Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog New Autopilot Feature Keeps Cars in Passing Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A new update to Tesla’s Autopilot software enables the cars to remain in the passing lane, rather than only using the left lane when there’s a slower vehicle to pass.

Tesla included the “Exit Passing Lane” feature in its 2020.36.10 software update. The feature will be available to cars equipped with Hardware 2.5 or above and the Full Self-Driving package.

Currently, vehicles operating on Autopilot are not always efficient when trying to pass other vehicles. Since the vehicle is programmed to return to the right lane, it will not continue to pass a caravan of slower cars in the right lane as a human driver might do.

Owners using Navigate on Autopilot will now need to choose settings to automatically return to the right-hand lane, otherwise the vehicle will continue traveling in the left-hand lane. 

Image: Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be related to "phantom braking" when in the passing lane. I have this problem frequently. Even with NAP turned off, while in the passing lane the car will suddenly brake, and stay in the blind spot of an outside slower vehicle, waiting for me to give the okay for a lane change behind the slower vehicle. It was NOT an option to stay in the passing lane and continue passing. I was forced to either change lanes, disable autopilot/accelerate manually, or sit there for miles while I yelled at autopilot.

I sometimes wonder if me screaming at Tesla autopilot makes for an entertaining discussion for other drivers on the road.

I don’t see this as retrograde, but rather increasing choice. Some members of this forum claim (and I believe them) that 85 mph is their usual cruising speed. For them, popping in and out of the passing lane makes no sense. They can move over if someone going 90 mph gets behind them, but I suspect that is rare. The rest of us can continue to move out of the passing lane as we should.

I don’t see this as retrograde, but rather increasing choice. Some members of this forum claim (and I believe them) that 85 mph is their usual cruising speed. For them, popping in and out of the passing lane makes no sense. They can move over if someone going 90 mph gets behind them, but I suspect that is rare.
Not rare in Texas. Speed limit is 85 on selected highways.

Reactions: totoro722
Here's something on my wish list.. When I'm in a given lane, and I'm on Navigate on AutoPilot, I'd love to have it also see the car in the lanes next to me that have their blinkers on, wanting to be in my lane. With Autopilot on, it sees the car, but doesn't seem to know or care that the car is trying to get into my lane. Makes me not feel so good, and sometimes it ends up being unsafe, if they swerve in front of me without NAP slowing down, then NAP brakes excessively.

So, Tesla, please have your cameras be able to see the blinkers of cars to the front and sides of us, in the left and right lanes.

It's all likely to be a two steps forward, one step back progress.. But we're headed in the right direction!

Dan

I do like that the feature to get out of the passing lane was left on by default. for those who don't go digging through settings very often, nothing will change for them. Personally, I have no problem overriding NOA to prevent a premature lane change since driving on autopilot still requires driver attention.

Speaking of attention, Those of us blessed with ADHD welcome the green light chime. Sometimes I'll be gazing off in the distance at other traffic or some sign holder not doing their job, or focused intently on whatever might be on the radio and I sometimes miss the change to green, so I prefer the green chime versus some road rager behind me honking their horn or my wife nagging me that my light is green. It's not just about those who text at a light.

I just don't understand why anyone would pay $8,000 for a promise that FSD will soon be available. I believe that if you put that money in Tesla stock, by the time FSD works, you will have enough money to pay cash for a new Tesla. Drive in the fast lane, auto lane changing, what a joke! I can't believe that this is promised by the crowd that lives in suburban California with four lanes of bumper to bumper stop and go driving. I always drive in the fast lane and move over if someone is on my tail if possible. In these driving conditions one has to plan a mile or two ahead to safely move over to exit. Many times one puts on the blinker and has to crowd in giving a smile and a wave of the hand to the good California driver that cooperates to let you move safely into his lane. I know people that have paid for FSD and are now turning in their leased car and are considering doing it again and have never use the the older very limited feature after trying it a few times. I have never met anyone that has benifited in any significant way more than as a toy, tried but not used. Most new cars have adaptive speed control and hazard braking. That is a real benefit. It is included in a luxury car or cost $1k in an economy car. I have cars that were made before Tesla with this feature.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why anyone would pay $8,000 for a promise that FDS will soon be available. I believe that if you put that money in Tesla stock, by the time FDS works, you will have enough money to pay cash for a new Tesla. Drive in the fast lane, auto lane changing, what a joke! I can't believe that this is promised by the crowd that lives in surban California with four lanes of bumper to bumper stop and go driving. I always drive in the fast lane and move over if someone is on my tail if possible. In these driving conditions one has to plan a mile or two ahead to safely move over to exit. Many times one puts on the blinker and has to crowd in giving a smile and a wave of the hand to the good California driver that cooperates to let you move safely into his lane. I know people that have paid for FDS and are now turning it their leased car and are considering doing it again and have never use the the older very limited feature after trying it a few times. I have never met anyone that has benifited in any significant way more than as a toy, tried but not used. Most new cars have adaptive speed control and hazard braking. That is a real benefit. It is included in a luxury car or cost $1k in an economy car. I have cars that were made before Tesla with this feature.
I purchased FSD primarily because I want to be safe and not fall asleep at the wheel on a trip (or if for some reason I do, I won't crash). FSD works very well for that. $8K is peanuts compared to a crash at 75 or 80. I've put about 7K on FSD so in the last six months, I'm satisfied that the money was well spent.

