TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New 90D AP 2.5??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Keith909man, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Hello,
    I was looking for a Model S on cpo-ev.com when I notice brand new Model S' with a 90Dkw battery and AP 2.5 hardware... Is this right? how come there isn't a 90D option on Teslas website but theres a few inventory ones you can get ahold of??

2. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Yes, the new 90Ds rolling off the line right now have AP2.5. Tesla stopped taking new custom 90D orders a few months back. But we've surmised they had a number of extra 90 packs after finishing the custom orders so they are adding a few to new inventory. IMHO, they are a great deal. They are literally rolling off the lines this week with $7,500 discounts, in addition to the $7,500 federal tax credit and $1,000 referral credit/free supercharging. Get them while you can! ;)

• Like x 2
  3. yugsy

yugsy Member

They've been building a bunch of them for the last week. Identical to 75Ds but cost 5.5k more. Which seems fair, given the only benefit is 35 miles more range, and a nicer badge. I bought one, and should be picking it up later this week.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. kaypay

kaypay Member

I suspect they had some 90 kWh packs they wanted to get rid of, hence the "Limited Supply of 90 kWh" line on the listing page.

Not a bad deal if you want a bigger battery.

Attached Files:

5. Nda721

Nda721 Member

Unfortunately, they have no upgraded options

6. jareade

This is mostly correct. A few do have PUP and I even saw one with PUP and 21" turbines! Most are black, a few are blue and then there are even fewer midnight silver. In addition, I just saw my first white one.

A few of the black have the multi-pattern seats and are otherwise base level cars. The rest of the black have black vegan leather interiors. The blues mostly have ultra white vegan leather interiors. The midnight silvers are mostly black vegan leather. The white one I saw was white/white. So we are getting some variety. But we also don't know when they will stop rolling of the line. I'd anticipate there won't be too many more built, but I also didn't expect any of these to be built!

I think they are pretty good deals that won't last long. And the best news is that they are at the factory, which means they will ship for free! So no $2,000 transportation fee, as if they were new inventory sitting at a local store or service center.

• Informative x 1
  7. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

Is the 90D unlockable to 100?

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I think they are a great deal as long as you know the pros and cons of the 90 pack vs the 100.

9. Nda721

Nda721 Member

which are??

10. boaterva

You need to search, seriously. Bjorn has documented some, recent caps seem to have been removed. There may be others. I'm really not trying to spread FUD, but the 90s are different from the 100s for a reason. On mobile or I'd see what I could find for you.

Just don't want anyone thinking they are identical to a 100 less 10 and vice versa.

11. jareade

No, not to our knowledge. Pretty sure they are the remaining, already built 90 packs.

12. boaterva

Yeah, there has never been a software 90 that anyone knows about. Since these don't exist as a new order item, the only reasonable explanation is extra pack inventory they need to dispose of. Bonus is an extra discount for you!

13. yugsy

yugsy Member

I assume you are referring to the reported 81.8 KWH vs 98.4 KWH usable capacity between these two packs. Which is a big gap, and yet the EPA range rating is 294 vs 335 miles, i.e. the 90D is 88% that of the 100D. Maybe there are some other minor benefits such as the supercharging curve, but there's also a weight gain. Or is there some other gotcha?

• Informative x 1
  14. boaterva

No, capacity levels are well known and the deviation from 'label'. One point is charging level/acceptance. See Bjorn's videos for some details. And it may not apply to brand new 90s.

Let me see if I can dig up something. I definitely recall when the 100s came out they were 'better' than larger 90s.

15. boaterva

Found this thread about the 100s which has some interesting details. May tell people enough so they are informed. Nothing really negative about the 90s but does say what's improved in the 100s:

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

16. boaterva

And here's a comparison Bjorn did which is probably what I was thinking of. If you are aware of this and the capacity difference (from the label) and the discount makes it up for you, full speed ahead! :D

17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It's possible but I would assume that they are just finishing the last of the "real" 90Ds that were already planned in the production system.

• Like x 1
  18. yugsy

yugsy Member

A recent delivery of a S90D had the same battery pack as they were using on S90Ds for the last couple of years, so pretty sure its not going have any hidden bonus.

• Helpful x 1
  19. kaypay

kaypay Member

Assuming the 100Ds get a performance bump ("uncork") in a few weeks once the new quarter starts, I wonder if these 90Ds will get uncorked as well...

20. robpickering

robpickering Member

Too late.

As of 08:33 pm PST on Sunday 09/10/17, there are no Model S vehicles in New Inventory on the site, any battery pack size.