Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it capped at 80 kWh? You bought a 85 kWh battery with your car.
I know - 85 was 81 bla bla bla bla - but hey, now they have installed a battery that can actually give you the 85 kWh you bought, so why cap it to 80?
Well 77 kWh actually, if you want to compare like for like.
I am perfectly happy with this, that is just the industry standard for specifying batteries.
I never bought a car with 85kWh available, I understood and expected this when placing the order 9 years ago.
The new battery is better than my old one in every measurable way, I am certainly not going to ask Tesla for more.
Lucky for you that yours was not capped, enjoy it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yurand and Droschke
I would say you 100% did, the change away from stating 85 kWh was not introduced until the P85D's started being delivered.
They never stated 85kWh would be available, for any battery system designed to last for years of heavy use you need to have margins and buffers to ensure the required lifespan.
Admittedly, as en electrical engineer with years of experience with lithium batteries, I might see this differently than the average consumer.

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3 and Droschke
They never stated 85kWh would be available, for any battery system designed to last for years of heavy use you need to have margins and buffers to ensure the required lifespan.
I agree that they never stated 85 kWh would be available, they actually never stated what would be available. They just said that you bought a car with a 85 kWh battery. It would be fair to assume that the average consumer would think 85 kWh means 85 kWh the same way a gallon of gasoline is actually a gallon of gasoline. I think you would get pretty p.... if you only got 3/4 of a gallon and when you said you paid for a full gallon, they would you tell you that a gallon is an arbitrary marketing label and you got what you paid for.

Even given your understanding of lithium batteries there is a long way from naming the battery 85 kWh and when it actually only has 81 kWh and only 77 kWh available. Where does the 85 kWh come from? Why even name it 85 kWh if not to give the consumer an indication of a specific amount of capacity?

. It would be fair to assume that the average consumer would think 85 kWh means 85 kWh the same way a gallon of gasoline is actually a gallon of gasoline. I think you would get pretty p.... if you only got 3/4 of a gallon and when you said you paid for a full gallon, they would you tell you that a gallon is an arbitrary marketing label and you got what you paid for.

But that is exactly the reason why American and imperial gallons differ in volume!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂 really!

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
70 kW at 75%? Sweet. SoC + kWh in the 140-145 range.

Hmm, seems too good to be true on second thought.
I may have remembered this wrong as I was in a bit of a hurry to get home.
Will double check next time.
New supercharging session on a V3 with a CCS adapter.
Started at 112kW at 12%,
Left the car for 34 minutes
Stopped at 74% with 65kW.
Much better than the old chargegated battery.

New supercharging session on a V3 with a CCS adapter.
Started at 112kW at 12%,
Left the car for 34 minutes
Stopped at 74% with 65kW.
Much better than the old chargegated battery.
Glad to see some positive results for replacements. Just charged today with our 85d from around 35% to around 65% and never reached higher than 42 kW. So the same speed as our 2016 e-golf….I wonder when it will finally be productive to request a replacement based on charging speed being nerfed since a primary selling point of this vehicle vs, for example the e-golf, was ability for long distance travel. With charging speeds like this the 2015 S is only marginally better than the e-golf for long distance travel.

I am going to get same replacement battery like yours, would like to know what is your battery range at 100% after 7 months ? thanks
I got a reman 85kWh in summer 2020. It appears to have a bit more capacity than my original battery, and is sw capped at 251mi @ 100%, 4.17V/cell. It has not changed in over a year (although not much driving; maybe 5000 miles)

Got my original battery pack revision "B" (unsure of the part#) replaced over the weekend and just picked up my car. To my surprise, I now have a new battery showing a ~92% charge to be 265mi and according to the app, 100% is 288mi!!! I initially thought I got a 90kWH pack as a replacement but when I picked it up, battery label shows a part# 1014116-00-A with 85kWh, 350VDC (vs the old pack 400VDC) Hopefully this pack does delivered the original performance or more, but my initial feeling is that my car is slower - but that might be because of the P85D+ loaner that I was driving for the past 2 weeks. I will see if I can talk to someone knowledgeable at Tesla to see what I can find out. In the meantime, what do you guys think of this?
I not they new 1014116-00-B for my 85D. I do feel a bit decrease in the acceleration but I cant confirm it.

Search for "Charged to 100% overnight using UMC 3kW AC", read before/after. That's an example for SW-Limited free under warranty replacement. An unlocked (fully paid) one theoretically should show about 289 miles.

I recommend you charge normally up to 90%, for better battery health long-term. If you must charge to a higher level you should drive your vehicle immediately after the charge completes.