Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Chilam, I'm interested to know what sort of bug precipitated this, as my 2012 P85 had an issue which may be similar. It's currently in service in Rochester.

Anyone who has had the motor power restricted at a low SOC should feel free to contact me--particularly if you're out of warranty and/or driving a P85.

Thanks!

Attachments

• B7929BEF-DA3F-4E0A-9232-FE7088ACB4B6.jpeg
    B7929BEF-DA3F-4E0A-9232-FE7088ACB4B6.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 245
This new battery is Made in USA. All previous batteries for s/x were made in Japan by Panasonic. This may be using newer 2170 cell made in US.
Gigafactory in Nevada? My P85D has an “E” pack and is stamped with Made in the USA. 1031043-00-E 400VDC
Before and after batterygate, I’ve always been able to SuC at 115kW. The taper down is now just very fast. Max rated range for me is 234mi now.

This new battery is Made in USA. All previous batteries for s/x were made in Japan by Panasonic. This may be using newer 2170 cell made in US.

All previous batteries were made by Tesla. The label has always stated made in the USA. The cells were made in Japan, but the pack as a whole is made in the USA. For example, see attached pic of my 2013 battery label.

Attachments

• TeslaBatteryLabel.JPG
    TeslaBatteryLabel.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 212
Sure will update you guys once I get it down low and supercharge it back up to see what speed I get (have to find an off peak time to do so as well to weed out the uncontrolled variables)

As far as others benefiting from my case, it really depends on what's available in their inventory and also upto Tesla's desecration on what is deemed a "Bad Battery" and needed replacement - in my case, even with the "Maximum Battery Charge Limit" error message, they still need to go thru their procedures and diagnostics to make sure that it is the case. They should have an internal protocol on this (i.e. have to have x% of cells/module disabled by the onboard BMS software - What I think the BMS is doing is continuously test the resistance as well the temperature of each cells/modules and flag them to prevent further usage upon exceeding specification or safety standard to prevent a battery fire that we see in China) - this is just my speculation.

Just had the warning post firmware upgrade now my S85 can only charge to 41%. Almost exactly what happened to you.

Remote diagnostic from Tesla ... very clear that I need a new battery and it is coming in 2 weeks. Hope I get one of these in my MS85....

Hey Chilam, I'm interested to know what sort of bug precipitated this, as my 2012 P85 had an issue which may be similar. It's currently in service in Rochester.

Anyone who has had the motor power restricted at a low SOC should feel free to contact me--particularly if you're out of warranty and/or driving a P85.

Thanks!
My car is still in powertrain warranty, I am seeing much more aggressive power and regen limiting this winter even with milder temps. I am still stuck with an older software version that is only heating the pack for charging.

Pack was not warm as I had only driven about 30miles but the other weekend I went to the supercharger while grocery shopping and only saw 40kw, not willing to rule out pack temp as a factor there.

My car is still in powertrain warranty, I am seeing much more aggressive power and regen limiting this winter even with milder temps. I am still stuck with an older software version that is only heating the pack for charging.

I've been noticing the same thing in my 2013 S60. I thought maybe I was misremembering previous winters, but I think you are right. The regen and power has been pretty limited. I live in Phoenix, so its not like its snowing or anything here. Even when its 50-60 degrees, I'm limited.

• Informative
Reactions: StoicKiwi
Just had the warning post firmware upgrade now my S85 can only charge to 41%. Almost exactly what happened to you.

Remote diagnostic from Tesla ... very clear that I need a new battery and it is coming in 2 weeks. Hope I get one of these in my MS85....[/QUOT

Remote diagnostic from Tesla ... very clear that I need a new battery and it is coming in 2 weeks. Hope I get one of these in my MS85....

Is Tesla providing you with a loaner car in the meantime?

Not an option as a P85DL replacement as amps would have to rise from 1500 to 1714 to keep the same power if there was no voltage drop but the extra current will of course drop the voltage so in reality it would be closer to 1750 amps.

Anyone have any tips on getting them to replace the battery? The last update cut my range from 242 to 231 at 100% and my supercharging is capped at 48kw, it starts there and then tappers down a couple mins in down to 33kw and stays there the entire charge. Also my acceleration is way slower after the update. I asked them to check out the battery this week when I had them replace the air suspension but no luck. They said it was due to cold weather but I've never had issues like this in the winter before. Honestly feel like it's a scheme to get us to buy new cars, hoping there's a serious competitor to Tesla sometime soon

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4
Anyone have any tips on getting them to replace the battery? The last update cut my range from 242 to 231 at 100% and my supercharging is capped at 48kw, it starts there and then tappers down a couple mins in down to 33kw and stays there the entire charge. Also my acceleration is way slower after the update. I asked them to check out the battery this week when I had them replace the air suspension but no luck. They said it was due to cold weather but I've never had issues like this in the winter before. Honestly feel like it's a scheme to get us to buy new cars, hoping there's a serious competitor to Tesla sometime soon

Historically, Li-ion was temperamental at high temperatures meaning capacity loss and colder temperatures just slowed the discharge down. Now I think it's commonly believed that colder temperatures can damage batteries just as much as warmer. This may be the case with large packs of batteries like in the Tesla. As well as, colder packs are more vulnerable to weak modules that cause a pack failure at lower SOC. I really don't think these BMS modifications are going to prevent the inevitable failure of these older 85s. Just driving the car and leaving it at a lower SOC may benefit...

Is Tesla providing you with a loaner car in the meantime?

No, but luckily I don’t really need one at the moment - I’ll get a loaner car whilst the car is being serviced.

Just to recap - I got the maximum battery charge Limited warning and then the charging was capped at 41% - AC charging is fine to 41%. Bigger issue is SC in DC was at 1kw/h !!! So no chance of trips or longer journeys....