Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this on carsales: 2015 Model S P85 - $67,000

Seems very cheap... no mention of any damage. Anyone know the history of this one? (NSW plate "ELEC")

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-tesla-model-s-p85-auto/SSE-AD-6220183/?Cr=0

It apparently has the lifetime free supercharging and Autopilot HW1.

I thought this one had sold because it disappeared for a bit, but it's back again for another go at $72k
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2014-tesla-model-s-p85-auto/SSE-AD-6220183/?Cr=3

Having just sold our second family ICE vehicle (literally yesterday) I am now in the market for another Tesla.

Still dismayed at the used pricing .... 4/5 year old vehicles still advertised @ ~60% of the 'new' value of much improved vehicles (e.g. 2015 S70D for $70k + stamp duty vs. new s75D for $125k drive away, before they discontinued). Any other luxury vehicle after 4/5 years and 100k miles would be worth 20-35% of 'new' value. I highly suspect the March 2019 price cuts are still not being reflected in used advertised prices.

Might have to get an iPace :eek:.... or retain my other Model 3 reservation and wait for delivery.

Please let me know if anyone is selling an 'S' or 'X' at a sensible price (appreciating 'sensible' is up for debate).

Last edited:
Having just sold our second family ICE vehicle (literally yesterday) I am now in the market for another Tesla.

Still dismayed at the used pricing .... 4/5 year old vehicles still advertised @ ~60% of the 'new' value of much improved vehicles (e.g. 2015 S70D for $70k + stamp duty vs. new s75D for $125k drive away, before they discontinued). Any other luxury vehicle after 4/5 years and 100k miles would be worth 20-35% of 'new' value. I highly suspect the March 2019 price cuts are still not being reflected in used advertised prices.

Might have to get an iPace :eek:.... or retain my other Model 3 reservation and wait for delivery.

Please let me know if anyone is selling an 'S' or 'X' at a sensible price (appreciating 'sensible' is up for debate).

Point is the S75D is discontinued and it is much more expensive to get in to a Model S now than previously....secondly people that bought the S70D's paid over $145k minimum (I paid $8,500 just for AutoPilot alone) for the car new only 4 years ago (not 5)....so at $70,000 that reprsents a 52% drop in value in just 4 years...as an example no way a $200k BMW 7 series is going to be selling for $40,000 after just 4 years.

I think your figures and expectations are a tad out, I highly doubt an average km'ed driven car that was bought for $145k new is going to be selling for $50k after just 4 years.

Reactions: rohan_aus
Point is the S75D is discontinued and it is much more expensive to get in to a Model S now than previously....secondly people that bought the S70D's paid over $145k minimum (I paid $8,500 just for AutoPilot alone) for the car new only 4 years ago (not 5)....so at $70,000 that reprsents a 52% drop in value in just 4 years...as an example no way a $200k BMW 7 series is going to be selling for $40,000 after just 4 years.

I think your figures and expectations are a tad out, I highly doubt an average km'ed driven car that was bought for $145k new is going to be selling for $50k after just 4 years.

I don't disagree that original purchase prices were higher, but unfortunately that doesn't (or at least shouldn't) determine used values. Used values are generally a spread from current new prices ....when new prices fall so will used, otherwise the incentive to buy used isn't there.

Likewise, comparing a 70D to a 100D is like comparing a basic 2.0 Audi A6 to an S6. The 75D was the closest comparison, hence referenced in my post.

In terms of deprecation of luxury/premium vehicles I have some experience. 50% depreciation on new values after 6 years and 60k km is fairly standard. I owned one vehicle that had depreciated by 51% in under one year and another by 27% in six months.

As forum members we are all, generally, fans of Tesla, but in my opinion we put too high a value on them ..... hence many not selling for months.

I don't disagree that original purchase prices were higher, but unfortunately that doesn't (or at least shouldn't) determine used values. Used values are generally a spread from current new prices ....when new prices fall so will used, otherwise the incentive to buy used isn't there.

Likewise, comparing a 70D to a 100D is like comparing a basic 2.0 Audi A6 to an S6. The 75D was the closest comparison, hence referenced in my post.

In terms of deprecation of luxury/premium vehicles I have some experience. 50% depreciation on new values after 6 years and 60k km is fairly standard. I owned one vehicle that had depreciated by 51% in under one year and another by 27% in six months.

As forum members we are all, generally, fans of Tesla, but in my opinion we put too high a value on them ..... hence many not selling for months.

