check a few others and confirmed they had bolts and appeared fully seated so looks like just the one. Still disappointed as every time I go to the Littleton SC they give the car back with somthing not right, last time they mixed up one of my fobs with somone elses and had to replace the one that would not work with my car. Time before that they left an AC compressor and other parts in the trunk that I returned to them.