Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New apartment charging locations!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got lucky and my service center got one for me, but it was a while back.

I think a lot of builders are more comfortable w the 14-30 as it is a dryer plug. I suspect that we will see the 14-30 become pretty common for properties providing ev chargers. My new home touted the 14-30 plug as an electric car charger in the garage. The washer dryer is separate upstairs.

This is why imho tesla needs to bring back the 14-30. IMHO home builders are comfortable with 14-30, but not with 14-50 (rv chargers).
Bummer... Yeah they are very hard to find.. I emailed my Tesla contacts this morning but no luck. If you come across one let me know. I have no problem with the adapter but Ive heard that I have to lower the AMPs each time I plug it in... I move into the apartment in 45 days so I have a little of time to figure it out. I think they added the "30" because it uses less power..... Thats my thinking!

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I have no problem with the adapter but Ive heard that I have to lower the AMPs each time I plug it in...

You do not have to lower the Amps each time. The car "remembers" at each location.

However, I always stick around and watch my car when I plug in until the Amps ramp up from 0 to wherever I want them to go even if I want them to go up to the full 40 Amps that my car with the single on board charger can accommodate. I find this to be a "best practice" type of thing.

really.. it only takes several seconds.. I see no reason not to do this "check"

You do not have to lower the Amps each time. The car "remembers" at each location.

However, I always stick around and watch my car when I plug in until the Amps ramp up from 0 to wherever I want them to go even if I want them to go up to the full 40 Amps that my car with the single on board charger can accommodate. I find this to be a "best practice" type of thing.

really.. it only takes several seconds.. I see no reason not to do this "check"
Gotcha! Does it remember every time? I can also check on my tesla app on my phone as well. One day I hope I can find the official Tesla 14-30!

I think a lot of builders are more comfortable w the 14-30 as it is a dryer plug. I suspect that we will see the 14-30 become pretty common for properties providing ev chargers. My new home touted the 14-30 plug as an electric car charger in the garage. The washer dryer is separate upstairs.

This is why imho tesla needs to bring back the 14-30. IMHO home builders are comfortable with 14-30, but not with 14-50 (rv chargers).

Builders should be comfortable with a 14-50 also -- those are used for electric ranges/ovens also, not just for RVs.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Otherwise you will probably need to get a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter and have to remember to dial down your amps to 24 each time you charge.

Your car will remember the setting once you dial it down so you won't need to do it each time you charge. Some people have posted that the car has reverted back to the default setting but I have a HPWC with the dips set to 64 amps, but I charge at 42 amps, and it has never once reverted back to 64 in over a year of daily charging this way.

Your car will remember the setting once you dial it down so you won't need to do it each time you charge. Some people have posted that the car has reverted back to the default setting but I have a HPWC with the dips set to 64 amps, but I charge at 42 amps, and it has never once reverted back to 64 in over a year of daily charging this way.

Please remember that the car can "forget" location based amperages under certain circumstances. This is why it's so important to get the right adapter if you can.

Because the 30A Tesla adapters are hard to get, you can also buy one of these for a plug-and-play situation that will always be safe even if the car forgets the "remembered" charge setting. Clipper Creek LCS-30P
You would just need to use your J1772 adapter every time.

You could also ask the management if you could have an electrician hard wire a HPWC in place of that plug. You would get the same 24A charging speed, but with a bolted down EVSE and Tesla connector with charge port release button.