Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D Feels Loose Above 75MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new 90D last week and love it so far. Most of my driving is on normal roads, but I've had to take it on the expressway twice so far and noticed that the car feels very loose above 75MPH. I haven't taken it over 80MPH, but the best way to describe it is that it feels like I am driving headfirst into a strong storm and have to fight a little to keep it in it's lane (even with no wind at all). I checked the tires and they are all at 45PSI and the car feels normal at speeds under 75. I live in MI so I'd like to avoid a service call if possible. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like an alignment or a wheel balance issue. I periodically hit 75 or 80mph in traffic each day (for limited stretches of the freeway) and I don't ever recall ever feeling a different sensation from the wheel. Now I do have the steering wheel set to to the heaviest weight so perhaps that is masking something.

The car should feel as stable at 80 as it does at 40. I have had this discussion with my Mercedes colleagues, who swear up & down that factory alignment is perfect, and I expect that Tesla uses similar alignment equipment at its plant. But still, sometimes alignment goes out of whack sometime later - hard to pinpoint where; this leads to handling problems and abnormal tire wear. Maybe something moves a little bit during shipping or initial driving (track test at factory?)- maybe something settles as a stress built into the system wears in. Anyway, if it was me, I would have this checked.

have to fight a little to keep it in it's lane (even with no wind at all). I checked the tires and they are all at 45PSI and the car feels normal at speeds under 75.

If you're coming out of a car that didn't have tires as wide as 245mm, you might not have experienced how some of the roads you travel have gullies. Camber can makes this a lot worse, but simply using wider tires can make a car feel like it steers itself, somewhat.

Give it a few more weeks. My P85D felt unstable at highway speeds particularly changing lanes quickly when I first took delivery. I don't notice it anymore (now with 5k miles) and think it has to do with new tires breaking in. I have the Contisilent tires 245/35/21 all around. What do you have and how many miles on them?

I took it on a different expressway and it felt fine, so now I'm wondering if it was just the road I was on. I will have to do a bit more testing before I commit to a service call. I did forget about the steering though, and changed that to Sport from Standard and it definitely feels better in normal driving.