Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new all season tire on RWD Tesla Model 3 vs 4/32" all season tire on Audi Quattro for long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla People,

I'm planning on a trip this winter holidays last week of December, up the CA coast from SF Bay Area to Northern OR and back. The return trip should be via I5, however if there is snow on I5 I will avoid it and take the coastal route via Highway 101 back to Bay Area(the same route I took while going north). Based on the route, I don't expect to encounter snow(based on my quick research) and if there is snow I can avoid it as I described above, but there will be rain.

Now, I have brand new all season tires on my RWD Tesla Model 3 while I have all season tires which are at 4/32" on my Audi Quattro.

Which car should be better to take on this trip from a grip and control basis on slick roads(from rain primarily)?

Thank you.

Roundtrip miles will be @1300 miles. +200 odd miles traveling locally at destination.

Never did a "LONG" trip with the Tesla. So, wanted to do that. I understand it will be more hassle as compared to the Audi in terms of more frequent stopping for charging and possibly reduced range due to winter temp. However, had bought a long range so that I can do some trips and hence didn't buy a commuter EV. Also the Tesla is more sporty(road imperfections will be felt more)

Maybe we will or will not like it as much. Will have to figure out what the experience is like after trying it once :) .

If you have L2 charging at your destination, it'll be alright, otherwise it can be more trouble than it's worth if you need to rely on a nearby (or not so nearby) supercharger.

Word of warning though, looks like half of the superchargers in northern Oregon are 150kw, and if you ever have to share with another Tesla they drop down to half that. It can get a bit tedious at the sharing speed, especially when it's cold out. If you could take I5, there are lots of 250kw.

Overall, a very doable trip, depending on exactly where you're going, it can be absolutely painless or it could add a lot of hassle and wasted time.

If you have L2 charging at your destination, it'll be alright, otherwise it can be more trouble than it's worth if you need to rely on a nearby (or not so nearby) supercharger.

Word of warning though, looks like half of the superchargers in northern Oregon are 150kw, and if you ever have to share with another Tesla they drop down to half that. It can get a bit tedious at the sharing speed, especially when it's cold out. If you could take I5, there are lots of 250kw.

Overall, a very doable trip, depending on exactly where you're going, it can be absolutely painless or it could add a lot of hassle and wasted time.
At both the hotels we're staying at there is a 150KW Tesla supercharger at @1 mile.

Yes, while going towards destination except Ukiah CA, all Tesla superchargers seem to be 150KW.

On return trip if I5 is doable, it seems most are 250KW.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
I always opt for the best tires. AWD can help you get going but doesn’t do anything to help you stop. I don’t mind getting 75kw at a shared station as long as it is a planned lunch stop. My problem with the 250kw stations is 20 minutes is not enough time for me to go and eat somewhere. Don’t get me wrong, they are great for going 1000 miles from Portland to LA. For a 300-400 mile trip it is not a huge deal in my experience. Take the Tesla and enjoy the drive

Reactions: niray9 and XPsionic
At both the hotels we're staying at there is a 150KW Tesla supercharger at @1 mile.

Yes, while going towards destination except Ukiah CA, all Tesla superchargers seem to be 150KW.

On return trip if I5 is doable, it seems most are 250KW.
ah ok. One tip is that the car will charge faster while batteries are warm. So for example, you could either charge faster in the evening before you check into the hotel, or you could wait until the morning, go charge and have breakfast or something nearby and wait like half an hour or so for it to top up.

Either way, if the superchargers are that nearby, it should make for a pretty straight forward trip. Take the Tesla and see how you like it.

Reactions: niray9
Use A Better Route Planner (or just the Tesla screen and your phone) to figure out what is near the chargers. In order to maximize enjoyment, I would then find chargers next to stops that justify lingering. Specifically, charge 20-30 minutes at chargers next to food or shopping, allowing you to charge for less time when the only thing at the charger is a hotel restroom.

Reactions: XPsionic and niray9
I have the 2018 long range RWD with 19" wheels.

When I go to Tesla trip planner, I see 3 options
  1. M3 P - 315miles
  2. M3 RWD -272 miles
  3. M3 AWD - 358 miles
Should I choose #1 M3-P 315 miles from above, because that's the one which is closest in terms of range?

You should forget about the Tesla planner and use a better route planner!

Way more accurate and many more options to tweak to suit your needs.

1. Any strategies for saving energy when driving in Cold weather ?(various sections will be cold depending on area and time of the day)
  2. What settings to keep so that the windshield and windows are clear of condensation when it's relatively warm inside and cold outside, so that I do not need to frequently "defrost"/clear the front windshield using provided the dedicated buttons? (I seem to have this problem of frequently needing to turn on the "defrost" button during my short trips in cold weather)

1. Any strategies for saving energy when driving in Cold weather ?(various sections will be cold depending on area and time of the day)
  2. What settings to keep so that the windshield and windows are clear of condensation when it's relatively warm inside and cold outside, so that I do not need to frequently "defrost"/clear the front windshield using provided the dedicated buttons? (I seem to have this problem of frequently needing to turn on the "defrost" button during my short trips in cold weather)
In terms of using less energy per mile, the priority is probably something like this:
1. Slow down on the highway
2. ensure tires pressures are as specified (especially easy to under inflate when weather's cold)
3. pre-condition the car while plugged in before setting off
4. lower interior temperature
5. turning off heat all together if you want to drive a cold $50000 car
6. turning off heated seats if you want to freeze inside your $50000 car

I'd say, don't bother doing anything to the climate or heated seats unless you literally cannot make it to the next Supercharger and cannot slow down on the highway.

And to keep the windows clear, ensure AC is turned on, leave climate on auto, and if they still fog up, make sure recirc is off, and increase fan speed a little.

In terms of using less energy per mile, the priority is probably something like this:
1. Slow down on the highway
2. ensure tires pressures are as specified (especially easy to under inflate when weather's cold)
3. pre-condition the car while plugged in before setting off

I'd say, don't bother doing anything to the climate or heated seats unless you literally cannot make it to the next Supercharger and cannot slow down on the highway.

And to keep the windows clear, ensure AC is turned on, leave climate on auto, and if they still fog up, make sure recirc is off, and increase fan speed a little.
As you said I'll skip #5 and #6 as it's probably not doable for us.

There are enough Superchargers on route, so should be ok.

Reactions: XPsionic
Using the heated seats has trivial energy cost compared to using the cabin heat. I.e. don't bother with #6 at all.

#4 and #5 can be possibilities if you will be dressed warmly (for stops when you get out of the car), since you may prefer a lower interior cabin temperature to be comfortable when dressed warmly.