Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I have a 2012 85kWh "A" pack, my supercharging has always been limited to 90kw with a relatively fast taper, everyone else's "nerfed" charging is my "normal". Back in 2012 charging at 90kw was like amaze-balls, even supercharging at Harris Ranch with the 1 supercharger in a gas station parking lot.
not to minimize your slower charging but 90kw is amazeballs to me. My car can't get over 70kw and drops under 50 in seconds. Enjoy 90 while it lasts...

My apology. I should've mentioned that in my original post.

I always balance my cells from time to time just so that my battery gauge is accurate by letting it go to single digit (sometimes 0!) and charge it back up to 100%. After the infamous update that reduced range for alot of people (which I don't really care about reduced range) it started to charge upto 99% only when I set it for 100%. Later, only 98% then 97%. I did call in to have the remote diag. team to look at the battery and they said it is fine. some time went by and shortly after the latest update w/ an improved battery diag. algorithm for detecting bad batteries, it gave me a "Maximum Charging Range Limited" error on New Years Eve and I could not charged pass 46% (essentially the new firmware disabled problematic cells/modules) but I could use the full 46% w/o any issue. Called SC and they passed the case over to online diag. team and they determined that my battery needs to be replaced and set me up with an appointment 2 days after. It took about 2 weeks for my battery to be shipped from CA and installed. :)

Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on your new supercharging speed and anything else worth sharing.

I wish you would have posted your original message in the "Sudden" thread where all those owners impacted by the batterygate and chargegate can benefit from the outcome of your case.

Thanks again.

Got my original battery pack revision "B" (unsure of the part#) replaced over the weekend and just picked up my car. To my surprise, I now have a new battery showing a ~92% charge to be 265mi and according to the app, 100% is 288mi!!! I initially thought I got a 90kWH pack as a replacement but when I picked it up, battery label shows a part# 1014116-00-A with 85kWh, 350VDC (vs the old pack 400VDC) Hopefully this pack does delivered the original performance or more, but my initial feeling is that my car is slower - but that might be because of the P85D+ loaner that I was driving for the past 2 weeks. I will see if I can talk to someone knowledgeable at Tesla to see what I can find out. In the meantime, what do you guys think of this?

Good to see that they've updated something for those with the 85kwh packs! Good question by @ucmndd if they are actually using a paired down 100kwh pack and just putting a label on it as 85kwh. A new pack will always ready higher than normal rated range until it calibrates from depletion and recharge cycles. My old P85 was 272 @100% when new. That said, updates and efficiencies to the pack and updates to the software make me believe that 289 might be a "legit" rated range. Either way the pack is designated as 85kwh so its most likely going to still be software limited for charging otherwise Tesla will have a LOT of 85kwh owners looking to upgrade their packs.

@croman - Get that yellow ring to service, they no longer replace the screens but have a machine that "bleaches" the yellow out, takes about 2hrs! Only for the touchscreen the IC isn't reparable but since its on black it not noticeable until you turn the car off and shine light on the IC.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
Good question by @ucmndd if they are actually using a paired down 100kwh pack and just putting a label on it as 85kwh.

Either way the pack is designated as 85kwh so its most likely going to still be software limited for charging otherwise Tesla will have a LOT of 85kwh owners looking to upgrade their packs.

I think you misunderstood my original assertion. This is NOT a software locked battery as the nominal pack voltage is lower - 350 volts vs 400. The only way to accomplish that without completely redesigning the cell modules (which is highly unlikely in this case) is to reduce the number of modules in series from 16 to 14. This appears to be a “100kwh-style” pack with the denser modules, but only using 14 of them instead of 16 for a total capacity of about 87 kWh.

I think you misunderstood my original assertion. This is NOT a software locked battery as the nominal pack voltage is lower - 350 volts vs 400. The only way to accomplish that without completely redesigning the cell modules (which is highly unlikely in this case) is to reduce the number of modules in series from 16 to 14. This appears to be a “100kwh-style” pack with the denser modules, but only using 14 of them instead of 16 for a total capacity of about 87 kWh.

Got it, still interesting nonetheless.

One more strange thing for the mix. I have an A pack (000219) and my car has now SuperCharged faster than 90 kW for the first time. Not for very long, but I was very surprised to see it. Is this a new firmware thing? I thought faster than 90 kW was impossible on an A pack.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
@croman - Get that yellow ring to service, they no longer replace the screens but have a machine that "bleaches" the yellow out, takes about 2hrs! Only for the touchscreen the IC isn't reparable but since its on black it not noticeable until you turn the car off and shine light on the IC

Or you if you haven’t seen it, check out the DIY UV thread posted by @ucmndd

a few of us have tried it with very positive results.

sorry to derail this thread for moment.

I wish you would have posted your original message in the "Sudden" thread where all those owners impacted by the batterygate and chargegate can benefit from the outcome of your case.

This is new and novel information that is broadly interesting and frankly has nothing to do with the batterygate issue other than some people might end up with this new pack as a replacement if their battery completely fails.

It would be a terrible shame to bury it in a 500 page thread on an unrelated topic.

Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated on your new supercharging speed and anything else worth sharing.

Thanks again.

Sure will update you guys once I get it down low and supercharge it back up to see what speed I get (have to find an off peak time to do so as well to weed out the uncontrolled variables)

As far as others benefiting from my case, it really depends on what's available in their inventory and also upto Tesla's desecration on what is deemed a "Bad Battery" and needed replacement - in my case, even with the "Maximum Battery Charge Limit" error message, they still need to go thru their procedures and diagnostics to make sure that it is the case. They should have an internal protocol on this (i.e. have to have x% of cells/module disabled by the onboard BMS software - What I think the BMS is doing is continuously test the resistance as well the temperature of each cells/modules and flag them to prevent further usage upon exceeding specification or safety standard to prevent a battery fire that we see in China) - this is just my speculation.

will update you guys once I get it down low and supercharge it back up to see what speed I get (have to find an off peak time to do so as well to weed out the uncontrolled variables)

Remember to pre-condition the battery pack. I see 40 kW on cold battery and 90 kW (peak rate for my ancient Classic 2013 S85) when battery has been sufficiently warmed. I use Bjorn Nylands technique, namely, accelerate full for 5 seconds, regenerate for 6 seconds, repeat for 60 seconds. This rules out charging on "cold" battery pack, ie, pack temperature lower than 28 C degrees.

Reactions: VikH
Remember to pre-condition the battery pack. I see 40 kW on cold battery and 90 kW (peak rate for my ancient Classic 2013 S85) when battery has been sufficiently warmed. I use Bjorn Nylands technique, namely, accelerate full for 5 seconds, regenerate for 6 seconds, repeat for 60 seconds. This rules out charging on "cold" battery pack, ie, pack temperature lower than 28 C degrees.

Yes, I know battery temp will affect it. I will make sure I have a warm battery :) Thanks for the reminder though.

Reactions: SmartElectric
My P85D is capped and max charge @ 237 miles. Would Tesla replace it at this point? I’ve reached out to them when my max was @ 245 miles and they said to req service if it gets below 240.... I think....
Called Tesla on the first attempt when my P85+ had a bit over 200 at ~90% but they said they checked and nothing is wrong ... until the new firmware update, that better detects bad batteries, tells me my "Maximum Battery Range is Limited" They WILL NOT replace anyone's battery based on miles / percent degradation (at least to my knowledge) without doing a over-the-air diagnostic.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke