Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be leaking into the rear motor, which isn't uncommon. @ajbessinger has been posting the diagnosis and repair process when feasible. Though I'm not sure if it can leak enough to really be possible. I imagine that if coolant was leaking into the battery pack, things would go wrong quite quickly.

I've actually seen first hand what happens when coolant starts to leak in the battery, and yes, things do indeed go VERY wrong. Here's some pics, this is actually a pack from a Toyota Rav4 EV, which is built by Tesla, and uses pretty much the same design as Model S, but with different sized modules, and the same 2600mah cells that were used in the roadster. We think the actual cause of this leak was a botched repair to the coolant inlet tube on the left side of the back.

As you can see, two cells actually went BOOM, and when that happened it blew the top cover off like a pan of jiffy-pop, it even ripped out some of the bolts, and broke some of the brackets that clamp the top cover into place.

20200702_132621.jpg

20200702_132703.jpg

20200702_132632.jpg

So far in researching based on the teardowns of the original 85kwh and the new 100kwh packs and that the new 85 is a 100 with 2 modules removed and with the estimated cell avg of 11.36wh ea

1088815-01-A
85kWh pack consists of 16 modules of 444 cells for 7,104 total cells
real capacity of 80.7kwh -4kwh buffer =76.7kwh usable capacity

1597780-01-A
85kWh pack consists of 14 modules of 516 cells for 7,224 total cells
real capacity 82.06kwh -4kwh buffer =78.06kwh usable capacity

If cells ave 12.4wh ea based on the 100kwh pack teardown then 89.57kwh -4kwh for 85.57kwh capacity

wanted to add that I just completed a trip from CO to FL in a record 37hrs, before on the prev battery this trip took me 44hrs to complete, charges faster, and range on this pack is 265mi so brand new range again on it, very happy indeed!

Last edited:
I got the automated "parts ordered" email update this morning. 1088815-01-B reman pack, so no lottery win for me. I foresee extended charging sessions on my road trips. *sigh*
They've had it 3 weeks, and it'll be at least another week before I get it back.

Just got a repair invoice for my 2013 Model S 85 which has been having all sorts of electrical problems for months. - chargeport, onboard charger, TPMS, DC to DC converter, headlights all have had to be replaced under ESA as each of these things has failed, generally a few weeks apart. Seems now they've decided to replace the HV battery.

View attachment 643860
WOW that is crazy! What kind of electrical problems or symptoms were ya having?

Just got a repair invoice for my 2013 Model S 85 which has been having all sorts of electrical problems for months. - chargeport, onboard charger, TPMS, DC to DC converter, headlights all have had to be replaced under ESA as each of these things has failed, generally a few weeks apart. Seems now they've decided to replace the HV battery.

View attachment 643860
Looks like you are getting the new battery and not refurbished! Lucky! Keep us posted it that changes.

WOW that is crazy! What kind of electrical problems or symptoms were ya having?

It all started in August 2020 - the car couldn't charge. They replaced the chargeport, and while in service the MCU failed so that got replaced as well. Both covered by ESA (I paid deductible).

My car has dual on-board chargers and after the chargeport repair, I noticed that the car no longer could charge past 40 A. Back to service - they found an internal fault with one of the onboard chargers, had to order the part. While it was there they replaced the lower rear control arm assemblies which are a known problem for certain cars this age.

Finally the part showed up and got replaced under ESA (another deductible).

About a month later, I got in the car and it gave me piles of warnings - "Park Assist Unavailable", "Stability Control Disabled", "Regenerative Braking Disabled", "Steering Assist Reduced", "Safety restraint system fault", "Traction Control Disabled". The car then completely bricked - headlights on, can't use touchscreen, nothing responsive. It got towed to service with the headlights shining into the cab of the tow truck! This time,, according to the work invoice - "the TPMS sensor module shorted at the ground internally, and brought down the entire network, resulting in vehicle not drivable". So I got upgraded to the newer TPMS sensors for the cost of an ESA deductible.

Less than 2 weeks after getting the car back from that repair, once again it shut down when I got in it to drive. "Unable to Drive - Voltage Supply too low", "Electrical system power reduced - Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly", "Power Reduced - Vehicle systems shutting down". Towed again to service. After two days the diagnosis was that the DC to DC converter was shot and had to be replaced. Not only that but it had to be retrofitted to a gen 2 system (mine was gen 1). It took nearly a month to get the more than 40 parts required for this work. In the end I lost several inches of frunk space too since it needed to get rebuilt to fit the updated DC DC converter. Covered by ESA, paid another deductible.

Less than three weeks after getting the car back I was driving through a mountain canyon road at night and both headlights failed suddenly. I was able to turn on the hazards and that provided enough light to see the road and slow down and pull over. After flipping the lights to Off and back to On and Auto a few times they came back and I was able to finish the drive. Back to the service centre (at least it didn't need a tow this time). They replaced both headlights - of course again under ESA and another deductible.

