Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New air suspension controls = bad functionality

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
You have to tap the blue "Keep until xxxmph" button next to the height you select, after raising the suspension. Otherwise it drops ASAP.
So I did a bit more experimentation after re-reading this post. It would appear the 'max' speed for each height is an opt-in like you said above (well it seems to work that way most of the time). My question is what goose thought that would actually work in the real world?
Talk about take your eyes off the road more than needed just so you can press some little text that says 'Keep", are they kidding?
That still doesn't explain the car park incident where it refused to raise when the car was stationary.
Or to take the line of Steve Jobs, am I holding it wrong? ;)

Reactions: kskog

BigNick

Disaffected Member
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Mine says nothing about keeping until XX mph but instead "Always auto-raise at this location" - is this something newer than 2020.36.11 where the MPH option is displayed?

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
Mine says nothing about keeping until XX mph but instead "Always auto-raise at this location" - is this something newer than 2020.36.11 where the MPH option is displayed?

It is a recent change. I thought it was in/before 2020.36 but I guess not. Do you have your update preferences set to Standard or Advanced? You should be on .40 or .44 now or soon.

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Advanced, but I have a 2015 MCU1 car and haven't had any updates since 2020.36.11.

Updates set on Standard, notifications set to off. I reject every update on my car, 2015 MCU1. Running 2020.4.1 with 15 others on Teslafi.

I won't let them break my car with updates until they replace the MCU1.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
This has been their go-to solution for a lot of the axle/shudder issues (although there were still challenges with the front axles when the front end lifts up on a hard launch.)
There is a far better solution to what they have implemented in this update.
If the problem was people launching hard with the suspension set to Very High then they can simply torque limit the power when the suspension is set to there, simple fix and no need to turn the suspension controls into the mess they are now in trying to stop that happening.

Reactions: aerodyne

animorph

Apr 1, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Another work around would be to tag the GPS location of all the troublesome speed bumps. That should raise the suspension when approaching each speedbump, even if it has lowered after the previous speedbump.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Another work around would be to tag the GPS location of all the troublesome speed bumps.
Doesn't work too well in underground car parks though :(

But back to the introduced problem with this update, I have plenty of GPS tagged locations of my local area already that had been working just fine. One particular residential street has 4 'big' speed bumps, the car correctly raises to Very High at the first one and previously stayed there for all the humps, whereas now it drops back to Standard (eg Scrape) for each one after that. It is crazy that I now have to stay below 15 MPH in a 30 MPH street just so the suspension does what I want. I'm not saying I did 30 MPH approaching the speed bump but when I did reach it I knew it was at Very High at least, now it goes from Very High straight to Standard at 16 MPH.

So the Tesla solution is 'Keep' option must be pressed every time, it doesn't remember! Personally I'd rather be looking at the road ahead than fumbling for the small 'Keep' text each time the car decides it must drop for no reason.

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Doesn't work too well in underground car parks though :(

But back to the introduced problem with this update, I have plenty of GPS tagged locations of my local area already that had been working just fine. One particular residential street has 4 'big' speed bumps, the car correctly raises to Very High at the first one and previously stayed there for all the humps, whereas now it drops back to Standard (eg Scrape) for each one after that. It is crazy that I now have to stay below 15 MPH in a 30 MPH street just so the suspension does what I want. I'm not saying I did 30 MPH approaching the speed bump but when I did reach it I knew it was at Very High at least, now it goes from Very High straight to Standard at 16 MPH.

So the Tesla solution is 'Keep' option must be pressed every time, it doesn't remember! Personally I'd rather be looking at the road ahead than fumbling for the small 'Keep' text each time the car decides it must drop for no reason.

Maybe a voice command in the future?

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC