Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New App and Charging Info is propaganda rather than data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the updated app yesterday and was interested in the charging data. I was very shocked to see that in the last 30 days the app said I saved $105 in gas costs. (428 kWh, spent $61, gas equivalent $166).

In the app, it does not use the actual miles driven (which it should be able to get). Rather, I believe it calculates it based upon the kWh used.

I used 428 kWh. At 25 kWh/100 miles (EPA numbers), this is 1712 miles. At 33 MPG, this is 52 gallons of gas. $3.20 per gallon in MN, it's the $166 that the app indicated I would have spent on gas, giving me a $105 savings.

I estimate that in this time period, I drove maybe 400 miles. When I had an ICE, I never filled up more than once every three or four weeks (10 gallon tank and 35 MPG). Using the same prices and mileage, I would have spent about $40 on gas, which is less than the Tesla costs. Remember, this is MN where is has been below zero many day.

Why would Tesla put out an App update to a bunch of tech-savvy customers that is blatantly misleading?

BTW, my car is nearly three months old and has 2,264 miles on it. I did two longer trips in December (300+ miles each), so I know my January miles are low

Thanks,
Jeff
I'd almost kill for $.15/kWh rates.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I got the updated app yesterday and was interested in the charging data. I was very shocked to see that in the last 30 days the app said I saved $105 in gas costs. (428 kWh, spent $61, gas equivalent $166).

In the app, it does not use the actual miles driven (which it should be able to get). Rather, I believe it calculates it based upon the kWh used.

I used 428 kWh. At 25 kWh/100 miles (EPA numbers), this is 1712 miles. At 33 MPG, this is 52 gallons of gas. $3.20 per gallon in MN, it's the $166 that the app indicated I would have spent on gas, giving me a $105 savings.

I estimate that in this time period, I drove maybe 400 miles. When I had an ICE, I never filled up more than once every three or four weeks (10 gallon tank and 35 MPG). Using the same prices and mileage, I would have spent about $40 on gas, which is less than the Tesla costs. Remember, this is MN where is has been below zero many day.

Why would Tesla put out an App update to a bunch of tech-savvy customers that is blatantly misleading?

BTW, my car is nearly three months old and has 2,264 miles on it. I did two longer trips in December (300+ miles each), so I know my January miles are low

Thanks,
Jeff
You’re 3 months in. Relax and enjoy the car. They’re using all kinds of statewide averages, which is never perfect. If you want real info make your own spreadsheet. I have a wattage reader where my car plugs in, so I know exactly how much electricity it draws. They can’t use actual mileage because people would complain about privacy and tracking miles. Figure out your own $/mile with your specific electric costs, then compare the cost per mile with your last car. Thing is, you have way more data than you did with your ICE, so you’re still probably guesstimating what range it got. Relax!! Enjoy the ride :)

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
Well in Denmark it seems to the opposite ;)

It says I have used around 1200DKK on electricity while it would have cost around 250DKK in gas. As I have driven around 1200km that seems quite Wild.

Gas is currently around 15DKK/litre so if its estimate Was correct it would be around 70km / litre and not the 11 they say they use ik the calculation :)

Edit: this seems to be a bug in non US. The gas used price it shows is the same for whatever region the phone is set to. Ie I set it to UK and its 260 pound, Germany 260 euro etc etc… so somewhere in There the calculation is wrong. I suspect it is dollars and it dosent actually localise the gas price as it says…

Last edited:
It’s also accounting for extra power pulled from the grid. Like if you pre heat your car off of grid power. Also the power you pull from the wall doesn’t 100% go straight to your battery. There are some efficiency losses either through the wiring or the cars built in charger itself. Not saying Tesla’s way of reporting gas savings is right or wrong but that’s probably why the app is off and it shows you saving more money than you probably would.
Has it been confirmed that the kWh reported in the app actually matches actual kWh at the wall? I was assuming they were only counting kWh used while driving. I'm more interested in knowing real kWh usage than any purported savings vs. gas.

This month, my odometer reported I used 180KWh of electricity and the app showed I used 260KWh. I did not precondition that car at all this month - maybe a few days. I have sentry mode off for the most part. It is off at home and at work, so only on when doing errands of eating out. Seems way out of whack.

A lot of this is averages/ball parking based on a 28 MPG gas car, the average watt-hour you are getting in the car. I’m guilty of sitting in the car for up to a hour and working which makes my number skew worse in the winter. I have some trips at 255Wh and some I’ve seen hit 640Wh.
I had a friend of the family ask “how far can I drive going 90MPH?” Which all I could respond with is “as far as the police allow you to” lol
Super hot climates and cold climates, wind, rain, speed, weight, terrain, wheels, all going to hurt the quoted nominal stats.

Made this to try and get closer for some friends that had spreadsheet phobias. EnergyCalc

Similar issues with ICE city vs Hwy arise with range or taking the combo 55%/45% split for mixed MPG which may also be different if your commute is 80% freeway.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Jeff
Did you ever believed the advertisement off Shell our any other gasoline company with there fuel saving “new developed V-power”?🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣🥱