Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just submitted my ticket to the Tesla battery lottery for my 2013 P85+.
3 weeks left on the 8 year warranty, the car died with multiple battery related errors.
Managed to get a TMspy reading just before it went completely black.
Do you think I have a fair chance?

1629473882411.png

Reactions: dekuramen
3 weeks left on the 8 year warranty, the car died with multiple battery related errors.

View attachment 699035

It really all depends on what Tesla wants (is willing) to do for you. FYI, they do not accept the 3rd party tools as evidence of any battery issue. All the best.

Reactions: gmo43

View attachment 699035

If your battery died then they'll replace it if it's still under warranty. Not sure what you mean by if you have a fair chance.

What were your battery errors?

Reactions: MP3Mike
If your battery died then they'll replace it if it's still under warranty. Not sure what you mean by if you have a fair chance.

What were your battery errors?

I meant to ask if anyone had a qualified guess if this would likely result in me getting a replacement battery and not just having the old one resurrected.

Errors:
DI_u014 Unable to drive Voltage too low
GTW_w018 Reduced power Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly
BMS_f071 Vehicle unable to start
BMS_u008 Acceleration and top speed reduced
BMS_w107 Vehicle may not restart
GTW_w370 Battery level too low
BMS_u018 Maximum battery level reduced
Plus a lot of different Service required messages

Battery was at 76% when parked, then showed 78% five hours later before shutdown.
According to ScanMyTesla it had a nominal full pack of 75,2 kWh two months ago, reduced to 71,1 kWh just before shutdown.

I meant to ask if anyone had a qualified guess if this would likely result in me getting a replacement battery and not just having the old one resurrected.

Errors:

Battery was at 76% when parked, then showed 78% five hours later before shutdown.
According to ScanMyTesla it had a nominal full pack of 75,2 kWh two months ago, reduced to 71,1 kWh just before shutdown.
if you get to SC can you ask them what is the cause of BMS_f071 and BMS_w107 please, I have same errors but my 2013 just became out of warranty 3 months ago :( it might help me fix my car!!! thanks a lot in advance

if you get to SC can you ask them what is the cause of BMS_f071 and BMS_w107 please, I have same errors but my 2013 just became out of warranty 3 months ago :( it might help me fix my car!!! thanks a lot in advance

Errors:

by the way
BMS_f071 SM TransCon not met
BMS_w107 SW Cell Voltage sensor

but we need to know what is the root cause for these errors....

Without wanting to sidetrack this thread - is there any knowledge out there for the actual failure rate to date of the 85kwhr packs?. Anecdotally it seems to be becoming a reasonably common issue (factoring into the decision to purchase a used car obviously), but of course only the failures really get reported and not the happily operating ones. Any ideas out there?

Just heard back from the SC, they have ordered a replacement battery .
The person I texted with had no technical knowledge so that was all I was told.
So now the wait begins to see if I get the top prize (new 350V) or consolation price (refurbish).

Just heard back from the SC, they have ordered a replacement battery .
The person I texted with had no technical knowledge so that was all I was told.
So now the wait begins to see if I get the top prize (new 350V) or consolation price (refurbish).
They should update your work order when they order the part, which should give you an idea of what you are getting.

Yeah, should.
No work order is visible in the app, it just says: Waiting for parts

This is the original 2013 85 kWh battery, 50k miles, spent most of its time between 30 and 80%, supercharged 870 kWh of a total of 20843 (so around 5%), 293 charge cycles. Appeared to be healthy with little range loss until failure.
Sucks really, I was hoping it would last a long time, a refurbish will likely have more wear than this. :(
Hopefully they will not find a refurbish that is as good, so they will have to give me a new one. 🤞

Last edited:
Yeah, should.
No work order is visible in the app, it just says: Waiting for parts

This is the original 2013 85 kWh battery, 50k miles, spent most of its time between 30 and 80%, supercharged 870 kWh of a total of 20843 (so around 5%), 293 charge cycles. Appeared to be healthy with little range loss until failure.
Sucks really, I was hoping it would last a long time, a refurbish will likely have more wear than this. :(
Hopefully they will not find a refurbish that is as good, so they will have to give me a new one. 🤞
Thanks keep us posted. Hoping you get the good one!

I haven’t seen any instances of this battery being software locked for cars badged as 85/P85

Click at this post for example: