Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New and future owners, need your input!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I've had my Model S for almost 3 years and just passed 100k miles. I'm in the process of making a YouTube video about my experience and how the car held up. It's mainly aimed at people who are interested in buying a Tesla but want to find more info, especially reliability and long term experience.

What are your top concerns?
What do you have doubts about?
What kind of questions should I try to address in the video?

I've had my Model S for almost 3 years and just passed 100k miles. I'm in the process of making a YouTube video about my experience and how the car held up. It's mainly aimed at people who are interested in buying a Tesla but want to find more info, especially reliability and long term experience.

Perfect time for my first post- you couldn't have set me up any better. . . I am at end of 7 day waiting period and CANNOT WAIT, to get my S 90D in March. For background (since I'm literally a newbie as of today)- I am currently the owner of a Black on Black '99 Lexus GS 400, which has served me well and in the next week will eclipse 200K miles. .. I have a colleague who has a Tesla and I've been planning on pulling the trigger this March for two years, as I wanted to get through the Chicago winter with the Lexus. Aside from having a car payment for the first time in 10 years, here are my concerns:

Here's spec as of today: Obsidian Black, Tan interior, ash trim; 21" cyclones (silver); sunroof, air suspension, upgraded finishes and ultra high fidelity sound. . . Basically everything except self driving (for now), higher amperage charger and extra seats.

1. Lease or Own- Not worried about mileage as I travel for work so only a couple commutes per week and then drives around town. Still have time to decide, and I suppose this is very subjective, but I could buy down the monthly payment with a bit of an increased down payment. . . Looks like monthly payments are about equal. So, what's the preferred approach? What were your decision criteria for lease vs. own? 7500 credit gets wrapped into Lease vs. waiting til next year on purchase. I fully expect to either a) want another EV (TEsla or otherwise) or b) pull trigger on the residual for 90d in three years and buy out.
  2. 19 or 21 inch wheels- any thoughts here?
  3. Fit and Finish. I keep reading that leather and trim is not luxurious enough, but does it wear well? Given I have worn in leather in the Lexus (kind of like your dad's old leather recliner), I just want to be sure it holds up.
  4. Follow up question- how supportive is Tesla of cosmetic repairs etc?
  5. I'm an android guy (for now) and it appears as though several Android owners have had issues. Should I switch to apple just for ease of use? My wife and 8 kids are all apple already anyway and I have an IPad. . .easy switch if so.
  6. Impact of Loaded 3s on future market value of used S that is not a P XXXD
  7. Air Suspension- pros and cons? Anyone think this is unnecessary? I am getting 21 inch silver cyclones
  8. Protection of the paint- Lots of threads on clear bras etc. What do I really need? If I buy, I'm definitely interested in enhanced finish protection
  9. No spare- how is this a good thing?
  10. Frunk- I understand it's always mechanical, and have seen mixed reviews. . . Do hoods and front ends get scratched?
  11. Color Combo- Going with obsidian vs. regular black sight unseen. Tan interior and ash trim (with upgrade). Want to be somewhat unique but don't want to cross the line too much, so I'm suppressing my temptation to get the Gray cyclones. . .
  12. Most important question: What am I not thinking about that I really should be thinking about?
Thanks for breaking me in. . . Mark

Reactions: David99
Those are all excellent questions! I will try to answer them in the video showing examples. The front trunk is actually a good point. I have the 'old' version that has a pretty large size front trunk and I use it a lot. There is a special method to close it and Tesla tells you. But no matter what, over time the hood does get a little bent and you can see it. I find the front trunk super useful, but these days all S and X have a much smaller less useful frunk.

I think we want to know about what broke during your ownership (any flat tires to deal with?) and how Tesla handled it. Any disappointments with any aspect and how you would change things (hood sounds like a start-I had no idea!) . Were any promises made by marketing that you felt let down by ?

1. No spare or jack.
2. Updates for hw2 anxiety
3. Model S long term value post 3

If this forum doesn't frown on it, why not put the link to your YouTube channel in your signature.

That way it will show up on all of your posts!

Perfect time for my first post- you couldn't have set me up any better. . . I am at end of 7 day waiting period and CANNOT WAIT, to get my S 90D in March. For background (since I'm literally a newbie as of today)- I am currently the owner of a Black on Black '99 Lexus GS 400, which has served me well and in the next week will eclipse 200K miles. .. I have a colleague who has a Tesla and I've been planning on pulling the trigger this March for two years, as I wanted to get through the Chicago winter with the Lexus. Aside from having a car payment for the first time in 10 years, here are my concerns:

Here's spec as of today: Obsidian Black, Tan interior, ash trim; 21" cyclones (silver); sunroof, air suspension, upgraded finishes and ultra high fidelity sound. . . Basically everything except self driving (for now), higher amperage charger and extra seats.

1. Lease or Own- Not worried about mileage as I travel for work so only a couple commutes per week and then drives around town. Still have time to decide, and I suppose this is very subjective, but I could buy down the monthly payment with a bit of an increased down payment. . . Looks like monthly payments are about equal. So, what's the preferred approach? What were your decision criteria for lease vs. own? 7500 credit gets wrapped into Lease vs. waiting til next year on purchase. I fully expect to either a) want another EV (TEsla or otherwise) or b) pull trigger on the residual for 90d in three years and buy out.
  2. 19 or 21 inch wheels- any thoughts here?
  3. Fit and Finish. I keep reading that leather and trim is not luxurious enough, but does it wear well? Given I have worn in leather in the Lexus (kind of like your dad's old leather recliner), I just want to be sure it holds up.
  4. Follow up question- how supportive is Tesla of cosmetic repairs etc?
  5. I'm an android guy (for now) and it appears as though several Android owners have had issues. Should I switch to apple just for ease of use? My wife and 8 kids are all apple already anyway and I have an IPad. . .easy switch if so.
  6. Impact of Loaded 3s on future market value of used S that is not a P XXXD
  7. Air Suspension- pros and cons? Anyone think this is unnecessary? I am getting 21 inch silver cyclones
  8. Protection of the paint- Lots of threads on clear bras etc. What do I really need? If I buy, I'm definitely interested in enhanced finish protection
  9. No spare- how is this a good thing?
  10. Frunk- I understand it's always mechanical, and have seen mixed reviews. . . Do hoods and front ends get scratched?
  11. Color Combo- Going with obsidian vs. regular black sight unseen. Tan interior and ash trim (with upgrade). Want to be somewhat unique but don't want to cross the line too much, so I'm suppressing my temptation to get the Gray cyclones. . .
  12. Most important question: What am I not thinking about that I really should be thinking about?
Thanks for breaking me in. . . Mark

Unfortunately, i do not currently have a Tesla, but in my car experience, here are my thoughts:

(1) As far as the lease vs own - with leasing, you only keep the car for 3 years, so if this is your first Tesla, it will give you an opportunity to "try out the car". After the three years are up, you can trade it in for the newer model. You also have the option to buy out your lease if you want. Also on a lease, you are always under manufacturers warranty, so no need to spend additional money for an extended warranty!

In my opinion, leasing is better, because:

1. New car every couple of years
2. No worrying about having to buy extended warranty or not like you would with a purchase!
3. Your monthly payments are usually lower than with a purchase!
4. Always have the option to purchase your lease

Only real negative thing with a lease, is that if you always lease, will will never have a paid off vehicle!

1. No spare or jack.
2. Updates for hw2 anxiety
3. Model S long term value post 3

More and more cars today are not coming with a spare tire. Spares made sense before everyone had a cell phone. Why would you risk your life changing a tire when you can call a tow truck? The spare tire adds weight, cost and takes-up valuable storage space too.

I'm happy to not have a spare and with today's tires and TPMS systems, being stranded with a flat tire is a somewhat uncommon thing. Uncommon enough where justifying a spare tire is hard to do.

