Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, so if your SoC was 33% and you added 58 kWh, then your (usable)capacity would be 86.5 kWh, and you believe it is capped as well ... Do you have a SMT to see what it says the nominal full pack says?
Pretty sure that's 58kWh pulled from the wall, not pushed into the battery. Charging is ~90% efficient, so 58 * 0.90 = 52.2kWh added.

It's easy to test - charge your car at a known voltage/current for 1 hour and see what the display reports for the charge session

Pretty sure that's 58kWh pulled from the wall, not pushed into the battery. Charging is ~90% efficient, so 58 * 0.90 = 52.2kWh added.

It's easy to test - charge your car at a known voltage/current for 1 hour and see what the display reports for the charge session
But it's from the MCU in the car, not form the wall. The car can only see from the charge port and in, right?

Edit: one explanation could be that he was in the car while charging and having the heater on (it is cold in Norway)

Last edited:
So that would mean than when you hit 0% then you have used the buffer - but the buffer is there to make sure that the SoC never gets below the size of the buffer, so that makes no sense

Even the kWh, you can calculate by the Energy app when charged to 100%, includes the bottom buffer at the start but then it curves out as it goes down in range ;)

Edit:
kWh instead of Projected Range.

Last edited:
57.8kwh added. 59.2 total.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122_003955.jpg
    Screenshot_20221122_003955.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: rns-e and Droschke
I have some information regarding the weight difference between my old 85 battery and the new 1014116-00-C "90" pack.

in spring 2021 I weighed my 85 pack car at an aggregate supplier before filling up some pails of rock. I dug around in the filing cabinet and found a receipt.
The weight (actually mass, but you know) was 2400 kg.
I just went through the same scale and it was bouncing between 2360-2370 kg, as it was windy. 30 kg is 66 lbs.

Considering the almost worn out 19" Continental DWS06 tires I had on then weighed 18.4 lbs each new, vs. the 60% tread Nokian WRG4's I have on now which are 27 lbs new, both on identical alloys, me being 5 lbs lighter now, and no other significant variables, I believe my car now is about 100-110 lbs lighter with the 1014116-00-C pack, assuming that the scale is consistent in its calibration of course.

I have some information regarding the weight difference between my old 85 battery and the new 1014116-00-C "90" pack.

in spring 2021 I weighed my 85 pack car at an aggregate supplier before filling up some pails of rock. I dug around in the filing cabinet and found a receipt.
I just went through the same scale and it was bouncing between 2360-2370 kg, as it was windy. 30 kg is 66 lbs.

Considering the almost worn out 19" Continental DWS06 tires I had on then weighed 18.4 lbs each new, vs. the 60% tread Nokian WRG4's I have on now which are 27 lbs new, both on identical alloys, me being 5 lbs lighter now, and no other significant variables, I believe my car now is about 100-110 lbs lighter with the 1014116-00-C pack, assuming that the scale is consistent in its calibration of course.
Interesting, thx. I would have bet the 90 would be heavier.

The "C" pack being lighter is what I always thought. We still do not know why they replace those suspension parts for some cars. Based on at least one car I know, the parts were ordered prior to the car arriving at the service center, so it wasn't because of some visual inspection of the possible worn out parts. It must be just different parts installed in different S85’s that need to be replaced and they only do it during the battery swap?

What are the performance numbers for those of you who have P85 and received the new 350 V variety of battery packs?

I find this especially interesting because in my P85 I noticed a significant drop off in power as the battery discharged. Performance equaled spec or a little better from 100% SOC to 90%. Then a steep drop off from 90% downward. At 50% my P85 felt not much faster than a regular 85. I assumed that the inverter just had a set current limit that was met, so as the voltage dropped during discharge, so would the available power. Resulting in power proportional to voltage.

That assumption can't be correct because people would have reacted after the 400 ->350 V replacement if they suddenly had 12.5% less power. The 350 V packs should have less voltage sag since more cells in parallel, but can't image it make up for all of the 12.5%.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to hear what your numbers are.

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R
At what SOC is the 85 battery supposed to start power limiting? And have anyone tried to log the stats on hard acceleration? Mine has a voltage drop of over 100V, making it going down to 250V below 50% and at 270V at above 80%.
At higher SOC the amperage is high and can still deliver the power, but as soon as it goes below 1000A I am power limited. Wonder if this is a battery problem sign.
Mine is a non performance, 2015 85D

Thank you. Unfortunately it doesn’t show if the voltage sag contributes to the lower power. For me the sag is between 25 to 30% on WOT which seems high.
Internal resistance can increase as a battery ages so an increasing voltage drop may occur without any fault condition. How degraded is your battery/what’s your range on full charge?
My P85 lost power with SOC since new, not a battery fault. Are you losing more power now than when the car was new?

Only bought the car 20k miles ago, currently sitting at 105k miles.
No issues or power limits until 1 month ago when initially I thought is due to outside temperature. Before it was only limiting around 7% SOC.
Now it’s visible below 50% acceleration when the battery cannot maintain high amperage. The drop in pack voltage is high even at high SOC, but masked by the amperage that is still high. Probably would be more visible on a performance model.
Right now the cell voltage can go to a minimum 2.56V, very close to the shutdown value with a minimum pack voltage of 250V.