Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Advice on buying a Used Long Range RWD Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Standard Range M3 w Autopilot, 2019, with about 5000 miles on it. I would like to get more range.

I have a deposit down on a 2018 RWD Long Range Model 3 with 23,000 miles and it has FSD.

The 2018 VIN is in the 40k range and the 2019 in in the 400k range.

Carvanna offered me the same price for my current car as the 2018 one from Tesla. Condition is the same.

Should I be concerned about a 2018 with higher miles and a year older (less warranty)?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Be absolutely sure you will get the FSD with the car. I've got a 2018 LR RWD. LOVE IT!!! You will like the extra range. Personally, I like RWD because for the first time in years I don't have to worry about my CV boots breaking and having to replace axles every year or so. Also, with the weight distribution of the battery, you won't get the fishtailing like in ICE RWD cars.

Be absolutely sure you will get the FSD with the car. I've got a 2018 LR RWD. LOVE IT!!! You will like the extra range. Personally, I like RWD because for the first time in years I don't have to worry about my CV boots breaking and having to replace axles every year or so. Also, with the weight distribution of the battery, you won't get the fishtailing like in ICE RWD cars.
Hey, I notice we have the same car and user name. But I’ve got the license plate! :)

Thank you for the advice. Carvanna offered me $37,874 For my current car, which was much higher than Tesla. I paid $39,100 in June 2019 (Blue, Sport Wheels plus doc fee) and then added autopilot later for $3000. With the $3750 tax credit looks like I am breaking even on the car after 14 months of ownership. The 2018 Long Range RWD w FSD from Tesla is coincidentally $39,100 w no doc fee.

This thread just convinced me to cancel my Model Y order that would have replaced my Model 3 LR RWD. I love my Model 3 but would have liked the extra space and more upright seating position of the Y. Tesla was offering me $34,600 trade-in on my 48,000 mile Model 3, but the Y without FSD would have set me back about $18,000 after trade-in. So I would have been getting a car with less capability (no FSD and probably less range) and paying $18,000 (after taxes, delivery, etc) besides. The economics of electric cars only make sense if you keep them for quite a while. I still see a Model Y in my future, but probably not for another 2 years or so. I had been thinking about cancelling the order for the past week or two - this thread helped my thinking on the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilikestuff

Attachments

• 20190504_101721.jpg
    20190504_101721.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: RedModel3