Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D ordered, old AP HW. Am I wise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As stated before, there is no discount for new/inventory cars in Norway, this is stated to be Tesla not negotiable policy, I would be glad to hear from you about the contrary, reading of discounts of 15/20k to me is a no sense and completely detached from my experience.
That's simply not true anymore, but of course Tesla has an interest to keep this mythos alive. Maybe to some extent still true for new customer orders, but certainly not on Inventory cars.

Last quarter Tesla heavily discounted pre-facelift P90Ds
Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease
(AP1 could be used as a similar excuse as the facelift to discount those cars and claiming that they are technically not discounting brand new cars)

They also waived stuff like delivery and destination fees.

Here is also an example of Tesla heavily discounting a Inventory car compared to a new order. Identical car with no miles. Elon made a statement that this was an exception, but it seemed like a lot of people got these deals. Maybe that won't happen again in Q4, but who knows.
Demand

And currently someone in the Germany Forum apparently also managed to negotiate a free set of winter if he takes delivery of his X90D with AP1 instead of cancelling it. So there is certainly no zero negotiations policy in place.
Hat noch jemand interesse an einem Model X90 D mit AP1 • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

Having said that, I cannot accept the idea of having a AP2 car that for months (Tesla said at least 1 year) will have downgraded functionalities (not even adaptive cruise control!) from what I have solidly with AP1 now. When we bought AP1 cars with no sw ready yet, all AP0 functionalities were working, and this should be the course of events!
Who exactly said this? The website states December (+approval, but I don't see how that would take a year). Sounds like sales people overstating this to get people to buy AP1 cars. Anyone else got any estimates?

On top of that, buying in 2016 ensures free supercharging option (and more valued car in 1 year) and no VAT conditions (might change in 2017), so no-sense to postpone purchase to next year either...my choice was really no brainer, although I fully understand that skipping a new HW release is freeking counterintuitive.
Are you sure VAT could change? I read that Norway just recently extended this. That would of course be a valid reason, to take delivery this year otherwise any new order now and taking delivery before April next you would still give you unlimited Supercharging
Also there are 90D Inventory cars with AP2 hardware available in Norway, so you could get AP2, unlimited SC and be sure to get the right VAT conditions (e.g. Model S 90D 5YJSA7E26GF162655 | Tesla Norge from https://ev-cpo.com/)

And speaking of ev-cpo there are more than 500 AP1 cars (probably a lot more not listed) in Europe that I would expect that Tesla wants to sell in Q4.. I don't see those cars selling without Tesla offering any kind of incentive, when most people can still just get a new order with AP2 hardware and even secure unlimited supercharging by taking delivery in time.

Reactions: Footer and Troy
@justg0 do you have a source for your statement regarding FSD in December 2017?

To the best of my knowledge Elon had only said they expect to be able to drive coast to coast without even touching a charger but that in no way means it won't be enabled sooner only that going coast to coast won't happen till the end of the year.

My understanding is they expect to release major updates every 2-3 months.

My DS has advised they are ahead of schedule on the software and will enable FSDC sooner than we think.

Seeing how far they have come in a month im betting that they start to enable some portions of FSD in February.

@justg0 do you have a source for your statement regarding FSD in December 2017?

To the best of my knowledge Elon had only said they expect to be able to drive coast to coast without even touching a charger but that in no way means it won't be enabled sooner only that going coast to coast won't happen till the end of the year.

My understanding is they expect to release major updates every 2-3 months.

My DS has advised they are ahead of schedule on the software and will enable FSDC sooner than we think.

Seeing how far they have come in a month im betting that they start to enable some portions of FSD in February.

Based on this article, where Elon Musk says the goal is to have full autonomous driving by end of next year: Tesla Expects to Demonstrate Self-Driven Cross-Country Trip Next Year

Technically, they may be able to do some things sooner, but I am still concerned about all the regulations that they would need from various states and how long that will take.

Definitely get AP2. Do not get AP1 Hardware.

