Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85Ds were "battery limited", not software. Some product of the available 81kwh x volts was always lower than 692 "motor power" as once famously said. Where most other Teslas don't start fading with SOC, our cars did.

What I'd be surprised about w/b if anyone upgrading with WK057's P100DL option weren't to notice huge gains in roll-on highway passing power. The 100 should really open it up in an obvious way, across the SOC but mostly from 50-100%.

Interested in people's power comments.

Reactions: rns-e
What I'd be surprised about w/b if anyone upgrading with WK057's P100DL option weren't to notice huge gains in roll-on highway passing power. The 100 should really open it up in an obvious way, across the SOC but mostly from 50-100%.

How can you *not* notice the massive increase in power? I had my P85D+ upgraded to P100DL+ by wk057 and the difference is HUGE! On Monday I was on a two-lane back road and had to pass a truck in a very short passing lane, and Ludicrous mode made it possible (and fun) to go from 40 to 80 in a flash.

We've done quite a few upgrades (like Hank's above) over the years now. (Can check pricing and lead times for your S on the 057 upgrades page.) Any time you go from a smaller pack to a larger one, there's also an increase in power regardless of model (performance or not). Since the 100 has more cells in parallel than any other pack, this helps limit voltage sag across the entire SoC range vs the smaller packs.

The new 85/90 packs that are 350V are kind of sketchy to me, especially in performance variants, since the firmware paired with these allows the drive units to exceed their normal current limits in order to make up for a portion of the 12% power loss from the lower voltage... meaning more wear on those under high power situations.

The 100 pack is still the gold standard for performance in the pre-plaid Model S and X, although technically even more "motor HP" is left on the table even with a 100 pack. Outside of a Model S, we've pushed the same powertrain used in the P85D, minus the battery, up to over 1000 HP (~750 kW) with modifications and a higher power HV source.

How can you *not* notice the massive increase in power? I had my P85D+ upgraded to P100DL+ by wk057 and the difference is HUGE! On Monday I was on a two-lane back road and had to pass a truck in a very short passing lane, and Ludicrous mode made it possible (and fun) to go from 40 to 80 in a flash.
What kind of supercharging speeds are you seeing with the 100kw pack?
I was debating on taking my car to wk057 and decided not to due to no real answer on this, and got the 350v pack instead, and it's awesome compared to the old, so I'm happy. Performance loss for sure, but I don't care, not spending half my road trip supercharging is better

The 100 packs definitely supercharge better than anything below them, but the benefit depends on more than just the pack when it comes to upgrades, since some of the supercharger throttling is related to other components, such as the charge port. It'll also vary from pack to pack, so we try not to quote any specific improvement there.

To the best of my knowledge, Tesla hasn't nerfed the 100 kWh pack supercharging like they have with every older pack, so, it's the best bet for bumping supercharger speeds. The "new" 350V 85/90 packs have improved speeds because they're kind of just 87% of a 100 kWh pack, so can handle the same charge current but at ~13% less power than a 100 kWh pack due to the lower voltage.

Under the right conditions, I often see 130kW.. I think I've seen close to 150kW once or twice.
More importantly than peak charging is how long it holds the higher charging for. One time i charged the 350v pack it only peak charged at 120w, and it held 100w+ until 52% which was incredible. Doesn't do that on cold days, so I'm wondering how it'll be in the summer
It's winter and happened to be 75 degrees when I charged that one time, every other time it's been below 60 degrees and it goes under 100w at like 42%. The cooling fans never turned on when supercharging the new pack, not once yet.

More importantly than peak charging is how long it holds the higher charging for. One time i charged the 350v pack it only peak charged at 120w, and it held 100w+ until 52% which was incredible. Doesn't do that on cold days, so I'm wondering how it'll be in the summer
It's winter and happened to be 75 degrees when I charged that one time, every other time it's been below 60 degrees and it goes under 100w at like 42%. The cooling fans never turned on when supercharging the new pack, not once yet.

I ditto that.

You will 100% get a new 350V 90 kWh battery version C, just before your 8 year warranty is up

I got ****ed in europe... 1088934-01-E is the battery my P85D just got replaced with. So pissed. Same garbage refurbs they've been doing since 2020. Is there anything I can do to get this swapped for a real battery? If it's chargegated worse than my original battery or the range is lower? I have screenshots of charging and of ScanMyTesla outputs, etc. from.my battery before. If the nominal kwh is lower or charging speed capabilities worse, etc. can I complain and get a real replacement?

I have to sell this ****ing car if it's going to have a chargegated refurbed 85kwh pack that's basically guaranteed to die in a year or so.

Is there anything I can do to get this swapped for a real battery? If it's chargegated worse than my original battery or the range is lower?
If the reported range is lower than what your old battery had just before it failed, then yes you can complain, and Tesla would need to try again. (The warranty states that the replacement batteries, which can be refurbs, will have at least the same range as the failed battery had before it failed.)

or charging speed capabilities worse, etc. can I complain and get a real replacement?
There is no warranty on charging speed...

I have screenshots of charging and of ScanMyTesla outputs, etc. from.my battery before.
Tesla likely won't look at ScanMyTesla output. Your best bet is if you have a picture of the range displayed on the screen.

I will say that I have only seen a couple cases where a refurb'd pack has less capacity than the one it replaced. And Tesla did end up replacing them again.

I got ****ed in europe... 1088934-01-E is the battery my P85D just got replaced with. So pissed. Same garbage refurbs they've been doing since 2020. Is there anything I can do to get this swapped for a real battery? If it's chargegated worse than my original battery or the range is lower? I have screenshots of charging and of ScanMyTesla outputs, etc. from.my battery before. If the nominal kwh is lower or charging speed capabilities worse, etc. can I complain and get a real replacement?

I have to sell this ****ing car if it's going to have a chargegated refurbed 85kwh pack that's basically guaranteed to die in a year or so.

It's working though, which is good. What do you get when you start Supercharging with the charge level at 10 or 20%? Is it going up to 100 kW minimum (this should be pretty good for a 2015 P85D)? Does the place you got your main battery fixed at offer a warranty or at least a significant discount if it fails in a few more years? I am actually surprised that Tesla didn't replace the main battery, free of charge, since yours might still be under the 8 year, unlimited mile warranty through 2023. If the P90D was not yet available when you bought yours, I am almost certain that this warranty applies.

One other option would be to trade it in for another Tesla, either a new one or preowned with at least a few years left on the main battery warranty.

Last edited:
318848033_5450836148347541_5648975238282330308_n.jpg
318523906_5450836461680843_8955078432043084309_n.jpg

138 kW charging speed is not bad for the old girl

Last edited:
It's working though, which is good. What do you get when you start Supercharging with the charge level at 10 or 20%? Is it going up to 100 kW minimum (this should be pretty good for a 2015 P85D)? Does the place you got your main battery fixed at offer a warranty or at least a significant discount if it fails in a few more years? I am actually surprised that Tesla didn't replace the main battery, free of charge, since yours might still be under the 8 year, unlimited mile warranty through 2023. If the P90D was not yet available when you bought yours, I am almost certain that this warranty applies.

One other option would be to trade it in for another Tesla, either a new one or preowned with at least a few years left on the main battery warranty.

It was replaced by Tesla under warranty. Just lamenting getting a refurbed doomed-to-die and be chargegated old 85kwh pack instead of a new pack like everyone in the U.S. has been getting since at least June.