3 weeks after the headlights, I was picking my son up from school and the car shut down at the side of the road - "Service is required", "Acceleration and top speed reduced", "regenerative braking disabled", "Unable to drive - voltage too low", "Vehicle may not restart - Service is required", "Electrical system power reduced - vehicle mat shut down unexpectedly". Then the large screen went black, and the car froze, unable to do anything. I called roadside and they sent a tow truck which took 2 hours to arrive. I was a 45 minute drive from home through mountains when this happened.

I had been complaining for months that I thought there was a problem with the battery - it had been refusing to charge at all at moderately low temps of 2-4 C. It could not precondition for supercharging at all. The only way I could get the battery to charge at a normal rate was to drive it hard to heat it up, then immediately charge. Regen was almost never working fully, even after an hour or more of driving. This had been going on for a couple months during all of this and they kept saying they didn't see any problems from the logs and that should be expected in low temps. I've had this car through 7 BC winters in mountain driving and it had never behaved like this. Anyhow...

This most recent time they diagnosed as "HV battery required replacement due to an internal fault". They gave me a new battery - this time covered under the original warranty, yay no deductible!

I just picked up the car a couple hours ago and it seems fine. It felt like a whole new car - acceleration and power draw were great - regen working properly, so fun to drive! The battery was charged to 86% and showed range of 408 km. My previous one was topping out at 405 km when charged to 100%, so I definitely got a bunch more range from this one.

Since mid December I think I've been driving loaners more than my own car. If I get through the next 3 weeks without another electrical meltdown of some sort I'll actually be surprised.

Fingers crossed this is the last of my problems. My 8 year battery warranty as well as my ESA expire on Oct 14, 2021 - not sure I want to keep this thing at all once it's out of warranty. Maybe having a new battery (plus all of those other new parts) will help resale value - it actually has more range as of now than the day I took it home nearly 8 years ago.

it actually has more range as of now than the day I took it home nearly 8 years ago.
Yes, because you got a brand new true 90 kWh battery, in the old your 85 was in fact a 81 with 77 useable, so you have really been upgraded - your 100% range now is about 475 km. You got really lucky, battery wise you have a new car on warranty. Enjoy!

All you problems and the paid deductibles sounds like they were related to the HV battery and maybe a faulty ground connection. Typical that they just throw parts at the problem, how much was your deductibles in total?

Do you have Scan My Tesla or some other ODB tools? It could be interesting to see if the battery is a true 90 kWh

@DGates a lot of that is similar to my issues; except I don't have the ESA (and it wouldn't matter since I have 175,000 miles and ESA would end at 100k), my warnings started in October, I was lucky enough they did not try to throw parts at it, a day after the warnings it was able to charge again so I drove it until they had a loaner available (the same time it totally died), and I got a refurbished (= used) battery.

It just seems they do everything they can to avoid swapping the battery. Your car could not charge; neither could mine - the next day it could. I wonder if you really needed a charge port and some of those other parts.

Remember when you could call the service center on the phone, they'd fix all kinds of things in a day, and they'd wash and vacuum your car? Oh the good old days.

It all started in August 2020 - the car couldn't charge. They replaced the chargeport, and while in service the MCU failed so that got replaced as well. Both covered by ESA (I paid deductible).

My car has dual on-board chargers and after the chargeport repair, I noticed that the car no longer could charge past 40 A. Back to service - they found an internal fault with one of the onboard chargers, had to order the part. While it was there they replaced the lower rear control arm assemblies which are a known problem for certain cars this age.

About a month later, I got in the car and it gave me piles of warnings - "Park Assist Unavailable", "Stability Control Disabled", "Regenerative Braking Disabled", "Steering Assist Reduced", "Safety restraint system fault", "Traction Control Disabled". The car then completely bricked - headlights on, can't use touchscreen, nothing responsive. It got towed to service with the headlights shining into the cab of the tow truck! This time,, according to the work invoice - "the TPMS sensor module shorted at the ground internally, and brought down the entire network, resulting in vehicle not drivable". So I got upgraded to the newer TPMS sensors for the cost of an ESA deductible.

Less than 2 weeks after getting the car back from that repair, once again it shut down when I got in it to drive. "Unable to Drive - Voltage Supply too low", "Electrical system power reduced - Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly", "Power Reduced - Vehicle systems shutting down". Towed again to service. After two days the diagnosis was that the DC to DC converter was shot and had to be replaced. Not only that but it had to be retrofitted to a gen 2 system (mine was gen 1). It took nearly a month to get the more than 40 parts required for this work. In the end I lost several inches of frunk space too since it needed to get rebuilt to fit the updated DC DC converter. Covered by ESA, paid another deductible.

