Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D ordered, old AP HW. Am I wise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just traded my 1 year-old S70D with a brand new S90D, and deliberately choosen not to have the new HW for AP.

From what I have learned at Tesla Shop, it will take months for new AP to have same "basic" functionalities I had in my 70D, and years to have regulations and software in place for full autonomy.

I am sure that in 1 year from now I will be posting here about my new Model S with now full hardware for full autonomy

Am I wise or just caught in the Tesla Trap of continous need of upgrading?

I have just traded my 1 year-old S70D with a brand new S90D, and deliberately choosen not to have the new HW for AP.

From what I have learned at Tesla Shop, it will take months for new AP to have same "basic" functionalities I had in my 70D, and years to have regulations and software in place for full autonomy.

I am sure that in 1 year from now I will be posting here about my new Model S with now full hardware for full autonomy

Am I wise or just caught in the Tesla Trap of continous need of upgrading?

So you are buying an inventory car with old hardware? Otherwise you don't really have a choice. You get the new hardware.

The new AP2 cars that have been delivered have zero AP functionality. None, zip, nada until Tesla pushes out via software update. Also, the cruise control is disabled at the moment.

AP1 is no slouch so go out and enjoy your new car. Remember, there's nothing on the road that comes close to the capabilities of AP1.

Reactions: JClu
So you are buying an inventory car with old hardware? Otherwise you don't really have a choice. You get the new hardware.
Yes, this was a car I picked from a pool of new cars already in transit to Norway, and fits exactly all specs I wanted

I just need to hear from you a confirmation that I did not do a stupid thing in ordering an obsolete HW deliberately :)

Yeah sorry mate, I'm thinking your missing out.

AP2 will be on par with AP1 in just a couple weeks and I'm betting that FSDC will be enabled by February.

I'm basing this opinion on what we have seen so far. The latest video is after just one month of training.

First video
Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas

latest video
Full Self-Driving Demonstration (Short)

Elon responding that this is after one month training
Twitter

Mm not sure, according to Tesla guys in Norway, AP2 will need months to reach all AP1 functionalities and years to get regulations and training of SW for full autonomy...

In any case, I really hope you are right, for me that only means I will buying the 3rd Model S only in a few months from now, they do not depreciate fast so really not a big deal

Comments!

I understand that there is no concept of discount at Tesla, but they valued high my "old" 70D, that at the end of the day works at the same way

Still on the wise side

The trade-in difference between an AP1 and an AP0 car is pretty significant in the US, far more than the difference in purchase price. If that is true for AP2 vs AP1 then you really should get an AP2 car now.

Yeah sorry mate, I'm thinking your missing out.

AP2 will be on par with AP1 in just a couple weeks and I'm betting that FSDC will be enabled by February.

I'm basing this opinion on what we have seen so far. The latest video is after just one month of training.

First video
Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Teslas

latest video
Full Self-Driving Demonstration (Short)

Elon responding that this is after one month training
Twitter

I don't see FSDC by Feb.- we are entering a whole new ballgame with regards to legislation/regulation and liability. I would love it if you were right but I would bet a "hill of Benny's" (if you get the pun) it won't be happening that soon.

For me, it would come down to 2 things:

- your time horizon: it will take a couple of years to get 2.0 up and running and until then, no/spotty 1.0 features. Are you ok with that? Anyone believing that the the 2.0 software will be up and running at 100% before that are dreamers imho.
- value: I agree that in terms of resale value, not going with 2.0 may have a negative impact. What kind of discount did you get on your inv car if you don't mind my asking?

I am biased though because I picked up a massively discounted inv car with AP1.0 at the end of Q3 using the logic above...

As somebody who is ready to buy, the ONLY way I would consider AP 1.0 is if they offered at least a 20k deduction Even then, not sure I could take the old tech. You are talking about a boatload of money for tech that is seriously outdated. Tesla buyers are buying the tech.....right? I can't believe they are still asking full price for AP 1.0 cars at this point

My number is 15K for AP1. I have AP2 on order, but if I see an inventory AP1 where I can get 15K discount + 7.5K tax credit, I will very seriously consider it. At that point, I think I can justify then trading in AP1 when AP3 comes along.

I understand that there is no concept of discount at Tesla, but they valued high my "old" 70D, that at the end of the day works at the same way

If they overvalued your old car, then that's the same thing. I'd be curious on the details for that. But there is most certainly something like a consideration for picking a car out of the inventory pool. Especially a car with APv1 hardware. The average price reduction should be about 1.5% for a brand new one like your car.

Guys, thanks for your comments

As stated before, there is no discount for new/inventory cars in Norway, this is stated to be Tesla not negotiable policy, I would be glad to hear from you about the contrary, reading of discounts of 15/20k to me is a no sense and completely detached from my experience.

Having said that, I cannot accept the idea of having a AP2 car that for months (Tesla said at least 1 year) will have downgraded functionalities (not even adaptive cruise control!) from what I have solidly with AP1 now. When we bought AP1 cars with no sw ready yet, all AP0 functionalities were working, and this should be the course of events!

On top of that, buying in 2016 ensures free supercharging option (and more valued car in 1 year) and no VAT conditions (might change in 2017), so no-sense to postpone purchase to next year either...my choice was really no brainer, although I fully understand that skipping a new HW release is freeking counterintuitive.

On the other side, I feel bad as I will not contribute to the training of new AI of AP2 systems, and get on board next year with an already trained system ready to drive on my behalf

Thanks for nice conversation guys!

If Tesla does not turn on the enhanced AP2 by Dec 2016 or max by Jan 2017, a lot of people will be pretty mad. Full self driving is a separate option which is expected to be turned on Dec 2017, but Elon has said he can't give a firm date due to state regulations. I haven't paid for FSD at this time, so I don't care about that right now.

Discount on Inventory cars is based on (usually) when it was manufactured and how many miles it has on it. If it is a few months old and has few hundred to thousand miles, so will see a discount of few thousand dollars (at least here in the US). You can get greater discount for older, non facelift cars. The 10K+ discounts (AFAIK) happened only in Sep 2016 as a result of a fire sale, but are not expected again (but no one knows for sure).

Enjoy your car - I don't think you can make a wrong choice here :)

Most of us posting on your thread have a US perspective. We lived through the large Q3 discounts. For example, I bought my new inventory 90D with 108 miles for $13,500 below the build price, $14,500 counting referral. The P90D was discounted 25% for some lucky owners. Elon has put a stop to that, at least until they find they can't unload their inventory AP1 cars.

We also don't see great trade-in values. I traded in my S85 for 55% of MSRP after 26 months. If I had an AP1 car I would have gotten 65%.

For the US, Tesla has said AP2 will be available in December at the AP1 level, so only a month away. I don't know why AP1 functionality would be delayed in Norway. Maybe your sales people are more conservative, or just skeptical of Elon Musk's promises :rolleyes:.

Reactions: number12