Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
;) - will do

I believe that the first of these batteries were installed in European cars back in April, here is one in Norway from April 2020 and his supercharger stats. Not crazy impressive, but better than the current limitation on the original 85.

Dublin, Ireland, EU.
My friend recently had his HV Battery replaced under warranty. His car is a 2014 P85. The replaced battery pack was a remanufactured pack from 2013.
This was replaced in November 2020.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
;) - will do

I believe that the first of these batteries were installed in European cars back in April, here is one in Norway from April 2020 and his supercharger stats. Not crazy impressive, but better than the current limitation on the original 85.

That curve looks to me like a cool (IE not hot) battery. Like Tolstoy said, there are a bunch of reasons why you might not charge quickly at a supercharger...

I bet on a hot battery it'd hit 120 from 05% to 20% and keep the rate the same as that graph from there...

Dublin, Ireland, EU.
My friend recently had his HV Battery replaced under warranty. His car is a 2014 P85. The replaced battery pack was a remanufactured pack from 2013.
This was replaced in November 2020.

As standard, and??

I only said that the new battery has been in Europe at least since April 2020, it's still very few that gets the new battery and it is a complete lottery what you get. So I don't understand what you are saying.

hello, my S85 2014 year recently was loosing coolant since some time. But garage floor was dry. This is exTaxi Amsterdam fleet Tesla with mileage 558.000km and still original battery. Then few days ago I came home and next time I wanted to drive there were common error faults like "low voltage, car may not start, etc". So I delivered car to Tesla Service in Warsaw (Poland - Europe) and they told me car needs new HV battery. I thought it would be rather engine problem as coolant loss. But they ordered battery and said to me it will be 99% remanufactured one (would prefer of course new 350V one)
So I'm happy to get hopefully better battery. My range was 320km (still very good with 558.000km), and I know common range is 350-360km, and new (350V) battery gives even 400km and not limited (by software) supercharging speed. So I will call them on Monday and ask of part number they ordered. Still wondering what coolant leak has to do with battery.

Last edited:
As standard, and??

I only said that the new battery has been in Europe at least since April 2020, it's still very few that gets the new battery and it is a complete lottery what you get. So I don't understand what you are saying.

No need to get your knickers in a twist.
People posted about a new HV pack in Europe when realistically in the real world people are still getting the remanufactured packs.

Thats all. Now go remains that chip from your shoulder. It may help with the tone of your posts.

People posted about a new HV pack in Europe when realistically in the real world people are still getting the remanufactured packs.
That was the whole point of the posts - New battery has come to Europe, but you should be more than lucky to get it as 99% still get the reman old 85.

But hey, I'll work on my chip if you take the time to read the posts before commenting :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
So I'm happy to get hopefully better battery. My range was 320km (still very good with 558.000km), and I know common range is 350-360km, and new (350V) battery gives even 400km and not limited (by software) supercharging speed. So I will call them on Monday and ask of part number they ordered. Still wondering what coolant leak has to do with battery.

320km after 558.000 km is very good. The new 85kWh battery says 423km typical in a P85DL, will check the supercharging speed this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I just installed Scan My Tesla and this is the first read out I did from the new battery. I'm in the process of setting up TeslaLogger, but it will not accept my Tesla credentials, as soon as I have it I will come back with a Supercharger charging session.

Attachments

• SMT813.jpg
    SMT813.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 3,435
  • Informative
what service center in Denmark installed new 350V battery? :) I should tow my car to that center! :)
You have brand new car now!
I know one guy who had battery replaced in August 2020 in Warsaw (Poland) service center for remanufactured one
and his range dropped from 370km to 330km with "new" battery. Maybe to Poland they send "scrap"... :/
Mine is waiting for battery exchange... now I feel "not happy"

yes - the SoC + charge rate tops out at 138 I think.

and the SoC + charge rate stayed at 130 or above from SoC 30-65%, which I believe is higher than I've seen before. It still takes 1,5 hour to fully charge, but I also get about 8kW more in that time.

I don't understand the slow ramp up in charge rate as I came in with battery temp of 36C, it took 5 min to get to it's max of 114 kW, which I also think is a bit low.

• Informative
hello, my S85 2014 year recently was loosing coolant since some time. But garage floor was dry. This is exTaxi Amsterdam fleet Tesla with mileage 558.000km and still original battery. Then few days ago I came home and next time I wanted to drive there were common error faults like "low voltage, car may not start, etc". So I delivered car to Tesla Service in Warsaw (Poland - Europe) and they told me car needs new HV battery. I thought it would be rather engine problem as coolant loss. But they ordered battery and said to me it will be 99% remanufactured one (would prefer of course new 350V one)

Well, if your coolant level was dropping regularly, and there were no signs of an external leak, then it likely to be leaking internally in the battery, or so I would posit.

Questions:

As for your replacement battery, how much did it/will it cost?

Do you have any warranty coverage?

Also, how is the rest of the vehicle holding up for you--that's a LOT of distance that car has covered so I hope you got an excellent deal on it?

Thanks.

yes - the SoC + charge rate tops out at 138 I think.

and the SoC + charge rate stayed at 130 or above from SoC 30-65%, which I believe is higher than I've seen before. It still takes 1,5 hour to fully charge, but I also get about 8kW more in that time.

I don't understand the slow ramp up in charge rate as I came in with battery temp of 36C, it took 5 min to get to it's max of 114 kW, which I also think is a bit low.
Thanks for sharing.

Rampup is similar to what 100 batteries report. Which makes sense, as it appears to be your battery is a 100 with 2 modules removed.
Though it is nice to see 100kW until 40%, which is better than the original 85, it looks like they nerfed the speed.

Anyway, I'd be glad to have that battery for sure.

Reactions: rns-e
Well, if your coolant level was dropping regularly, and there were no signs of an external leak, then it likely to be leaking internally in the battery, or so I would posit.
Could be leaking into the rear motor, which isn't uncommon. @ajbessinger has been posting the diagnosis and repair process when feasible. Though I'm not sure if it can leak enough to really be possible. I imagine that if coolant was leaking into the battery pack, things would go wrong quite quickly.