Less than three weeks after getting the car back I was driving through a mountain canyon road at night and both headlights failed suddenly. I was able to turn on the hazards and that provided enough light to see the road and slow down and pull over. After flipping the lights to Off and back to On and Auto a few times they came back and I was able to finish the drive. Back to the service centre (at least it didn't need a tow this time). They replaced both headlights - of course again under ESA and another deductible.

3 weeks after the headlights, I was picking my son up from school and the car shut down at the side of the road - "Service is required", "Acceleration and top speed reduced", "regenerative braking disabled", "Unable to drive - voltage too low", "Vehicle may not restart - Service is required", "Electrical system power reduced - vehicle mat shut down unexpectedly". Then the large screen went black, and the car froze, unable to do anything. I called roadside and they sent a tow truck which took 2 hours to arrive. I was a 45 minute drive from home through mountains when this happened.

I had been complaining for months that I thought there was a problem with the battery - it had been refusing to charge at all at moderately low temps of 2-4 C. It could not precondition for supercharging at all. The only way I could get the battery to charge at a normal rate was to drive it hard to heat it up, then immediately charge. Regen was almost never working fully, even after an hour or more of driving. This had been going on for a couple months during all of this and they kept saying they didn't see any problems from the logs and that should be expected in low temps. I've had this car through 7 BC winters in mountain driving and it had never behaved like this. Anyhow...

This most recent time they diagnosed as "HV battery required replacement due to an internal fault". They gave me a new battery - this time covered under the original warranty, yay no deductible!

I just picked up the car a couple hours ago and it seems fine. It felt like a whole new car - acceleration and power draw were great - regen working properly, so fun to drive! The battery was charged to 86% and showed range of 408 km. My previous one was topping out at 405 km when charged to 100%, so I definitely got a bunch more range from this one.

Since mid December I think I've been driving loaners more than my own car. If I get through the next 3 weeks without another electrical meltdown of some sort I'll actually be surprised.

Fingers crossed this is the last of my problems. My 8 year battery warranty as well as my ESA expire on Oct 14, 2021 - not sure I want to keep this thing at all once it's out of warranty. Maybe having a new battery (plus all of those other new parts) will help resale value - it actually has more range as of now than the day I took it home nearly 8 years ago.
Wow you practically have s new car with all of those repairs and upgrades. Lucky you.

Edit: I haven't had your luck but I am considering selling my car last 8 years. Don't want a big paper holder sitting in my garage.

See my thread if you want to know what happened. I had a 85kWh B type pack before it died on the road during the last few weeks of warranty.. Here we are today with a new 90kWh software limited pack of 91.6%. Tesla is offering me $2900 to unlock the extra capacity, or Cotran Consulting is offering me $500 to unlock same capacity (using root access). The issue is I wont be able to upgrade to a MCU2 without losing the battery unlock. Supercharging is much faster and I feel awesome knowing I have a brand new pack. Old battery lasted 220,000km and was Alberta driven before I picked it up used in April 2019. A fresh new start with the 100kWh architecture and upgradable capacity. Motor was replaced August 2020, and previously before me it was replaced in 2018. Final warranty checkup on the 12th of April due to lost smoothness in the motor transition of power to regen, vice versa. Wish me luck 😬

Old 100% range was 395km, new 100% is 437km. 8.4% more ontop of that if I pay to unlock it.
20210331_214346.jpg

Last edited:
See my thread if you want to know what happened. I had a 85kWh B type pack before it died on the road during the last few weeks of warranty.. Here we are today with a new 90kWh software limited pack of 91.6%. Tesla is offering me $2900 to unlock the extra capacity, or Cotran Consulting is offering me $500 to unlock same capacity (using root access). The issue is I wont be able to upgrade to a MCU2 without losing the battery unlock. Supercharging is much faster and I feel awesome knowing I have a brand new pack. Old battery lasted 220,000km and was Alberta driven before I picked it up used in April 2019. A fresh new start with the 100kWh architecture and upgradable capacity. Motor was replaced August 2020, and previously before me it was replaced in 2018. Final warranty checkup on the 12th of April due to lost smoothness in the motor transition of power to regen, vice versa. Wish me luck 😬

Old 100% range was 395km, new 100% is 437km. 8.4% more ontop of that if I pay to unlock it.
Congrats on winning the Tesla lottery. Personally, I wouldn't pay to unlock it as you already have the main advantage of the larger pack with faster supercharging. You can also charge to 100% faster and without stressing the battery.

A lot of this feels like some of the "bad ground connection" stuff I've read about. Apparently a ground post under the frunk tub that a bunch of stuff uses and if that gets loose/corroded can cause issues...

View attachment 649827

Thanks for your informative posts and the other thread you had started. In your situation, I wouldn't pay extra to unlock that 5kWh capacity. That 5kWh (8.4%) unused capacity is your buffer on the top so you can benefit from faster and full supercharging.