Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last three posts are NOT the new 85 battery with increased range and capacity. Folks will be happy initially bc the replacement pack is better than the old one it replaced.
So, getting the new 85 battery with 350v is still akin to a lottery

Yup, I won the lottery and got the 350V pack for my replacement last month. 90% charge is 250 miles, slightly better than the original when new. 90% on the original was 219 miles at time of replacement at 92k miles. Haven't measured charge rate at a Supercharger.

Yup, I won the lottery and got the 350V pack for my replacement last month. 90% charge is 250 miles, slightly better than the original when new. 90% on the original was 219 miles at time of replacement at 92k miles. Haven't measured charge rate at a Supercharger.
It is interesting as that battery has been removed from the Tesla Part catalog.
Should we conclude that tesla continues to produce it as a replacement for failed ones ?

It is interesting as that battery has been removed from the Tesla Part catalog.
Should we conclude that tesla continues to produce it as a replacement for failed ones ?

If they removed it from the parts catalog, it will not be made. They probably used it either because they are running out of refurb as they needed to concentrate on new cell development or they were doing some test to see how this turns out. Looks like those new refurb are pretty good too.

Just an update, Battery degradation on the brand new pack is at 3.1% after maybe 3 supercharge sessions, and around bi-weekly 40A charging at home to 90% (I don't like topping it everyday) after about 10 months.

Was 288-289 @ 100% rated miles when I first got it, now it is 279 @ 100% per iOS app slider. This battery has not been balanced so far so I will do that at around 1 year mark and post another update.

If they removed it from the parts catalog, it will not be made. They probably used it either because they are running out of refurb as they needed to concentrate on new cell development or they were doing some test to see how this turns out. Looks like those new refurb are pretty good too.

It looks as though the 1597780-01-A part exists in the "model s" catalog but not the "Before Apr/2016" model S catalog. The "OG S" catalog has a couple batteries while the facelift+ catalog has a whole bunch of batteries.

None of this is a promise from tesla that they'll support these in the future, of course.

I'm curious to see how they support these cars past when they stop making this generation of battery assembly; how much a new battery assy costs if someone with a 12 year old S wants a new pack, for instance...

No need to wonder - look at the plight of the Roadster owners

I think the roadsters are an interesting datapoint -- as was pointed out a very small number were made (though they were very important to the company early on). And tesla did make an updated pack for some time; it was absurdly expensive but I doubt it made tesla a ton of money. Last year I saw a roadster at a service center a couple times (I managed to get a flat tire and had some door issues and just showed up at the SC uninvited and they took me in, maybe because I looked sad?) and there was a roadster there that they said "it's got a dead battery we're waiting for the factory to fix it or make a new one"

There's also been "unnecessary" support to the tune of the MCU 1 -> 2 upgrade; it's deeply flawed in that it doesn't include FM and is pretty expensive, but it also didn't need to happen at all; they could have just stopped at certifying the 64gb flash chip and and been done with it.

Tesla's overall goal seems to be "make a megaton of batteries as cheaply as possible and sell them to whoever will buy them with as much profit as possible." At the moment that's "somewhat fancy to extremely fancy cars" but in the future that'll include basement batteries, economy car batteries, and maybe replacement battery packs for "legacy" EVs...

I imagine there are lots of people who'd be happy to drop $5-12k on rebatterying a 12 year old S/X with a wallered out battery, if the rest of the car is in good shape and the battery has a 4 year warranty on the battery. Other than suspensions randomly breaking, the rest of the car seems to hold up pretty well assuming you don't get hit by another car...

It looks as though the 1597780-01-A part exists in the "model s" catalog but not the "Before Apr/2016" model S catalog. The "OG S" catalog has a couple batteries while the facelift+ catalog has a whole bunch of batteries.

None of this is a promise from tesla that they'll support these in the future, of course.

I'm curious to see how they support these cars past when they stop making this generation of battery assembly; how much a new battery assy costs if someone with a 12 year old S wants a new pack, for instance...

Thanks. I’d swear when I checked a few months back, it was in neither.
Anyway, reassuring, thanks for checking there too.
I’m no expert on that field, but isn’t a manufacturer forced to provide parts for a number of years beyond producing said product ?
And not only during the warranty period of the last one produced, but beyond that?

My main battery pack was replaced 2 weeks ago (see post 373 above). Today, I got message "Vehicle unable to start, voltage low, service required."

It was after a heavy rain, so maybe water ingress into the battery? At any rate, very annoying.

It might be possible that the replacement battery is fine (it'd be embarrassing if a refurb product failed in 2 weeks...where's the QC?) and that another component downstream is the culprit. Perhaps the HV battery contactors or something either failed or wasn't properly reinstalled. Hope it works out for you.

@eelton , what was your 90 or 100 percent range on that battery? Sounds like they gave you a ‘refurb’ that wasn’t actually refurbed. Ie- not the ‘new 85’

The replacement battery pack was remanufactured, part # 1088815-01-B (ASY,HV BATT,S3,BB,REMAN,MDLS).

My original battery charged daily to about 215 miles, although I realized that I hadn't set the charging level for years and I'm not really sure where it was set--it may have been 80% rather than 90%. When I got the car back with the replacement remanufactured battery, the charge was set to the line between daily and trip (is that 90%?), and the battery charged to about 210 miles. I assume they left the charge limit where it had been, although it occurred to me that they may have moved it up to make the replacement battery look like it held a charge better. (My original battery was pretty babied--43K miles on the car, supercharged under 10 times during the life of the car, never charged to 100%, and never discharged below about 70 miles).

It might be possible that the replacement battery is fine (it'd be embarrassing if a refurb product failed in 2 weeks...where's the QC?) and that another component downstream is the culprit. Perhaps the HV battery contactors or something either failed or wasn't properly reinstalled. Hope it works out for you.

Since it happened after the car was parked in the rain (but not driven in the rain), I wonder about water getting into a battery connection that wasn't reinstalled correctly.

On the plus side, Tesla sent me a text saying they moved up my appointment from two weeks away (which the app had given me) to tomorrow. Now I just need to have the car flat-bedded to the service center.

Think I will wait on that, 1 bolt is not worth the effort haha yes I am lazy. SC Littleton said it's fine don't worry about it!

From watching Rich Rebuilds I know the battery wont fall out even if only 2 or 3 bolts are holding it in. I will still make them tighten it up on my next trip back to get my other car with a motor issue when it is done being fixed.

I did wedge myself partially under the car with a flashlight to check a few others and confirmed they had bolts and appeared fully seated so looks like just the one. Still disappointed as every time I go to the Littleton SC they give the car back with somthing not right, last time they mixed up one of my fobs with somone elses and had to replace the one that would not work with my car. Time before that they left an AC compressor and other parts in the trunk that I returned to them.

Guess I was wrong, car is dead again, problem with the refurb pack that was installed, on a flatbed going back to the service center now, I asked for a new battery this time not a refurb as I dont want to repeat this again... not holding my breath. Refurb pack lasted 544 miles before giving up!

Saddens me greatly and huge inconvenience to my family again.
Screenshot_20201022-164510_Gallery.jpg