Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessary. I have a 100kWh battery in my P85D (done by @wk057) and no suspension parts were replaced -- nor do they need to be replaced.

The weight difference between the smaller packs and the 100kWh pack is about 250 pounds, or the weight of one large passenger or a bunch of luggage.

BTW, I get 285 miles@100% out of my P85D. ;)
285 miles is just about 454 km - and with a 100 kWh battery - the same as @dark cloud - even more interesting

Reading this thread makes me even more excited to get our p85d back from the SC with the hv battery replaced with a 1014116-00-C pack under warranty. Did get the rear upper link suspension assembly replaced.

Did someone determine why some are getting this done and some aren't? TSB/Recall for certain models or country specific?
Or was it just worn out past service limits for rear camber adjustment and they are doing it under goodwill?

Reactions: Droschke
Not necessary. I have a 100kWh battery in my P85D (done by @wk057) and no suspension parts were replaced -- nor do they need to be replaced.

The weight difference between the smaller packs and the 100kWh pack is about 250 pounds, or the weight of one large passenger or a bunch of luggage.

BTW, I get 285 miles@100% out of my P85D. ;)
My simple math a few months ago based on reported weights of the 85 pack vs. a 100 pack with 2 modules removed at 61 lbs each was around 100 lbs.
I actually took my car over a weigh scale a couple of years ago, I wish I wrote down what it read and then I could go over it again and physically see the actual difference.

When you get a chance could you check to see if the bottom of your 100 pack has all the underside protection rails as the 85 pack I showed a picture of above? or is it like the 1014116-00-C bottom? Those 2 steel rails have got to weigh about 20 lbs.

Maybe next year I'll take it down to @wk057 and see if he can make it a ludi, then it'll be as fast as Hanks. :)

• Helpful
When you get a chance could you check to see if the bottom of your 100 pack has all the underside protection rails as the 85 pack I showed a picture of above? or is it like the 1014116-00-C bottom? Those 2 steel rails have got to weigh about 20 lbs.

It has the rails, which is not surprising for a 2016 battery.
1667924273746.jpeg

On my way home with the new pack.
Yup, happy with the new pack :)
Supercharging for the third time on this trip past the cars rolled in the ditch that went off the icy Coquihalla.
Don’t know if it is software limited yet or not, but the 2014 85 pack had a maximum of 404 km, so looking at this range means no, but even at 100% it was still supercharging at 17 kw, said “calculating” and I had regen, which means there is some buffer there. (?)
View attachment 871483
View attachment 871484
Definately un-corked. Right where the math says you should be. Enjoy your P90D :)

I agree that a 100 kWh is very unlikely. But the typical range, which I believe we are talking about, is it not set by a fixed formula? Is that formula taking into account which size wheels you are running?

So my car will say 438 km at 100% charge and I'm running 21" staggered, so if it takes into account that I'm running 21 and @dark cloud is running 19", the range would make sense. I can not make the 17 kW at 454 km make sense.

Have you had a SMT on your car? Are you running 19"?
The 17kw at the top doing the last 1-2 miles is what the new uncorked C pack does... Older batteries also slowed way down at 99%. The capped ones do not slow down that much at 99%.

• Informative
Did someone determine why some are getting this done and some aren't? TSB/Recall for certain models or country specific?
Or was it just worn out past service limits for rear camber adjustment and they are doing it under goodwill?
When they replaced my battery with the C, they said that when they entered my VIN, it said they needed to be upgraded before they even got my car. I guess its something to do with build date and options? Not all VINs need them (as we have seen here).

i dont know why they did it on my car, but it was nothing charged for the parts/work. im guessing corrosion had something to do with it, they mentioned that they struggled to loosen some of the suspension parts due to corrosion present.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
i dont know why they did it on my car, but it was nothing charged for the parts/work. im guessing corrosion had something to do with it, they mentioned that they struggled to loosen some of the suspension parts due to corrosion present.
Corrosion would only be in the bolts and nuts, which they just cut if necessary. The part itself would not have any corrosion.

The highest uncapped range for 1014116-00-C I've seen is 297 miles for 2013 S85. His P85D range with the same pack is 282 miles, and that's why he is pulling 17 kw at 99% and with regen. He must be capped at the top slightly.
my tesla service center claims the new 1014116-00-c in my 2015 model s 85d should show a range of 305 miles, will definitely post pictures if it really does, and they calculate the range at 285 wh/mi, and that works out to 87kwh, so 87.5kwh sounds right

my tesla service center claims the new 1014116-00-c in my 2015 model s 85d should show a range of 305 miles, will definitely post pictures if it really does, and they calculate the range at 285 wh/mi, and that works out to 87kwh, so 87.5kwh sounds right
I can get that efficiency going down hills :)
That would mean they are calculating the range of my P85D with 320 Wh/mi, so they rate the 85D to be 12% more efficient than a P85D. Interesting
Even that would be good for me. Over the last 90,000 km my efficiency is 220 Wh/km or 352 Wh/mi.

That would mean they are calculating the range of my P85D with 320 Wh/mi, so they rate the 85D to be 12% more efficient than a P85D. Interesting
the 85d was advertised at 270 miles of range, and the 85 was advertised 265, not sure for performance models, but google says the 2015 p85d was 253
most cars getting the new battery seem to be just under 300 miles, but also most the cars are before mine, 2012-2014 when warranties expired. i dont want to get stuck on the side of the road just after march when my battery warranty expires, if im going to spend the money anyways i just want to get it over with, i stopped caring, just want a car that works right again.

with my driving style i am hoping to get at least 200 miles out of 1 charge...

also i just noticed the used tesla website doesnt show anything before 2016, maybe tesla doesnt resell those anymore?

Last edited: