Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had no idea it can be done without a failure.
So in other words, for tesla the battery pack value is the same functional or non functional

If you are quoted an out of pocket price for any pack replacement, that price assumes you give them your old pack. You want to keep it? Then your out of pocket price would be substantially higher. It's always been that way that I can remember.

Just had failure of the battery (HV isolation fault), and it's been submitted for replacement. No details/estimate yet in app (just 418€ but no info), so not sure on part #, the suspense is going to be hard :)

This is for a 2014 P85D. But it originally was a NL car, so chassis is Dec. 2014, and Battery is Mar. 2015 (not sure about motors)
Part No. 1031043-00-E
Serial No. T15C0075658

Does anyone know how replacements are going in Europe, right now? Getting new C packs here, too? Quoted 3-6 weeks wait. And that they'll let me know when they have a loaner.

When the car died I was in a random place, car left for a few days, and thought maybe the 12V died (original from 2014!) so I went to a nearby SC an hour away and got a new 12V for 160€ and replaced it myself, easy, but no fix, so then it was tow time.

Side note, the condensation drain tubing on this car was done to the front of the battery pack, so it hasn't been draining on top of the pack, but this still happened.

SC is currently charging me for diagnostic fee (seems to be 200€) and 12V battery replacement, saying since I swapped 12V, and configuration wasn't changed (?) the 12V was deep discharged and they have to replace it again. A 1 week old battery. I think they just didn't want to wait to charge it. But even so, it's the HV failure that caused it to fail. I don't think I should be paying for any of that (besides the original 12V I bought), but not going to bring it up until the HV is replaced.

Second side note: I mentioned front drive unit is clearly leaking, and if there was an issue with the rear drive unit (it has asymmetric drone above 80km/h). They said it would be another diagnostic fee to check (200€ presumably). Not sure whether to do that now, and see what happens, so if replaced it'll be the same wait time, or just do it later.

Hoping for a new uncapped C pack! But no idea what Europe's been getting... I don't think Berlin is making S packs...

@Videomatic3 did the SC tell you what you should expect for SC charge speeds?
they told me it should be closer to 150kw, but after taking it to a charger its nowhere close to that. its significantly better now, and i plan to make a video supercharging it once my car gets rebadged to a 90d. they told me that engineering wanted to see a paid invoice before the car gets changed from 85d to 90d. the car charges to 275 miles as a 85d and they expect to see 305 miles @ 285 mi/kw when its a 90d.
the highest ive seen it charge is around 20% and around 113kw, at 10% it only went up to around 110kw, something like that.
i want to make a video because theres been a lot of questions on here whether or not its worth it to get the new battery and charging speeds etc.

they told me it should be closer to 150kw, but after taking it to a charger its nowhere close to that. its significantly better now, and i plan to make a video supercharging it once my car gets rebadged to a 90d. they told me that engineering wanted to see a paid invoice before the car gets changed from 85d to 90d. the car charges to 275 miles as a 85d and they expect to see 305 miles @ 285 mi/kw when its a 90d.
the highest ive seen it charge is around 20% and around 113kw, at 10% it only went up to around 110kw, something like that.
i want to make a video because theres been a lot of questions on here whether or not its worth it to get the new battery and charging speeds etc.
@Videomatic3 thanks for doing the video. I love my 70D but, for long road trips, it's getting old doing a 2:1 (drive time:charge time) ratio for several days.

Recent example. 9% SOC -> 70% SOC in 42 minutes at a 150kW max SC. :-(

1669002547508.png

@Videomatic3 thanks for doing the video. I love my 70D but, for long road trips, it's getting old doing a 2:1 (drive time:charge time) ratio for several days.

Recent example. 9% SOC -> 70% SOC in 42 minutes at a 150kW max SC. :-(

View attachment 876645
I was pleased my old road trip to my grandparents house usually consisted of 1 supercharge for 45 minutes on the way to their house, this was after charging to 100% in the morning, and another one for 15 minutes on the way back home, however this last time it was 1 charge for 35 minutes on the way up, and we took the wrong way back home, going the wrong way for a while, and still made it back home. was much better, and i didnt even charge at home over night, i think i started with around 78% charge.
i dont want to to a video till its 90d for the true size of the battery, they told me to expect it to change on monday. if it doesnt change tomorrow i will be driving back to the service center to ask wtf.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockinWithKids
i got this charging graph from bjorn at this
and from what information i could find on Fleet Charging MAX (Firmware)
i made my own graph estimating the charging rates of the c pack
im off quite a bit because the pack never reached 120kw
hoping to make a more accurate one soon...
the difference between the blue line and red line is about 13 minutes longer to 80% and not only that you get less range out of the red line due to degradation.

Attachments

• charging rates.png
    charging rates.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Interesting, so if your SoC was 33% and you added 58 kWh, then your (usable)capacity would be 86.5 kWh, and you believe it is capped as well ... Do you have a SMT to see what it says the nominal full pack says?

That 86.5kWh you are calculating includes the 5kWh buffer for this pack. So, it's nominal not "usable". The usable in this case is 86.5 - 5 = 81.5kWh.

Ok, you disagree? So a full charge from 0-100% includes the buffer? Never heard of that.

Or don't you agree that he started charging with a SoC of 33% or that he put 58 kWh on the car bringing it from a SoC from 33% to 100%?

Or do you not agree that 67% is 58 kWh in his case and if the 58 kWh is 67%, then 100% is 86,5 kWh?