Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 41 mile commute (one way) over a ton of blind hills (where I lose sight until driving over the crest) and sharp curves in western Pennsylvania that I use autopilot HW1 for 90% of the drive. I have been recording my drive with each update and noticed improvements here and there. The car still pull to the extreme right or left, crossing the line and forcing a takeover when going over some of these hills, unless following another vehicle, and there are two curves where it forces a takeover on its own. Today, after the 8.0 (2.52.22) update, I noticed some new behaviors. It slows down and handles sharp turns much more gracefully, and although there are three beeps (a new tone I've never heard before) AP stays engaged and asks for a nudge on the wheel instead of disengaging. The most surprising thing was that there was a section of curved and straight road that was covered in salt and no lines could be detected for about half a mile. There was no vehicle in front of me and the autopilot display on the dash showed a dark grey road with no lines but continued to follow the road in and out of curves, flawlessly. I was not recording my trip home (when it happened) but I will tomorrow. The hills, I'm sorry to say have the same behavior and it seems that roads with lines on the left and a curb, sidewalk, or grass on the right have gotten "worse" as the vehicle really hugs the right where i'm afraid the wheels are going to scrape the curb. The vehicle used to stay smack-dab in the middle under these conditions. Anyone else find any new behaviors on there normal route?

I have a 41 mile commute (one way) over a ton of blind hills (where I lose sight until driving over the crest) and sharp curves in western Pennsylvania that I use autopilot HW1 for 90% of the drive. I have been recording my drive with each update and noticed improvements here and there. The car still pull to the extreme right or left, crossing the line and forcing a takeover when going over some of these hills, unless following another vehicle, and there are two curves where it forces a takeover on its own. Today, after the 8.0 (2.52.22) update, I noticed some new behaviors. It slows down and handles sharp turns much more gracefully, and although there are three beeps (a new tone I've never heard before) AP stays engaged and asks for a nudge on the wheel instead of disengaging. The most surprising thing was that there was a section of curved and straight road that was covered in salt and no lines could be detected for about half a mile. There was no vehicle in front of me and the autopilot display on the dash showed a dark grey road with no lines but continued to follow the road in and out of curves, flawlessly. I was not recording my trip home (when it happened) but I will tomorrow. The hills, I'm sorry to say have the same behavior and it seems that roads with lines on the left and a curb, sidewalk, or grass on the right have gotten "worse" as the vehicle really hugs the right where i'm afraid the wheels are going to scrape the curb. The vehicle used to stay smack-dab in the middle under these conditions. Anyone else find any new behaviors on there normal route?
Notably, with HW2(and being one of the 1000 with TACC), I see the same behavior coming around tight turns: The car begins slowing itself as it approaches the curve. I'm guessing it's falling back on gps to know about the curve, because it was doing it even at night before the curve was visible.

Notably, with HW2(and being one of the 1000 with TACC), I see the same behavior coming around tight turns: The car begins slowing itself as it approaches the curve. I'm guessing it's falling back on gps to know about the curve, because it was doing it even at night before the curve was visible.
I have AP1 and my car also slows as it negotiates freeway ramps, slowing towards the apex and then picking up speed as it identifies straighter road ahead. All this is without any car in front to track behind. It was really cool, and I noticed it at least 1-2 firmware updates ago (I'm currently at 2.52.22 ) .

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
I just completed a 1000 mile road trip, half with 2.50.114 and half with 2.52.22 on AP1. Overall compared to the 2.42.xx series, I found AP to be better overall, both Autosteer and TACC. However, I still had a few scary moments when cresting hills, especially with curves and with vehicles nearby. I found that these new versions can often correct themselves shortly after cresting a hill if nobody is around you, but if anyone is around, they will get freaked out by you slightly departing your lane around a curve.

• Informative
The overpasses......what's with the sudden red death grip flashing when driving under overpasses?

I had this happen on my test drive but never after that. My suspicion is that in an underpass the contrast changes so suddenly that the AP camera completely loses track of all lane markers (while it finds the right white balance again) and that's why it freaks out.

I had this happen on my test drive but never after that. My suspicion is that in an underpass the contrast changes so suddenly that the AP camera completely loses track of all lane markers (while it finds the right white balance again) and that's why it freaks out.
Just hit you up after reading your detail in 8.0. Much more prevalent than the prior black take control message.

• Informative
Interesting! I agree that the hill cresting behavior hasn't gotten any better. It's been bad since 7.0 and hasn't changed.

Neat discovery with the turns. In prior releases I have tried to see how far it could make it around right turns (answer: usually not very far). If I slowed to a very slow speed first, it would do better. But it never slowed on its own.

Of course, I did my testing on lightly used back roads where there is probably little road data previously collected. I imagine mine is the only Tesla traveling there.

Did this happen on a "well tesla'd" road?

I had an interesting thing happen on 2.52.22 this morning with AP 1.0 hardware. While riding in the commuter lane (left lane) on autopilot, the car automatically moved to the left of the lane as a Motorcycle split the center of the two lanes.

One of my frustrations in commute traffic is that the car has stays too close to center of the lane, rather than the left, and doesn't provide enough room for bikes. So much so that I've been mostly keeping AP off. Maybe that's fixed now.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I had an interesting thing happen on 2.52.22 this morning with AP 1.0 hardware. While riding in the commuter lane (left lane) on autopilot, the car automatically moved to the left of the lane as a Motorcycle split the center of the two lanes.

One of my frustrations in commute traffic is that the car has stays too close to center of the lane, rather than the left, and doesn't provide enough room for bikes. So much so that I've been mostly keeping AP off. Maybe that's fixed now.
Same to me this morning, but I shook it off and thought I was imagining.