Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New backup battery? [Ford F150 lightning bi directional feature]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if what you meant was that the install is simple with an interlock; or if you meant the install could be done without a permit.

If it's the former, I don't think you can use an interlock kit with your Ford EV charger. Because on normal days, owners want to actually be able to charge their truck. The interlock kit would typically be applied so the breaker to the "generator" was locked in the open position if the breaker from the utility was closed. This isn't really what people want for normal operation of something integrated with their home since they'll want both the utility breaker and EV charger breaker to be closed.

If you meant the latter... in Contra Costa County, Alameda County, Sonoma County, and other areas near me... generators that connect to the home need to be permitted. In some cities, the plans even need to be reviewed before a permit is granted (so no e-permitting). So even the simple stuff may not be so simple for many buyers.

Sure, you can charge it with regular J1772 EVSE and plug in the 120V/240V power output into a power inlet backed by transfer switch/interlock kit when you want to use it for backup power just a backup generator. Permitting is covered by the "local code requirements" I mentioned.

Sure, you can charge it with regular J1772 EVSE and plug in the 120V/240V power output into a power inlet backed by transfer switch/interlock kit when you want to use it for backup power just a backup generator. Permitting is covered by the "local code requirements" I mentioned.
You will need Ford's special charge station and home management system. From the insidevs article linked above;

"With Ford Intelligent Backup Power, enabled by the available 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home management system Ford can help install, F-150 Lightning automatically kicks in to power your house.*

Sounds expensive.

You will need Ford's special charge station and home management system. From the insidevs article linked above;

"With Ford Intelligent Backup Power, enabled by the available 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro and home management system Ford can help install, F-150 Lightning automatically kicks in to power your house.*

Sounds expensive.

We can only speculate, but what isnt speculation is that many homes would have "challenges" in adding an 80amp circuit for continuous use to their panel, without some additional work, panel changes etc.

Sounds expensive.

You don't need that if you just want to use it like a backup generator. Ford is not only supporting automated V2H but also on-demand power for camping or job sites.

Well, there have been plenty PW vs backup generator threads in the forum.
I guess I misinterpreted what you are saying then. Using this as a portable generator substitute is one thing. As a backup generator are you suggesting back feeding the house through a receptacle from the 30A 240V receptacle in the truck? I would be surprised if that could be made code compliant even with a transfer switch.

I guess I misinterpreted what you are saying then. Using this as a portable generator substitute is one thing. As a backup generator are you suggesting back feeding the house through a receptacle from the 30A 240V receptacle in the truck? I would be surprised if that could be made code compliant even with a transfer switch.

Why do yo think it won't be code compliant with a transfer switch? It's often used for portable generators as backup power for houses.

Here is example generator usage rules from Sonoma county (Generator Safety - Sonoma County Emergency and Preparedness Information)

Connect your generator correctly​

• Plug appliances directly into the generator, or use a heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension cord that is rated (in watts or amps) at least equal to the sum of the connected appliance loads.
  • Never try to power house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet, a practice known as “back feeding.” It can lead to the electrocution of utility workers or neighbors served by the same utility transformer.
  • The only safe way to connect a generator to house wiring is to have a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Why do yo think it won't be code compliant with a transfer switch? It's often used for portable generators as backup power for houses.

Here is example generator usage rules from Sonoma county (Generator Safety - Sonoma County Emergency and Preparedness Information)

Connect your generator correctly​

• Plug appliances directly into the generator, or use a heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension cord that is rated (in watts or amps) at least equal to the sum of the connected appliance loads.
  • Never try to power house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet, a practice known as “back feeding.” It can lead to the electrocution of utility workers or neighbors served by the same utility transformer.
  • The only safe way to connect a generator to house wiring is to have a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch.
Or, drill it into your head that one must turn off main breaker at meter first before energizing wall outlet with the generator.
I have done this many times in the past; no more need though with PW.

Reactions: h2ofun
Or, drill it into your head that one must turn off main breaker at meter first before energizing wall outlet with the generator.
With a transfer switch (which is the only correct way to power a home with a backup generator) you do not need to drill into your head to turn off the main. It is part of the process to energize off of backup...

No, relying on humans to get the procedure right is not a sufficiently safe way to disconnect from the grid. Power company electrical workers do not want to rely on you. Do not do this in the future.

Cheers, Wayne

You have to purchase the "Charge Station Pro" to allow you to feed your house with power from the truck. The premium version comes with this station. Other models you can purchase it separately

That's not the only way it can power a house. It also has a 240V/120V locking outlet.

1621972720521.png

The same outlet is commonly found on larger portable generators like the one below and it's often used to provide backup power for a house.

1621973380119.png

That's not the only way it can power a house. It also has a 240V/120V locking outlet.

View attachment 666114

The same outlet is commonly found on larger portable generators like the one below and it's often used to provide backup power for a house.

View attachment 666121

Are we talking about a Ford pickup truck that hasn't been released yet, or a Honda gas generator?

Because if it's the former; Ford had said you're only going to be able to push energy back into your house from the truck if you have their more expensive trim and special charge connector. And logic states that the person who owns this fancy truck with a desire to also have resiliency is going to have to spend extra $$$ to get this installed correctly. They'll want to charge their truck on normal days when everything at the PoCo is normal. And they'll use the same plug to backfeed when the PoCo goes offline. Since it's the same plug being used for two separate purposes, the special Ford charging station and proper installation is required for both features to be had and still comply with code.

If it's the latter; then yes, you can buy a Honda generator and backfeed your house. Although where I live, you'd need a permit and implement safety features to protect line workers. Some random bloke cannot just buy a fancy Honda generator, plug it into a NEMA outlet in their mudroom then run their fridge.