Rule of thumb: most cars halve in value every 3 years,
Tesla has no rule of thumb, so it seems the same rule is being applied.
The current perceived value depends if you are the buyer or seller, however in reality it's back to supply and demand and what a willing buyer is prepared to pay the vendor on the day.

Reactions: Tension

Sure thing, but you're shaking your heading wondering why the prices aren't 65-70% down in only 4.5 years....on top of this a 75D is NOT available new anymore therefore the entry price to a new Model S is $150k+

My points remains....plus I just sold my car prooving that point ;) actually a :( face as I am going to miss my S soooo much.....and it sucks that I don't have my 3 yet!

Rule of thumb: most cars halve in value every 3 years,
Tesla has no rule of thumb, so it seems the same rule is being applied.
The current perceived value depends if you are the buyer or seller, however in reality it's back to supply and demand and what a willing buyer is prepared to pay the vendor on the day.

I did better than that rule of thumb, I did better notably than 50% for a car 4 years old and I dare say most will.

It's been a bit since anything new has been listed on Tesla's used inventory, I don't think since the Model 3 started shipping.
Surely they've taken a trade in from someone - are they just stockpiling them all until they get over delivery hell in AU for the Model 3 backlog?

I feel like there are too few used Tesla’s for sale/selling to get a real feeling of their value. I almost caved and bought an S while waiting for my 3, I was offered a new 2019 build S75D with 7km on it, in stock, for $106k (at this time all options were standard except basic AP which I think was $5k, so let’s call it $111k). On that basis pretty much every used S looks expensive to me. They were also offering in stock S100D’s with a similar discount (~$30k). Not sure if that was a one off or not.

But now you can’t get a 75/standard range, and I don’t know if you can still get good discounts for in stock cars.

I also see someone is selling a P3+ for 10% more than RRP. If someone will pay it good for them! I sold a $95k AMG CLA45 for $115k a few years ago, the wait was 2 years not 3 months though....

I sold a $95k AMG CLA45 for $115k a few years ago
Impressive! nice profit.
I sold my A45 for what I paid for it after 2 years (I got just about the first one in the country)- but I have NEVER looked back, since the day I drove my P85DL out of the Tesla place in Artarmon.
Quite a lot less checkable, quite a lot more loveable.
HOWEVER I sold my P90D for a BIG loss (lost 43% at 2 years) because of the extraordinary price drops that occurred at Tesla last year.

Impressive! nice profit.
I sold my A45 for what I paid for it after 2 years (I got just about the first one in the country)- but I have NEVER looked back, since the day I drove my P85DL out of the Tesla place in Artarmon.
Quite a lot less checkable, quite a lot more loveable.
HOWEVER I sold my P90D for a BIG loss (lost 43% at 2 years) because of the extraordinary price drops that occurred at Tesla last year.

I just sold my S, just shy of 4 years and only lost 31%....moral of the story (as a general rule): don’t buy the top of the range model of any car manufacture unless you don’t mind paying for the much steeper depreciation

Congratulations EcoCloud. Great result. How long was it for sale?

There are always exceptions to the rule ... and 'less educated' Tesla buyers (which isn't hard given the plethora of specification changes). The sale of one vehicle with limited depreciation does not a market make. Just 31% depreciation after ~4 years would beat the majority of luxury vehicles for sale in Australia. Would love that, but not betting my house on it.

My point remains valid: as the majority of used Tesla's have been for sale on Carsales for months ( ~50 vehicles at any one time) the only plausible reason for this is the pricing (if it was 1 or 2 vehicles one could argue condition). I would clearly love our vehicles to depreciate less than anything else on the road, but I doubt it.

Priced appropriately and vehicles will generally sell within a reasonable timeframe.

Good luck to anyone looking to buy ... and as a heads up, there should be some Tesla used inventory coming up this month.

Reactions: Tension and taco
@DBPhil sold a few days under 1 month. However, I am an absolute nut at keeping my car look like dead new...no dents, door dings, not stone chips etc. Seats in front and back still look like new (seriously do)....so first person that looked seriously bought....he'd compared to others and said buying my car was like buying a new car (and it is in terms of condition).....I've done this with every single car I've own, gotten more than other identical cars on sale at the time (albeit the Tesla keep more % than my previous cars)....

So as you say a number of factors, for me I beliebe it was not having the top of the range (they loose less as a %) and having a car that looks "as new".....