Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Base Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the new AWD Model Y will use LFP then wouldn't it make sense to also have a new AWD Model 3 that uses LFP?

The SR Model 3 LFP is down on power with 0 - 60 times of 5.8 seconds instead of the previous SR+ Model 3 time of 5.3 seconds. Should we expect that the new AWD Model Y will similarly have reduced power, be slower to 60 MPH by approximately 0.5 second?

Reactions: TomServo
4680 would mean a very small battery capacity if the advertised gains of 4680 and structural battery are to be believed, which makes no sense. A LFP also doesn't really make sense based on the charging speed listed on the EPA site. My bet is a 70kwh pack in 2170 that's the new "standard" model.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
If you look at a side by side comparison between the Model Y AWD, RWD and LR, you will see that the charging time listed are 9.4, 8 and 11.5. The charge time for the model 3 LFP 60 KWH is listed at 10.4. Based on that info, the new AWD Model Y would have to have a battery pack that is like 10% smaller, thus, it would be impossible for it travel the 279 mile range esp since it uses more energy than a model 3. Also, if you look at a model 3 sr+ with NCA and a LFP, you will see that it suffer significantly in efficiency due to the heavier weight (around 7%). That is not the case with this new model Y across the board, the effiency is largely the same for the model Y awd, LR and RWD. Also, because of the similar efficiency, if it was a 4680, those specs would be highly disappointing considering the 4680 is supposed to be 16% more range for the same size battery. Based on that, a 4680 with a 60KWH battery should be very light and efficient. The only possibility with a 4680 would be something with a 85+ KWH battery that is somehow locked by tesla to limit its range to 70% of its real range (400+). Based on my calculations, the only real reasonable possibility would be something like the Model S 70D that they released, which would be a 70KWH 2170 pack that will be the new "standard" model Y. Certainly not as exciting as a LFP or 4680 car but way more realistic.