Despite the slight delay for AP2 EAP Software, it will definitely be worth it. Considering the few Self Driving videos that have already been released, I have no doubt that EAP Software on AP2 will be out by December/January as Elon advised.

Based on this article, where Elon Musk says the goal is to have full autonomous driving by end of next year: Tesla Expects to Demonstrate Self-Driven Cross-Country Trip Next Year

Technically, they may be able to do some things sooner, but I am still concerned about all the regulations that they would need from various states and how long that will take.

Yeah that is just referring to the same statement I mentioned that Elon wants to demonstrate coast to coast FSDC by the end of next year.

I think your confusing that to mean that FSDC won't be released until they can demonstrate coast to coast driving.

They have already demonstrated FSDC in two videos. There is no doubt that it is already here and the regulations to enable most of it are already on the books in many cases how else would AP1 be legal.

The regulations I believe we are waiting for are the ones regarding the car driving itself without a driver in the seat.

I believe they will enable at least what they have demonstrated in the 2 recent videos very soon.

As somebody who is ready to buy, the ONLY way I would consider AP 1.0 is if they offered at least a 20k deduction Even then, not sure I could take the old tech. You are talking about a boatload of money for tech that is seriously outdated. Tesla buyers are buying the tech.....right? I can't believe they are still asking full price for AP 1.0 cars at this point

Wow, you must really see a ton of value,in AP2.0. I simply don't because I strongly think FSDC will be literally a few years away at least given the sheer amount of validation needed to go from what we have now to that point and the government agencies that will be reviewing this will be very leery of just greenlighting something that could kill people and do a lot of property damage.

AP 2.0 will remain the past for months, and for months you will call AP 1.0 the future. Yes seriously.

As soon AP 2.0 will be the present, I will be the first to trade in my AP 1.0 (to whom does not care about AP) and get my new Model S (the THIRD ONE!)

AP 2.0 is the future AP 1.0 is the past. Do you really see value in 1.0? Seriously?

Yes I absolutely do. Ap2.0 cars don't even have cruise control right now. Literally there are cars that have been out longer than most here have been alive that have it and it's available on pretty much every car sold in the US now as standard or optional. Even when EAP is switched on, will these cars really offer much more than AP1.0 cars do currently? There are claims but it remains to be seen how legitimate those claims are. It's doubtful the improvements if any will justify the cost until FSDC is a reality. I could be wrong on that one but it's literally just speculation either way at this point. FSDC is still WAY down the road. I think the model 3 will be a common sight on US roads before FSDC is a reality and I have real doubts the actual current hardware for these AP2.0 cars will be allowed to be used as a full self driving vehicle on public roads. Love to be wrong but I really think the agencies that control this are going to shoot down this hardware as being capable enough with the redundancy required. We are talking life or death and FSDC is a higher bar by far than what AP1.0 required in terms of regulatory approval.

Tesla has already released an update that enables classic CC. But TACC is still another ~3 weeks away.

Really? Is there an existing thread tracking these updates? Seems like it would be a great resource.

I am with those here who believe things will take longer than anticipated..."demonstrating" is one thing, flipping the "live" switch on for real, day-to-day usage is another thing altogether. But what do I know, I have been wrong before.

I don't know of a thread tracking AP2 feature releases...

I'm not saying that FSDC will be available in ~3 weeks, but AP 1.0 level functionality will start to be introduced again soon. Probably starting with basic Summon and TACC, and then adding Autosteer, before moving on to Advanced Summon and Autosteer+, etc.

I think it will be 2018 before we see FSDC, but I think EAP will arrive much sooner and a be big improvement over AP1.

Reactions: wesley888
We are all in agreement that when FSDC will be a solid reality, of course AP2 will be very much worth a further change of car.
And I took that into account when choosing deliberately AP1. So please park that discussion for now.

If we go back to my original topic, I believe now all is up to the following question>>>

Which are the new AP2 functionalities vs. AP1 that I would regret not having in the coming few months?
At the moment, you told me only what AP2 will NOT have...