Many states require that we move out of the left lane, after passing a slower vehicle. Our ‘18 S has been suggesting that for quite some time, well before this update. It can be cancelled with a touch of the screen. Is that option going away as well?

the speed limits are designed to protect the safety of all of us. why would anyone want to exceed the speed limit.
Because many people don't have a grasp on the physics. Also a lot are convinced that speed has nothing to do with safety. While a case can be made that speed by itself doesn't cause accidents, it makes any accident much worse by injecting more energy into the crash.

I just don't understand why anyone would pay $8,000 for a promise that FSD will soon be available. I believe that if you put that money in Tesla stock, by the time FSD works, you will have enough money to pay cash for a new Tesla. Drive in the fast lane, auto lane changing, what a joke! I can't believe that this is promised by the crowd that lives in suburban California with four lanes of bumper to bumper stop and go driving. I always drive in the fast lane and move over if someone is on my tail if possible. In these driving conditions one has to plan a mile or two ahead to safely move over to exit. Many times one puts on the blinker and has to crowd in giving a smile and a wave of the hand to the good California driver that cooperates to let you move safely into his lane. I know people that have paid for FSD and are now turning in their leased car and are considering doing it again and have never use the the older very limited feature after trying it a few times. I have never met anyone that has benifited in any significant way more than as a toy, tried but not used. Most new cars have adaptive speed control and hazard braking. That is a real benefit. It is included in a luxury car or cost $1k in an economy car. I have cars that were made before Tesla with this feature.
Like many of us, I am buying "FSD" not for the fanciful marketing term, but for a safer driver-assist system. (I'm a retired software engineer who knows full well that marketing can be hype, and that software never really lives up to how it is marketed, and that the last 5-20% of features take by far most work.).

Already, the reflexes of Tesla autopilot lane-changing are better than my own on freeways, so much so that I rarely have to look in rear-view mirrors to make tense judgments. Autosteer coupled with TACC greatly reduces stress on longish trips.

But I live in a city where I do most of my driving. It needs much work here, but when it is toggled on for well-marked lanes and signage it is a boon. If Tesla can prevent less T-bone accidents from distracted drivers who miss lights or stop signs that is a societal good! I was fortunate in only paying $5K for these features -- Tesla is clearly doing "price discovery" for its value. When Musk wears his "marketing hat" saying FSD will make Teslas an asset increasing in value (rare for any car) I acknowledge that is hype. But what it can do in even only 80% of driving situations makes it worth it. I don't even care if the software will never attempt an unprotected left turn, but adapts to make right turns only. Safety in the face of crazies on the road is nearly priceless.

• Love
Reactions: Ctyler and jerry33
Because many people don't have a grasp on the physics. Also a lot are convinced that speed has nothing to do with safety. While a case can be made that speed by itself doesn't cause accidents, it makes any accident much worse by injecting more energy into the crash.

I agree with you in theory but it is impossible in practice. Until police decides to start pulling people over or installing a speed cam that dings people for 5 mph over, people will continue to push the boundaries of the law.

Unfortunately once a lawmakers gets hit with a speed cam fine, they seem to go away shortly thereafter.

I like this feature. I drove I376 to I279 home from work. To do that you have to be in the passing lane going into the Fort Pitt Tunnels. If you are not you have to get over two lanes instead of three in about 1000 ft. Before the update it would keep trying to move me out of the passing lane.