Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New App and Charging Info is propaganda rather than data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the updated app yesterday and was interested in the charging data. I was very shocked to see that in the last 30 days the app said I saved $105 in gas costs. (428 kWh, spent $61, gas equivalent $166).

In the app, it does not use the actual miles driven (which it should be able to get). Rather, I believe it calculates it based upon the kWh used.

I used 428 kWh. At 25 kWh/100 miles (EPA numbers), this is 1712 miles. At 33 MPG, this is 52 gallons of gas. $3.20 per gallon in MN, it's the $166 that the app indicated I would have spent on gas, giving me a $105 savings.

I estimate that in this time period, I drove maybe 400 miles. When I had an ICE, I never filled up more than once every three or four weeks (10 gallon tank and 35 MPG). Using the same prices and mileage, I would have spent about $40 on gas, which is less than the Tesla costs. Remember, this is MN where is has been below zero many day.

Why would Tesla put out an App update to a bunch of tech-savvy customers that is blatantly misleading?

BTW, my car is nearly three months old and has 2,264 miles on it. I did two longer trips in December (300+ miles each), so I know my January miles are low

Thanks,
Jeff

For me it’s simple. Didn’t buy the car to save money or reduce transportation costs.

The other costs are like the carrying costs for anything. If you kept your car in a heated garage you’d have more accurate numbers to compare to your economy car. The model 3 is not an economy car. Compare the numbers to a sports sedan 24 mpg average at its very best).

Reactions: buckets0fun
You’re not getting EPA numbers in the winter.
Understood. That's partially my point. The Tesla App absolutely has the ability to record the actual mileage for the time period they are showing and then apply the mileage to an equivalent ICE cost - they could even let you put in a MPG and/or $/Gallon to get a true cost, but they don't. They use EPA numbers, I think, and are misleading.

I already bought the car. There is no reason to shade the truth.

Reactions: Sporty
Understood. That's partially my point. The Tesla App absolutely has the ability to record the actual mileage for the time period they are showing and then apply the mileage to an equivalent ICE cost - they could even let you put in a MPG and/or $/Gallon to get a true cost, but they don't. They use EPA numbers, I think, and are misleading.

I already bought the car. There is no reason to shade the truth.
Companies (many companies) don't care about the truth, they will be truthful, lie and mislead according to what they believe is most profitable. Here, the motivation would be to make you think you're saving money, remain a happy customer, and spread the word.

Did you have an iPhone because don't work on Android
Yes I have iPhone with 4.5.1 app update installed. Car is 2017 Model 75D with MCU2 upgrade running 2022.4 firmware. I wonder I can't see it because I havent charged the car in a week? maybe it will start showing up for me once I start charging it now?

Anyone else in same boat as me?

As an owner, have you not run the cost numbers of your car compared to the previous one?

Either I’m delusional, or the poster is.

My last car compared to my current. Keep in mind I drive 4500 miles a month and ONLY supercharge. No home charger.

Kia K5
Monthly payment: $583
Mileage: 30mpg
California cost of gas: 4.90
Cost to fill tank: ~$60 per 380 miles, so ~700/mo or ~$16 per 100 miles
Oil change: $170 per 4000 miles, so ~$190/mo
cost/mo not counting car payment (only to drive) is $990
counting car payment: ~$1500

2022 MYP
Monthly payment: 1000
Supercharging average cost in app is .29/kwh
I’ve charged 1932kwh with over 5938 miles of ownership. Cost is ~$9.50 per 100 miles
So for the same monthly mileage I pay ~$430 in charging costs.
Cost/mo to drive is $430.
Monthly costs is $1430.

I’m not including tires for either vehicle, but regardless, I’m saving money.

ICE car -
$16/100 miles
Tesla supercharging only -
$9.50/100 miles

The app says I’ve saved $352
I’ve actually save $370 ish.
Pretty damn accurate.

Clearly saving me money. It would be insanely better if I had a home charger

What are you missing that makes you call this propaganda.

What are you missing that makes you call this propaganda.

I don't think I am missing anything. I am only talking fuel versus electrical costs which is what the App is doing.

Even if ALL my miles since I got the car in November were in the last 30 day (2400 miles), my Chevy Malibu Hybrid was getting 30+ MPG. That's 80 gallons of gas at $3.20 or $256. The Tesla App claims I would have used $166 in the last 30 days. Clearly inaccurate.

My point is why can't the App use the *actual* mileage since it know it? Further, why can't you configure a MPG to use as a comparison?

Remember also, I am in MN where the temperatures have been in the below zero range, greatly affecting costs.

Now, did I really save money or not? Don't know. Don't really care to be honest since I did not buy the car to save money - I don't drive more than 7K-8K miles per year. But I do know that I did not save $105 in gas. Heck, I never put that much in my Malibu in two months.

Reactions: damonbrodie
It’s also accounting for extra power pulled from the grid. Like if you pre heat your car off of grid power. Also the power you pull from the wall doesn’t 100% go straight to your battery. There are some efficiency losses either through the wiring or the cars built in charger itself. Not saying Tesla’s way of reporting gas savings is right or wrong but that’s probably why the app is off and it shows you saving more money than you probably would.

Yes I have iPhone with 4.5.1 app update installed. Car is 2017 Model 75D with MCU2 upgrade running 2022.4 firmware. I wonder I can't see it because I havent charged the car in a week? maybe it will start showing up for me once I start charging it now?

Anyone else in same boat as me?
No it goes back the last 31 days. What I've noticed is that on our case we have two Teslas MYs. - On mine I can only see the stats on my car but not my wife's; even tho both cars are on the the phone app.