Unfortunately, i do not currently have a Tesla, but in my car experience, here are my thoughts:

(1) As far as the lease vs own - with leasing, you only keep the car for 3 years, so if this is your first Tesla, it will give you an opportunity to "try out the car". After the three years are up, you can trade it in for the newer model. You also have the option to buy out your lease if you want. Also on a lease, you are always under manufacturers warranty, so no need to spend additional money for an extended warranty!

In my opinion, leasing is better, because:

1. New car every couple of years
2. No worrying about having to buy extended warranty or not like you would with a purchase!
3. Your monthly payments are usually lower than with a purchase!
4. Always have the option to purchase your lease

Only real negative thing with a lease, is that if you always lease, will will never have a paid off vehicle!

Thanks for the insight!

More and more cars today are not coming with a spare tire. Spares made sense before everyone had a cell phone. Why would you risk your life changing a tire when you can call a tow truck? The spare tire adds weight, cost and takes-up valuable storage space too.

I'm happy to not have a spare and with today's tires and TPMS systems, being stranded with a flat tire is a somewhat uncommon thing. Uncommon enough where justifying a spare tire is hard to do.

Thanks, I get it. I have had the pleasure of changing many a tire, and it actually once made me a hero in my 10 year old daughter's eyes as we were on our way to her dance recital where she was the only soloist. Long story short I changed that sucker quicker than an Indy pit crew and she made it by 5 min. . . . That will not be possible anymore but she's about to start driving herself now anyway. . .lol

Reactions: Hrhkee and David99
People at work, range anxiety. Wondering if they'll have enough to get there or back.
When finding out that the car tells you what the battery will be upon destination (and even round trips), it really put people's mind at ease.

The other is 'where do I charge' and I reply, literally anywhere.

One I just got: Don't we still have to get some gas? No! But don't electric cars have gas and electric? 'No, that's hybrid'.
But what about the motor? 'there is no engine'. 'oh...'

Another -I can preheat my car and having gas is good for that because of the waste heat.
My reply: yeah but you have to go start it (have a visual) plus you can't if it's in the garage. I can preheat from my phone, anywhere in the world with no exhaust fumes.

Not worried about mileage
If you lease go for the 15k per year mileage. You won't be sorry :)
19 or 21 inch wheels- any thoughts here?
21" may look better but the ride is a little rougher
I keep reading that leather and trim is not luxurious enough,

not luxurious? Maybe compared to MB and BMW but very nice still. Seats are very comfortable and hold up well. Plenty of post here about that.

I'm an android guy (for now) and it appears as though several Android owners have had issues.
I have always been an Android guy myself. Never have any issues with my S. There are some App's that were only Apple for a while but that also is changing
mpact of Loaded 3s
I don't see any big impact IMHO. Think BMW 3 series and 5 or 7 series. All have a market
That's the key word. I leased so I did not spend another $2500 on paint protection.
No spare- how is this a good thing?
So many cars do not come with a spare anymore. I carry a plug kit and air compressor as well as the fix-a-flat can. I then cross my fingers and hope for the best :)
Frunk- I understand it's always mechanical, and have seen mixed reviews. .
I love having the frunk! My only problem is it can be fragile. It must be closed correctly and not slammed shut like a hood.
Most important question: What am I not thinking about that I really should be thinking about?
Planning road trips! :) You will be looking for reasons to drive.
No AP? Or just not enhanced AP? I get the holding off on enhanced but the AP is awesome on highways. You will want it in the future, believe me. ( If you didn't get it)
Chicago winters will severely lower range efficiency. Figure 20% or more in the colder weather. Easy to plan around once you have been driving a while
Good luck!

Reactions: Sully's8

Besides the car I think you could bring up the charging facts as Zooomer, say's literally anywhere! :)
This to me is a big advantage Tesla has over all other EV's , including future EV's like Faraday.
I get asked the range questions of course but the second biggest is always "how/where do you charge"
Reliability: This is big for ANY new car. And it seems Tesla has addressed many of their past issues. Drive units, 12V battery, X doors are less problematic, quality control is somewhat better (needs improvement)
But think about it, the actual battery is never an issue :)