Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New app shows charging stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a note here, I don't like the fact that accessing/saving the info is tedious. I also don't like the charge rounded to the nearest kwh. They could do tenths of a kwh if they wanted (graph implies this).

If you are trying to figure out how much it costs you to charge from home, it only uses energy added, not energy drawn. So efficiency losses are ignored.

Some numbers I ran showed 70kwh (Tesla app) but more like 75kwh using Tezlab figures. Tesla has this data, or Tezlab would not have been able to collect it.
Good point. I use TezLab as well. My losses seem to be minimal but still. Hopefully they update the charge stats a bit as time moves along.

Yeah, after a week, I've determined it isn't very helpful to me based on my situation.

My cost per kilowatt-hour is $.196, so that gets rounded up to $.20. Based on 20 cents per kwh, the "cost vs. gas" is always exactly 1/2. It says it's using a national average for fuel (again, not very helpful) -- fuel isn't even remotely near the national average in southern California. According to the internet, national average is (at time of writing this) $3.44. Average in California is $4.49.

It would be much more useful if they allow another decimal point for the cost of electricity and if they were able to use regional gas prices. If it's simply going to double my electricity cost and display the difference as money saved, I can do the X2 math myself.

Yeah, after a week, I've determined it isn't very helpful to me based on my situation.

My cost per kilowatt-hour is $.196, so that gets rounded up to $.20. Based on 20 cents per kwh, the "cost vs. gas" is always exactly 1/2. It says it's using a national average for fuel (again, not very helpful) -- fuel isn't even remotely near the national average in southern California. According to the internet, national average is (at time of writing this) $3.44. Average in California is $4.49.

It would be much more useful if they allow another decimal point for the cost of electricity and if they were able to use regional gas prices. If it's simply going to double my electricity cost and display the difference as money saved, I can do the X2 math myself.
Given that the difference between $0.196 and $0.20 is only a 2% increase it is probably no big deal....

Given that the difference between $0.196 and $0.20 is only a 2% increase it is probably no big deal....
Agreeed. At 0.196 80kw is $15.68 vs .2 is $16.

The bigger thing is the cost of gas. My app says it’s using California average, what ever that might be…I agree it would be nice to set it myself for my specific area.

Attachments

• 0635B239-E07B-4E17-9970-A9DD6EF0F3F3.png
    0635B239-E07B-4E17-9970-A9DD6EF0F3F3.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 50
Agreeed. At 0.196 80kw is $15.68 vs .2 is $16.

The bigger thing is the cost of gas. My app says it’s using California average, what ever that might be…I agree it would be nice to set it myself for my specific area.
Not sure if it's the same for CA, but for NJ, it lets me pick the company and plan - and what they show for the charge per kW matches the rate sheet I printed from the utility's website although it does seem to average them - .058 for winter, .063 for summer. It just uses .06.