Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New audio misbehavior with 2018.21.9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I have noticed what I think is a new form of misbehavior by the audio system since the installation of the latest software update (2018.21.9 75bdbc11) a few days ago.

The misbehavior occurs with the audio system playing a particular channel of streaming music. The song ends. It cues up the next song and plays perhaps one or two seconds of it and then stops abruptly. The screen displays the pause symbol, implying that it is playing the music. But in fact, it is not playing any music, and nothing further happens.

If I hit the pause button and then hit play, in an attempt to prompt the music to play, the audio system starts to play a different channel. In my case, it has every time played a certain podcast that is positioned adjacent to the one that is being played on my list of channels at the bottom of the screen. I haven't done enough testing to determine if the position is a coincidence or if it actually determines what happens. But in any case, it starts playing the podcast, but continues to display the song and the channel that was queued up but never played. So, the screen display is inconsistent with the actual behavior.

If I force the audio system to use a different Channel by clicking on it, it will switch and will start to play music from that channel. I went on a trip of about 10 minutes duration, and it did seem to play several songs in a row from one channel. So, it is not clear to me what it is that prompts the system to switch from one channel to another, or why it will refuse to play a particular song even though it looks as if it's playing it.

I filed bug reports but am curious if others have observed this behavior.

I have noticed what I think is a new form of misbehavior by the audio system since the installation of the latest software update (2018.21.9 75bdbc11) a few days ago.

The misbehavior occurs with the audio system playing a particular channel of streaming music. The song ends. It cues up the next song and plays perhaps one or two seconds of it and then stops abruptly. The screen displays the pause symbol, implying that it is playing the music. But in fact, it is not playing any music, and nothing further happens.

If I hit the pause button and then hit play, in an attempt to prompt the music to play, the audio system starts to play a different channel. In my case, it has every time played a certain podcast that is positioned adjacent to the one that is being played on my list of channels at the bottom of the screen. I haven't done enough testing to determine if the position is a coincidence or if it actually determines what happens. But in any case, it starts playing the podcast, but continues to display the song and the channel that was queued up but never played. So, the screen display is inconsistent with the actual behavior.

If I force the audio system to use a different Channel by clicking on it, it will switch and will start to play music from that channel. I went on a trip of about 10 minutes duration, and it did seem to play several songs in a row from one channel. So, it is not clear to me what it is that prompts the system to switch from one channel to another, or why it will refuse to play a particular song even though it looks as if it's playing it.

I filed bug reports but am curious if others have observed this behavior.
Yes, when I had this way back, it was because of intermittent internet coverage.
Look at your signal strength and see if it is a buffering issue.

Yes, when I had this way back, it was because of intermittent internet coverage.
Look at your signal strength and see if it is a buffering issue.

You could be right! I have not had this issue again since I first reported it. And it seemed to occur mainly at two locations, namely my home and an office I had to visit the day i experienced the problem.

I have always had the problem of the system occasionally switching sources when the car was shut down, so perhaps what I experienced this week was some combination of that historical behavior and a weak signal. I'll keep an ear out for anything similar...

I'm sort of doubtful it's a bug specific to this latest update, but I've had an interesting little glitch with the XM satellite radio. One of the stations I marked as a favorite was one that was dedicated to playing Fleetwood Mac music (or interviews with the band, songs that inspired them, etc.). A few days later, XM changed the station so now it's featuring the music of U2 exclusively.

Every time I start the car, my favorites list still displays it as the Fleetwood Mac music station until I tap on it and then the name changes to the U2 station. But when I get out of the car and come back to it the next time? It's back to the Fleetwood Mac channel label again.

I imagine if I delete the favorite and add it back, that will fix it so it stays updated. But seems like a small bug where it doesn't actually update something with the saved favorites list automatically, just because XM renames the station.